Go Bottom

Soft edge for rear blade

View my Photos
JeffHK5
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-09-30          117183

Hello all, I have a 340' foot blacktop driveway that I have to clear snow from in the winter months. It winds down thru the woods with a couple 130 degree bends that also drop in elevation at the same time. I do my work with a BX2230 and 5' rear blade with removable mold board. The problem is that the rolling nature of my road is forcing the edges of my blade into the blacktop at various spots in the driveway . I have seen a "parishable" edge on snowplows and wondered if these are around for a 5' rear blade? They look to be made of a hard nylon type mat. that can be replaced every so often?

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Soft edge for rear blade

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-09-30          117191

Jeff;
The edges are made of Ultra High molecular weigh polyethylene(UHMwPE. You can buy the material in strips of any width up to 12 ft and length about the same. US plastics probably have it in stock. There are a few other suppliers around also if you check the web.
The strip to fit will likely cost you about $35 and shipping. I am sure if you find a dealer it will be more. Your should be able to easily drill holes in the strip to mount it. UHMWPE drills like butter. ....

Link:   US Plastics

Soft edge for rear blade

View my Photos
JD855inWI

2005-10-01          117225

I use a strip from a cow mat, from the local Fleet Farm. It is a 1/2" thick belting like material, I use a wide stip and bolt it between the blade and the replacable edge. Lasts through the winter on a 300' driveway. ....

Soft edge for rear blade

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-02          117232

As I recall; a 4' x 6' sheet of that mat costs about $39. If it holds up that well; you sure can't beat the price and have several seasons worth of material in one sheet. ....

Soft edge for rear blade

View my Photos
Peters

2005-10-02          117234

Not all cow mats are created equal. The crum recycled rubber would not stand up very well, but are softer for the cows. The belting or old conveyor belt would. I guess Murf could give us a read on how long the UHMWPE will last. The UHMWPE will work better on backed snow or ice. ....

Soft edge for rear blade

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-10-02          117249

I may be pushing the topic off on a tangent, but have you looked into those puck-type blade height adjustors they use on regular snowplows? One on each end should keep the corners from digging in. Combine that with a UHWMPE cutting strip that will wear to the proper height and you should have a great setup.

I'd be using the height adjustor puck thingys (scientific term used, of course) if I had a paved driveway. But I don't. ....

Soft edge for rear blade

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-10-03          117282

Jeff:
UHMW like Peters has said is what you want. We use allot of this stuff for various jobs at our shop and have put this edge on for some people.

Another source is Alro Steel, they have a plastics division in Louisville toll free (877)968-9980. Their closest steel branch is Dayton (800)762-3447. Web address is www.alro.com

You should be able to get a strip of this locally.

P.S. We put a beveled edge on two sides so you can flip it over and get a second edge. We also put combination square and countersunk hole to use plow bolts for fastening. ....

Soft edge for rear blade

View my Photos
Murf

2005-10-03          117289

Like Peters mentioned, we use old conveyor belting.

Conveyor belting is designed to stand up to a non-stop barrage from aggregates hitting it. We have some pieces that have probably got 6 or 7 seasons of commercial plowing on them, they are wearing down, but are still useable.

The other thing that helps a LOT is to use skid-shoes with any edge other than steel, that way the weight of the plow sits on the skid-shoes, not the soft edge. This way the rubber acts like a squeegie and merely wipes the surface clean, instead of being forced down into the surface and grinding away at the rubber.

If you ask nicely at a place that sells snowplows, or have a contact who snowplows, ask them, every plow sold comes with a set of skid-shoes that usually never get used, they will usually be able to scrounge you up a set. I know we've got dozens of sets of them in the shop.

Best of luck. ....

Soft edge for rear blade

View my Photos
KevPH

2005-10-12          117784

I use 2-ply 6" wide drive belting from TSC. Buy the belting by the foot, slot belting to fit behind the cutting blade and hang below blade about 1 1/2". If you need stiffer soft blade add two belts. works great on fine gravel and blacktop drives. ....

Soft edge for rear blade

View my Photos
JeffHK5

2005-10-12          117801

I saw that belting at TSC , gave it a thought. Would you use it with skids at both corners?

Thanks Jeff ....

Soft edge for rear blade

View my Photos
KevPH

2005-10-22          118267

I have The mushroom type skids for my 72" Woods rear blade. I have no rear problems using the skids with the soft edge installed. I used #8 limestone on my driveway (about 1/4-3/8" stone size) I do need to watch for blade digging into the stone when driveway is not frozen solid. Since, I've fabed. and added gauge wheels mounted just rear of the blade. This season will be the first snow test. At the dry test a few weeks ago, the gauge wheel worked fine to repair/level the gravel drive. ....

Soft edge for rear blade

View my Photos
Chief

2005-10-22          118268

I forgot about this idea and maybe it has already been eluded to but if you know any farmers in the area with a round baler; you may luck out and they may have a bad or worn out round baler belt that you can use. Round baler belts are about 6" wide and pretty thick and tough. Might just be exactly what you use and it could be a freebie. ;O) ....

Soft edge for rear blade

View my Photos
oneace

2005-10-22          118292

Call any place that services balers. We always had quite a stock of old belts that we would give out if needed. ....

Soft edge for rear blade

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2005-10-25          118437

cpw (CENTRAL PLOW WAREHOUSE) HAS PLASTIC AND RUBBER TYPE SACRIFICING EDGES predrilled and custom lenths. ....

Soft edge for rear blade

View my Photos
JeffHK5

2005-10-25          118440

Thanks for the info guys, it's been a great help
Jeff ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login