Go Bottom

snowblower question

View my Photos
Larry H.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-02-23          49815

Has anyone heard of this unit Lorenz Mdl. 530, they use padels instead of the auger. Would this be an advantage?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

snowblower question

View my Photos
TomG

2003-02-24          49878

I don't know the make but from the paddles mentioned it's probably a single-stage type. There are single-stage blowers designed for tractors, but the two-stage auger/fan types are more common.

Single and two stage types blow snow about the same distances. The main advantage of a single stage type is that with most snows they don't leave a pile of snow at the ends of runs. The main disadvantage is that they aren't as good on icy or crusty snow.

I'm not certain how the raggedness of single-stage blowers compares with two-stage types. I suspect that the high rpm drums of single-stage type make them more susceptible to damage from hitting obstructions etc. than two-stage blowers.

snowblower question

View my Photos
Larry H

2003-02-24          49935

Thanks for the info Tom, this one has 2 augers 63" W X 30" H with a 26" blower 8" deep, will it do the Job on a 24" snow fall? It calls for a 15 to 40 HP Tractor, I'l be using a Kubot 40 HP w/ shuttle shift. I hope that backing goes alright instead of a front mount! Thanks again, what a helpfull web site this is, I need to find out what you have to do to become a member. Larry ....

snowblower question

View my Photos
TomG

2003-02-25          49956

Ah, it sounds like a two-stage blower with twin augers. I've never been certain of the merits of twin vs. single augers--except that twins are often seen on larger and taller blowers used on farm tractors. I guess that for a tall blower ther'd be an advantage to using two smaller diameter augers to get the height needed to feed deep snows to the fan.

I'm guessing that a 40hp tractor should have no problem with most 2' snows when using a blower rated for up to 40 pto hp. My 24 hp Ford has little problem with most 2' snows, 2' of the salt slush stuff the highway plows throw on the foots of my drives does cause me to slow down to about .8 mph.

The thing about HP and blowers is how fast the augers feed snow to the fan and that speed is related to the diameter and rpm of the fan. A blower that uses a large diameter fan at high rpm would have an auger that feeds more snow to it, and of course that takes more power. However, it only takes more power if the snow actually is there.

Ground speed of the tractor actually controls how much snow is fed to the fan. Too fast of a ground speed and the blower just pushes snow ahead of it until you have to stop and chew away at the bank or use the loader some. Too slow a ground speed may take little power but the job takes longer. Snow blowers aren't very fast compared to plows anyway--unless the time needed to manage and push back the birms is considered. Anyway, the power needed is largely controllable by choosing a ground speed, and it's good for 3ph blowers used on gear tractors to have a bunch of reverse gears--HST is better. Joining is a matter of signing up. Membership gives you the ability to edit and delete you posts and maybe other things.

Go Top

Share This

Member Login