Go Bottom

2 or 4 chains

View my Photos
David LaBrie
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-10-30          32757

I am getting ready to buy chains for my Kubota B2910. I contacted tirechains.com.They suggested chains on all 4 wheels. I will be using a rear PTO blower to clear 1/2 mile of straight, hilly drivway in central NH. What's the opinion out there, chains on rear or front and rear wheels? Can I do any damage to the tractor with either configuration?Thanks,David

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

2 or 4 chains

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-10-30          32762

I would try without chains first. The rear tires are the most common to chain but the fronts are cheaper and help with turning they sometimes have restrictions from steering linkages. To say you would need all four, no. ....

2 or 4 chains

View my Photos
TomG

2001-10-30          32769

I use a 3ph blower with turfs and agonized over the same question. I ended up with Art's solution, but not because I thought it through and planned. I agonized so long that I found myself in the middle of a bunch of snow and still no decision. Hey, I told myself feeling a bit astonished this works OK without chains. Still don't any. I did mention recently that I sometimes could use more steering to get off the highway shoulder fast. Chains on the front would help, but I never resolved the front chains only equals more wear and tear issue. I also have mentioned that I could use more traction on the few sections I do with a loader or when pushing the stuff around or stacking it. However, basically turfs without chains works just fine for my 3ph blower. A 1/2-mile drive may be near a record length for a 3ph blower. My problem would be time rather than 'pain in the neck.' For light snows, the blower would clear snow far faster than I would be willing to drive backwards. On the other hand, I'd have a real hard time giving up my loader in favour of a front blower even of the quick-change flavour. ....

2 or 4 chains

View my Photos
Elkoboy

2001-10-30          32771

I emailed Carver Equipment regarding tire chains for a B2910 as well, and they told me that front tire chains were not available and/or advisable for clearance reasons on that model. Take a look at how close that steering linkage is to the inside of the front wheels and I think you'll realize they're probably right about that.

I plan on buying chains as well for my B2910 for the rears only though, as my R4's slip sideways on uneven ground more than I like; otherwise the 4WD alone is fine for traction on driveways. ....

2 or 4 chains

View my Photos
JJT

2001-10-30          32791

I have an 800' drive that has 1 steep section and live in snow country, (upstate NY), I've had no problems without chains. I have an L3710, w/ R4, FEL and 78" rear blower. I occasionally do a 1/2 mile plus farm lane if things get too deep for my neighbor to plow, this lane is extremely steep - again, no problems w/o chains. ....

2 or 4 chains

View my Photos
David LaBrie

2001-10-31          32817

Thanks for the advise on the chains. I think I am going to go for a set on the rear tires from tirechain.com. Now I have to decide wether I to buy 2-LINK Ladder Tractor Tire Chains or 4-link, V-BAR LADDER TRACTOR TIRE CHAINS. The V-bar would give more traction, but less chain on the ground. The 2-link would give less traction but more chain on the ground.
David ....

Link:   chain types

2 or 4 chains

View my Photos
TomG

2001-11-01          32877

Some chain types are prone to falling in between the lugs on ag tires. On frozen ground, the lugs don't sink in, and the chains make very little ground contact. I think there is a solution, but I don't remember what it is. ....

2 or 4 chains

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-11-02          32915

David, I live at 7000 feet in the Rockies. The ground heres is hard, steep, and rocky with lots of snow. No mud at all, but the rocks can be sharp enough to cut tires. A few feet of snow on top of an inch of black ice would be a typical wintertime job. The ice can contain those sharp rocks, so you don't want to be spinning on it.
Thanks for including the link. For my tractor with 13.6 x 36 Ag tires (2wd) I use something very similar to the duo-grip that is the top picture. For the one with turfs, I use a closely packed ladder style on the front - I think the picture was called a 2 bar ladder. The rear turfs have a wider spacing between the ladder links....much like the picture shown. If I had afforded it, I would have more ladders on those tires as they bounce. Never have tried any of the "V links" and haven't needed them. After 20 years, all of my chains fit loosely and that doesn't hurt anything though I'm careful to check that the fronts don't interfere with the 4wd hubs and steering. Some years I do put the rubber band "spiders" on the fronts just to make sure they can't interfere.....but not always.
Some things I've found out: Chains can give you enough traction to endanger the 4wd and loader arms. You can replace a broken link with a well-wrapped galvanized wire "link" or splice and it will last as long as a real replacement link. Buy the best latching mechanisms that you can find and hang the cost. Next time you are at a garage sale pick up a set of old heavy tire chains for $5.00. They might just fit with a little pruning. If not, they are a great source of spare parts and pieces. And failing that, they make a heck of a cargo net for lifting big rocks out of holes.

2 or 4 chains

View my Photos
David Waite

2001-11-05          32959

Here is central pa I dont get as much snow as some of you and as a novice plowing for 3 winters I opted for front chains on my turfs. My MF1225 is light at 1500 lbs and when pushing snow on the side of a hill the front end tended to walk sideways into the drifts I pushed. After putting on the front chains I havent had that problem since. That happened in the light fluffy snow, the heavy wet stuff never had a problem. To put my chains on I made up a piece of tempered hardboard I had laying around and screwed 1 1/2 treated strips spaced so the chains would fall in, I drive my tractor up on the slats and it gives me enough room to move the chain around to get it good and snug. ....

2 or 4 chains

View my Photos
David LaBrie

2001-11-05          32963

David W,
Great Idea for putting on the chains! From Elkboy's post, I found out that I can't use chains on the front wheels of my Kubota 2910 because the steering linkage is too close to the tires. I guess I am going to go with the ladder chains on the rear. I will get the set that has cross ladders every 2 links. ....

2 or 4 chains

View my Photos
David Waite

2001-11-05          32974

My linkage is close when I put the chains on I keep the outer run of chain as close to the tread edge as possible, then I take up a few links more on the outside run which puts it closer to the center of the rim. Last I use plastic wire ties to secure all the loose links inside and out. this has held up the last 2 winters. I spend most of my hours on the tractor in the winter plowing snow for the retired people on my road(gratus) The company I work for has a liberal bad weather policy. ....

2 or 4 chains

View my Photos
David Waite

2001-11-05          32975

My linkage is close when I put the chains on I keep the inner run of chain as close to the tread edge as possible, then I take up a few links more on the outside run which puts it closer to the center of the rim. Last I use plastic wire ties to secure all the loose links inside and out. this has held up the last 2 winters. I spend most of my hours on the tractor in the winter plowing snow for the retired people on my road(gratus) The company I work for has a liberal bad weather policy. ....

2 or 4 chains

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-11-05          32979

Yep, my linkage is close on the front tires too. I use a set of chains on the front which have fairly small links and fit very well. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login