Go Bottom

Rear-Pull Snowblower

View my Photos
plankg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-10-25          118413

Does anybody have experience they can share with a rear-pull type snowblower? Specifically looking at the Erskine 601-RP for my JD 4300. I have ~1700 feet of driveway, ~1000 of which is gravel and the rest blacktop.

I would like to avoid plowing in reverse for a number of reasons (one of them is to "allow" SWMBO to do some of the snow removal if she so desires). I would also like to have my front bucket available for the winter for moving firewood from an unattached shed to the clean attached garage.

My only reluctance is driving over the snow before blowing it.....do these things really work, and do they do a decent job?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Rear-Pull Snowblower

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-25          118415

That particular blower no, but generally yes.

When I was kid almost every blower was home-made, most were of the pull-type and single stage.

They work quite well if the snow is light and fluffy, but can be a bit of a PITA if it was wet, heavy stuff.

Most people who want a big forward facing blower these days use a pto converter and drive shaft to a regular blower mounted out front. It can be used with, and is often carried by, the FEL, but requires the blower be removed before you can USE the FEL.

No matter how you slice it a front-mount blower is usually pretty spendy, so much so that most people just find another way to do it.

Best of luck. ....

Rear-Pull Snowblower

View my Photos
plankg

2005-10-27          118505

Thanks, Murph.....but I am still confused by your statement "That particular blower no, but generally yes."

Are you referring to all "pulled" blowers or is there something specific about this one's 2-stage design or manufacture that would lead one to caution??

Any help is welcome because I don't even know what I don't know..... ....

Rear-Pull Snowblower

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-27          118510

You might want to look at the Provenost line as they make a unique pull type with a full width auger. Remember that you first have to drive over the snow compacting it to the ground making it tough for it to work. ....

Rear-Pull Snowblower

View my Photos
Murf

2005-10-27          118515

Plank, you guessed it, I have lots of experioence with pull-type blowers, but almost none with an Erskine.

I do know of several Erskine owners who are very happy with them, but they are all conventional style blowers.

If you're going to spend the coin for a forward facing blower, I would make a pull type my last choice, not my first.

In fact I would even go as far as saying I would look at other options besides a blower at all before I went with a pull type unit.

If you were somewhere that rarely got heavy snowfalls, and it was almost always dry fluffy snow it would be different, but up there, not IMHO.

Best of luck. ....

Rear-Pull Snowblower

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-10-27          118517

Last year at an estate auction, I picked-up a 20 year old used Cub-Cadet 17 HP lawn tractor with 315 only hours with dual stage 46" snowblower, cab, chains and 3 point hitch for $850.00 and for about $40.00 they thru in a 4500 Watt belt driven generator with front mounted frame that also fits the tractor.

You may want to consider an approach something like this if you can find a deal. If you were to purchase a rear blower for your JD what would it cost. Do you already have a cab for your tractor? Having another piece of equipment means you have back-up in case one doesn't start or you're using it for something else. Do you also have a lawn tractor already that you could add this too? ....

Rear-Pull Snowblower

View my Photos
Mike in Maine

2005-12-11          120859

I would get a rear facing 3PH Blower. For that size Machine you could put a 6' blower on it. I have a new tractor coming tommorrow with a 6' Pronovost blower. I have it coming with a hydraulic flap control.

You can find info here http://www.pronovost.qc.ca/ ....

Rear-Pull Snowblower

View my Photos
grinder

2005-12-12          120883

My third winter on my provonost, works great! not one problem. Keep it greased and lube the chain often.
Pulling a blower on a gravel drive ? Does your gravel come up in the winter?(small rocks on the surface) could be trouble?
I have my best luck blowing it before anyone drives on it.
Good Luck. ....

Rear-Pull Snowblower

View my Photos
Budspwr

2016-02-20          194571

Seems no one must go down hill with a snow blower. Has anyone gone backwards moving snow? I have and it's not fun. I use a turned backwards blade on a grave drive 1/2 mile long down hill. I use the front bucket now and then to get some of a 2 foot deep snow out of the way. I do not mind running over my own tracks. Problem is that the more it snows, the narrower the drive get. A back blade is just to hard to use.

I am looking for a snow blower I can go down hill with, turn around and go up hill. Yes, I would really like a front snow blower but you'll have to give me the money for it. So, the last answer is a pull PTO snow blower for my Kioti.

Any good ones out there? ....

Rear-Pull Snowblower

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2016-02-26          194632

I have had my front mount blower and subframe for 12 years now, cost $2400 new, still going strong. It would have cost over $15000 easily to have a service do my driveway so it was actually pretty inexpensive. Have a back blade and it is good for light snow only.

I think a pull blower would have very low utility and with gravel be shear pin lover. Why go half way and be miserable! With a front blower you can wait till the storm is over before blowing it, with a rear blower you would have to calculate how many inches it can handle before you lose traction, probably just handle a couple inches at a time.

Rear-Pull Snowblower

View my Photos
Budspwr

2016-02-26          194634

Thanks for the reply. I know prices will be higher now but still desire a front blower.

What kind is best for the price roughly one that can be fitted to a Kioti KL 3054 26HP?

I would imagine much modification to the tractor should be made. ....

Rear-Pull Snowblower

View my Photos
Murf

2016-02-28          194640

You may find its cheaper to put a conventional blower up front using an adaptor / conversion kit.

Several companies make such kits, some use a drop gear box to run a driveshaft from the rear PTO under the tractor to a front harness, some use a PTO-driven hydraulic pump and hydrostatic drive a front blower, some of these can even be mounted on the FEL in place of the bucket.

Google something like "front snowblower conversion kit"

Best of luck. ....

Rear-Pull Snowblower

View my Photos
auerbach

2016-03-05          194673

Another option would be a blade (angled or "V") to attach to or replace the bucket. ....

Rear-Pull Snowblower

View my Photos
Budspwr

2016-03-05          194676

I am looking at the "V" blade as a secondary thought. I have located a welding shop in Canada but they have not replied back. Apparently they make conversion kits for many models. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login