Go Bottom

Shibaura sd1840 4wheel drive probs

View my Photos
DEERBERG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-11-18          175223

Having problems shifting into 4 wheel drive. No manual. Which lever is 4wheel lever? Anyone aware of an online operators manual? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-11-26          175367

Not trying to be smart here and don't know your tractor at all. First you are sure it is four wheel drive? How many levers does it have? How many do you know what they do? It would seem very simple to depress the clutch and shift one lever and release it slowly to see what happens. You might need someone to help watch to see if the pto shafts begin to turn (you may have two, one on the rear and one at the front of the transmission most call the front pto). The four wheel drive will not show anything when you do the above unless you are pulling load on soft dirt, then should see broken tire tread makes. Do not use four wheel drive on hard surfaces as it can damage the drive, no the wheels do not run the same surface speed. ....

View my Photos
DEERBERG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-12-01          175459

Thankyou for your response,was very helpful. I was previously trying the trial and error method as you suggested, but didn't go far enough. I now have a working front wheel drive. This little tractor has 5 levers on the transmission 2 . Has 3 parts to the transmission and a range selector which I think has to be coordinated with the front wheel drive. Have a 5 yr old grandson who likes to move levers. Thanks again, very helpful ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-12-01          175469

Glad to know it helped.

Five must be your number, grandson and levers. :) My oldest grandson is now 7 and at 5 he sure loved tractors.

Seriously 5 levers, that should be enough. If you have that many my thoughts are (probably wrong):
At least one for PTO. If there is a PTO shaft on the front of the transmission then 2 pto levers.
One to select 2 or 4 wheel drive.
One for low or high range.
One to select which gear.

Guessing here but think you will find that to be correct. It is also my guess you can use 4 wheel drive in either range and use either range in 2 or 4 wheel drive. Then it might only allow low range and 4 wheel drive as a combo.

Go Top

Share This

Member Login