Go Bottom

SU1500 starting problems

View my Photos
kathol233
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-10-28          157545

I have continued on with my tractor not wanting to start. Cranks over, puffs out gray smoke but won't startup. Installed new battery and new glow plugs. Glow plug indicator was fried so I wired direct. Checked fuel line, injector pump and I'm getting fuel. Uncertain about whether injectors are working. Compression test read at 300 for both cylinders. Once it starts in runs just fine.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

SU1500 starting problems

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-10-28          157546

300 psi seems sort of low to me. Do you know for sure what the acceptable range for that engine should be? ....

SU1500 starting problems

View my Photos
kathol233

2008-10-28          157547

I'm still trying to find that out. ....

SU1500 starting problems

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-10-29          157549

Kathol233,

I still believe you have a compression leak-down in one or both cylinders.

You might have pitted valves, dirty or worn valve seats, worn piston rings, or a small leak past the head gasket.

Any of the above will cause difficult starting, though none of them will cause any noticeable difference in engine operation. Your engine will run just fine, once it starts.

With a very small leak in any of the areas listed above, the very low engine RPMs at start-up provides the time needed to cause a significant loss in compression prior to fuel injection.

At these low RPMs, even the smallest leak during the compression stroke will show up.

At higher operating RPMs, a small leak during the compression stroke won't be noticeable. There just isn't enough time for the leak to cause any noticeable loss of compression when the engine is running.

Joel ....

SU1500 starting problems

View my Photos
kathol233

2008-10-29          157553

thanks Joel,

I'm planning on taking it to a desial mechanic and have it looked at. I've gone as far as I can on trying to fix it. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login