Go Bottom

Rolling Snow

View my Photos
thisldoofarm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-09-07          116050

Does anyone roll snow? I have a 4 x 2 foot roller. Filled with windshield solvent it should not freeze. On gravel paths and the 1500 foot manure run, it would be easier than plowing. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Rolling Snow

View my Photos
StephenR
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-09-07          116052

My guess is it would be good for the early and late snows, but pack hard for deep winter snows. If it's only walking paths it would be fine.
After a HOT summer, thinking about snow is ahh... cool. ....

Rolling Snow

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-09-07          116055

The only difference between snow and ice is the state of compaction. You will be making serpentine ice rinks.

Rolling Snow

View my Photos
thisldoofarm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-09-08          116058

Up until the 1930's, all roads were rolled. You can still see the rollers occasionally along barns. For braking, it would not work, but for low velocity, eg tractor, it should be fine. Until this year, I have been simply using the tires and weight box as compactors, and have never gotten to "ICE". I do have chains. I was wondering if anyone is actually doing this. Thanks for your thoughts ....

Rolling Snow

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-09-08          116059

Depending on where you are in upstate NY you could get large amounts of snow. Packed paths are great if the temperatures stay well below freezing but packed snow turns to slush as easily as unpacked snow.

When I was a kid we used packed trails to move manure from the barn to the fields but these were just the packed tractor tracks. Over the entire winter's snowfall they got pretty thick. You really had to pay attention and stay in the two packed ruts because it was easy to slip off and get stuck.

So IMO they work if you can avoid or don't care about the sloppy times.
Dave ....

Rolling Snow

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-09-08          116064

My experience is based on 21 winters in Alaska. When it rained on top of the compacted snow up there it shut the city down.

I lost count of how many times I woke up in the morning and found my car had slid into the street overnight. ....

Rolling Snow

View my Photos
Murf

2005-09-08          116067

In reality, it won't work, at ALL......

Two main factors will rear their ugly heads.

Forst and foremost, you will have to drive through the snow with the tractor before the roller gets to it. This will leave hard-packed ruts where the wheels were, as the winter goes on it will only get rougher with each snow fall.

Secondly, unless a roller is really large in diameter, it will just push snow up in front of it until the load becomes too great and the tractor begins to lose traction.

Best of luck. ....

Rolling Snow

View my Photos
beagle

2005-09-09          116107

Around here, we plow snow immediately so the snow won't get rolled. Rolled snow will turn to ice as previously mentioned. Even below freezing, a sunny day will turn "rolled" snow to ice, at least in these parts. Becomes pretty dangerous to walk or drive on, and almost impossible to remove. ....

Rolling Snow

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-09-09          116110

Early in the year when the ground is not frozen, on a gravel driveway, I push the snow but leave a small amount and pack this so it freezes the stone hoping it won't pick-up or push stones around as easily on following snowfall removals.

Must be getting close to winter around here. The local Lowes store was setting up artifical Christmas trees and light displays yesterday. ....

Rolling Snow

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-09-09          116121

Yoop, they are setting that stuff up this late? Slackers!!

I saw Halloween stuff out 2 months ago at one local place. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login