Go Bottom

snowblower for a 9n ford

View my Photos
Doug Ellis
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-01-20          47841

I am looking at buying a 48" ford model 715 snowblower.
Will my 9N ford tractor be able to handel it ?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

snowblower for a 9n ford

View my Photos
kay

2003-01-20          47850

Without live PTO, I doubt it would be much fun trying to blow snow with the 9N even if it does have enough power to handle it. Unless you are familiar with how that will work, I would suggest you think about attacking a big snow drift with the blower. When the blower starts to lug down, because reverse in the 9N is not real slow, you will have to shove the clutch in to take it out of gear, at which time the blower that is full of snow will stop quickly. Then you will either hope that there is enough power to engage and start the PTO turning again, and blow out the snow, or else you will have to dig all the snow out of the blower and free it up before running it again. Once it is free of snow, you put the tractor back in reverse and let out the clutch for both PTO and tractor to start moving at the same time. Back into the drift and lug the motor and do it all over again.
Or have you already experience with such a routine, and still think the 9N might handle a blower? ....

snowblower for a 9n ford

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-01-21          47869

Doug,
You'll probably have better luck at Yesterday's Tractors 8N/9N forum. I've attached the link.
Bill ....

Link:   YT Mag 8N forum

snowblower for a 9n ford

View my Photos
kay

2003-01-21          47900

""Or have you already experience with such a routine, and still think the 9N might handle a blower?""

I wish there were a way to edit posted messages. I didn't mean this last comment to sound as harsh as it does when I re-read it. I thought maybe the original poster already had plenty of 9N experience but just didn't know how it would handle the blower he specified. Sorry. ....

snowblower for a 9n ford

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-01-21          47918

Kay,
I wish that somebody would respond that has some experience with a 8/9N and a snowblower. I've never tried it, but anytime a live PTO is debated, snowblowers are always brought up. Must not work well with transmission PTOs.
Bill ....

snowblower for a 9n ford

View my Photos
TomG

2003-01-22          47933

At my own posts come up with both an edit and a delete button below my name. I sure do use the edit button a lot to redo the history of my butchered on-screen editing.

The association of snow blowers to live-pto threads may be somewhat my fault. That is one of my subjects. If the snow is a bit wet and I forget and push my 2-stage clutch all the way down, I can count on having to get off and clear the chute. I have heard of some non-stick spray stuff that might help keep the chute from clogging and might be useful for blowers without live pto's. I haven't tried anything like that because when I clog the chute I have only myself to blame. On the other hand, I have to clear two highway entrances and you can't let snow blow in front of on-coming traffic. Sometimes traffic is approaching before I notice and then it's very handy to be able to cut the blower drive immediately even if the chute does clog.

snowblower for a 9n ford

View my Photos
Smahler

2003-02-20          49601

I will throw in my experience which may not be completely helpful - I have spent time on an 8n, and time 3ph snowblowing with a live PTO case. I would echo the largest concern that operating a snowblower of any kind requires multiple speed settings. The N reverse is too fast for most snowblowing that I have done, and would cause clogging or snow to push over the blower. And the lack of live pto would be frustrating at best, especially since i have found in some conditions that stopping the blower causes it to freeze up, only to shear a pin when the clutch is re-engaged. Finally, the lack of live hydraulics would also be a bit trying, but you are already used to that if you have an N. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login