Go Bottom

Brake steering

View my Photos
Captain B
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-02-10          48983

I tried brake steering this weekend after getting great feedback from Kay, Yerbyra and Tom G. Huge improvement in steering and traction. Tom G was right on. It is "half-a-diff lock" when one rear wheel looses traction. In reverse it was like driving a sports car--well maybe a zero-turn mower anyway. Now I am curious about other applications for brake steering. I assume there is only limited utility on grass/fields because of concerns about tearing up turf. Suggestions?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Brake steering

View my Photos
TomG

2003-02-11          49028

I use brake steering quite a bit for compacting gravel and chopping down snow pack.

For compacting gravel, I put the loader bucket angled slightly down, raise the front wheels mostly off the ground and then back-drag the gravel. With the front wheels up, there's virtually no steering except for the brakes. I also compact by rolling a box scraper back on its rear cutter and driving forward, but the weight of the tractor on the loader bucket gives a bit more compacting. Compacting is my final step in drive maintenance. The final road way ends up much smoother because light-trucks don't rut and pot hole the new gravel before it gets compacted by the usual traffic.

Chopping down excessive snow pack on drives is a similar idea except going forward. I have to ride the bucket control to keep the blade from digging in and jack-knifing the loader. Gee, riding the bucket control and brake steering at the same time. Good thing I play a bit of drum set. Once it's chopped, I can pick it up with the loader by rolling the bucket back a bit and putting it in float.

If it's heavy ice, I cut it up first with box scraper scarifiers. The idea is similar to compacting gravel but the scarifiers are extended a notch or so. The rear cutter holds the box on the ice surface, and the scarifiers will cut about an inch so there's little chance of the scarifiers going through the ice and tearing up the drive. I know I've gotten off brake steering ideas so I'll stop.

Brake steering

View my Photos
cef2lion

2003-02-14          49251

Used brake steering last night on my 4310 while moving snow with my 430 FEL. I was going forward with the bucket pressed down filling the bucket and the tractor started going right. With the down pressure on the FEL I could not steer it. Remembering this post I pressed on the left brake and came back into line. I was impressed. I used to have a 445 and a 54 plow. I always had problems with the blade angled and having the front end push off to the side. Frustrating as I didn't have the separate brakes like my 4310.

Craig ....

Brake steering

View my Photos
TomG

2003-02-15          49282

Always good to hear when some of the 'trading tricks' around here helps. The downside to this trick is that I can get carried away and lock up one side. I have taken divots out of nicely compacted gravel or occasionally the lawn. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login