Go Bottom

Chains on L3130

View my Photos
blizzard
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-06          61101

Any recomendations for blowing/plowing snow? Would like fedback about tire chains. In my area we usually get at least one storm a year that includes 1/2" or more ice conditions. I have AG tires, should I use chains on all 4 wheels?
Is the best source for chains www.tirechains.com?
Thanks in advance.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Chains on L3130

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-07          61114

There are a ton of posts about chains in the archives. I build my own from worn out sets from town barn (the real best source), Only have to trade a couple of cans of coffee and a BIG box of donuts during winter for all I can carry away. Their worn out stuff is more than addequate for a little CUT. I've only needed to go 2X, Have never broke a cross link but did need to modify them for new turfs. My iron is on all 4 wheels and has all the extra cross links I can get in. (every other side link).

There is also a ton of debate about all 4 wheels or 2 wheels. I use all 4. always have. The only time I use 2 wheel is if I stick it and can not get it out by curling the bucket and need just a little extra, w/o getting out other tractor cause I'm usually by my self, I'll pick front up with bucket a stick on fronts only just to get out. Fronts are much lighter ;-)

These will work good on aggs if you keep them loose. ....

Chains on L3130

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-08-07          61122

I think there's also an archive discussion about which style of chains works best with ag tires. With some styles most of the chain ends up between the lugs and doesn't do much on ice.

Chains on the front give more steering. Some people with front plows use them even on 2wd tractors. I have turfs/4wd and a 3ph blower and still could use more steering sometimes when plowing with the loader or even making sharp turns when using the blower. However, I don't have chains and found that I really don't need chains. There's been enough traction to blow snow and do some loader work even on solid ice as long as I keep the tire pressures low. I'd probably want chains if I was plowing and then I'd want them on all four wheels.

Chains on the front only is a bad idea with a 4wd tractor according to some. Other people say they've used them that way for years without problems.

Chains on L3130

View my Photos
Art White

2003-08-07          61125

You didn't say what your driveway is made out of. I prefer none if everything is perfect. Road chains are a tighter pattern smaller link, field or farmer type are a larger link and often refered to as double ring. We have put them on both front and back on the farm tractors for winter spreading of manure in fields. They don't seem to bother the drives at all. ....

Chains on L3130

View my Photos
jvanderpla
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-08-07          61168

Chains are a good idea. I had a John Deer 4600, 4 wheel drive tractor. Even with the 4 wheel drive it would get stuck in snow. I bought a Norwegian Ice Chain from my JD dealer. They were great, kinda like skidder chains. Only had them on the rear wheels. Next time I would make my own. Go to home depot and get yourself some tow chain and shackles, its really quite easy and you make your own design ....

Chains on L3130

View my Photos
blizzard

2003-08-09          61381

Thanks for the feedback.

I finally got a reply from tirechains and the closest fit they have for my front 7.2-16 tires is for a 7.5-16 light truck. But it is a heavy 3/8" cross link type.

I'm going to order a set for the front and a set of double-ring for the back. Would like to get the Duo-Grip type but when there is no snow I can always find plenty of mud. Looks like the Double-ring type work well in both.

Maybe in about 3 months I can post how well they work (;>

bliz

Chains on L3130

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-08-09          61385

That's a tough call. Sounds like you need those ag's in the summer from the info in your profile. Ag's, even when chained up, are the antithesis of a properly designed snow tire.

Chains are designed to get traction on compacted snow. By definition, when you plow snow you are usually driving in the area you just cleared.

If I was in your shoes I might do what I had to do with my vehicles in Alaska: have a set of summer rims/tires and a different set of winter rims/tires.

And since your tractor sounds like it takes automotive size tires, I would equip it front and rear with studded radial snow tires. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login