Go Bottom

Ballasting

View my Photos
Captain B
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-02-05          48733

I have a JD990 with loaded rear R4s and studded chains. I was snowblowing last weekend. The front end was too light and I lost steering control frequently. Not good. I posted a message here last summer re the light front end while mowing. Got suggestions for filing the front tires with foam or using a chain top link. Since I thought I would be better off having flexibility, I opted for more 70# suitcase weights and an optional attaching bracket. Never expected to have a ballasting problems with the FEL attached. Can't use the weights because the FEL blocks the mounting bracket. Am I correct in assuming that my best solution is filling the bucket with my suitcase weights? It'll be a pain because I want to use the bucket to move snow piles. Does that put me back to foam-filled fronts? What about the flexible top link idea for a heavy snowblower?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Ballasting

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-02-05          48735

Why can't you just keep a bucket full of snow while snowblowing? ....

Ballasting

View my Photos
TomG

2003-02-06          48750

I'm not sure what a flex-link would do for the tractor balance and one might not work so well. If I have in mind how they work, they would limit blade attack angle but might allow the blower to roll back against a load to where it wouldn't blow much snow.

I don't know from the description if there are chains on the front tires. Some people do put them on even 2wd tractors to improve steering. Running minimum air pressures also might increase traction.

I have the same situation but my steering is manageable. For comparison, the tractor/loader is about 3,000 lbs. and the 3ph blower is 550 lbs. The tractor is 4wd, turfs and no chains. There is some loss of steering when blowing deep wet snow and trying to make sharp turns. I usually go to a lower gear to slow down and lift the hitch if I'm not going to make the turn. Like you I depend on having both a fully functional loader and blower and wouldn't want to compromise either one. I do road my tractor and I understand that foam tires make for very rough rides so I might want to avoid that solution.

As an after-thought, if the flexible-link was just right it might act like me riding the 3ph when necessary. If heavy snow rolled the blower back, it should the load and act similar to me riding the 3ph. The problem would be getting it just right so the blower blade stays on the ground when you want it to.

Ballasting

View my Photos
Captain B

2003-02-06          48761

Billy--I tried the bucket of snow approach. Not heavy enough. Tom--I will try your suggestions. No chains on the front tires because no clearance. I have also given thought to welding up some kind of rack that would keep the suitcase weights linked together. I could then scoop them in an out of the bucket when I want to move snowbanks with the FEL. ATM ....

Ballasting

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-02-06          48762

What about taking a piece of railroad iron, welding a flat piece of metal on the bottom. Drill a few holes in the flat piece and somewhere in the FEL bucket and attach it when needed. You could still use the FEL for snow removal since it's attached and wouldn't come loose when dumping. It would be kinda crude and you'd have holes in your bucket but looks like it would work.

Billy ....

Ballasting

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-02-06          48763

Cap/B: I have gone to the "scoop up" FEL weight concept too.
I went to a used sports equipment store (garage sales would be even cheaper) and bought some used weight lifting plates.
Size does not matter much as long as you have the two largest match so it rolls well.

I strung them on a piece of one inch pipe. At the moment I am using 300# (about all I need for my small tractors) but there is plenty of room left on a 48" bar to stack on 500# or more.
If I need a little help rolling it into the bucket, a 2x4 or a another pipe applied like a lever to the center of the weight bar scoots it right in. ....

Ballasting

View my Photos
kay

2003-02-06          48772

Sounds like you have a pretty heavy sno-blower you are hooked up to, but the weight in the bucket (I would think some stone in a 55 gal or 30 gallon drum would be easy to roll into the bucket, and held with a safety chain) should help. Still, that is why your tractor has individual rear wheel brakes. With the sno-blower weight on the rear tires, steering with the brakes should make control of the tractor quite easy.
At least on the Deere, the individual brakes are usable. I saw some other CUT's (Blue and Red) that you could not use the individual rear brakes unless you were standing still. That I didn't understand at all. Good evidence they sell these tractors to unknowing people who don't understand or know how they need to function.

In 50 years of tractor driving, I could not have accomplished most tractor jobs not having been able to use the separate rear brakes. Too often when pulling something, the tractor wants to pull in a different direction than you want to go, as one wheel or the other will be doing the work, and you have to use the individual brake to get the other wheel to do some work, thus going in the direction (be it turning, or wanting to go straight) you want to go. The flip lock, to lock the two brake pedals together, is for road travel, where braking needs to be applied equally to both rear wheels, so one does not lose control if just one brake is applied. (This is probably more information than you wanted to know, and you may know it already, or don't believe any of it. That is your choice to take what you want of it). ....

Ballasting

View my Photos
JAZAK

2003-02-06          48778

after "listening" to this forum ,is the option of buying separate loaded front tires with wheel weights just for winter use and installing FAIR WEATHER fronts leaveing the hastle of getting off the machine or messing around with something that is going to take time to play with? I'm quiet sure you can dish off those suitcase weights right here. ....

Ballasting

View my Photos
Captain B

2003-02-06          48787

Hey great advice. Going to work with a cement-filled drum or a piece of rail (got some abandoned tracks just out back) in the bucket. It's probably about time I used the split brake peddle function. Knew it wasn't for looks but never thought I had cause to use it. Thanks. ....

Ballasting

View my Photos
Yerbyra

2003-02-06          48796

Capt.B, when you start using your split brakes for any of your tractor operations,you will think you are on a totally different machine.Do you have a problem with your tractor shutting off when fuel is at 1/2 tank or less while on a slight slope?If so, I have a 990 and got dealer to fix that problem even using my suggestion. ....

Ballasting

View my Photos
TomG

2003-02-07          48828

Thanks to Kay for the reminder. I don't know why I just don't leave the brake latch up all the time--except I do hit one only when I want both sometimes. I'd sure try brake steering to see if it works before doing anything else. It might work even better going backwards.

Along the same lines, brake steering also can work like a half-a-diff lock. Brake on the side that a rear wheel is spinning and the drive transfers over to the other wheel.

Ballasting

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-02-07          48837

Cap-B: Is the entire weight of the snowblower suspended from the 3 point while in operation, or does some of it rest on skid shoes or gauge wheels?

Could you devise some gauge wheels/skid shoes to rest the weight upon while in actual operation???? ....

Ballasting

View my Photos
Captain B

2003-02-07          48840

Mark--the weight rests on two skid plates on either side. Don't think there is anything more I can do re weight on the back end. Pretty confident now with all the helpful feedback that the solution lies with (1) portable weight in the bucket, and (2) use of the split brakes. ....

Ballasting

View my Photos
CompactUser

2003-03-01          50315

I have a JDeere 4000 compact with a front end loader. And, am only going to be using it for snow removal and for yard work (tree plannting, etc.). Do you really need rear tire ballast if you have 400-500 lbs on a 3 three point hitch? I know the manual recommends it. ....

Ballasting

View my Photos
CompactUser

2003-03-01          50316

Ooops sorry. wrong section-ignore that ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login