Go Bottom

What snowblower to get

View my Photos
sbremm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-04          78833

I want to get a rear mounted snowblower for my Kubota L3130. My Kubota dealer sells a brand called Meteor. The New Holland dealer sells the Pronovost Puma line. I have heard many good things about the Puma, but not much about the Meteor. The prices are fairly close, but I am not too concered about the price anyway, I want to get the better blower. Thanks for any ideas

Stephen

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

What snowblower to get

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-04          78840

I got a 51" new meteor Snow blower and very happy with it. Very well built for the price. Built better than some higher priced ones. Where is there a dealer i bought my from ebay and it was never used. Can't find a dealer anywhere. Look at my pics. If you want more just ask. ....

What snowblower to get

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-04          78844

Stephan if you would ask for a brochure on the full line of the Provenost line you will find things to consider for comparision. Look at the size of the blower, width as well as diameter. Look at the paddles of the blower as the shape does make a difference! Look at the standard features as well as options like on the skid shoes as one might work better on your driveway then the other. I have a blacktop drive way and enjoy a good sharpe edge to cut it down but if I had a gravel driveway I wouldn't want that type. ....

What snowblower to get

View my Photos
blizzard

2004-03-05          78858

sbremm,
I'm pretty impressed with my Puma 64" blower. It does a great job clearing my 1600' drive and large working areas. It is a little sensitive to picking up rocks though. Smaller stones are no problem. If I were buying again, I'd get the 72" model which is as wide as my R1 tires at maximum width. With HST I don't think this would be a problem, just reduce speed.
You might like to peruse the posts by wigglybridge too, as I think his Blizzard blower has a couple of great features.
If you do look at the archives, please keep in mind most of my gripes relate to things I could/should have avoided.
One thought: If you buy now, will your warrantee be from time of purchase or the start of snow season?

Good luck,
bliz ....

Link:   LinkTo_RAD_Blowers

What snowblower to get

View my Photos
TomG

2004-03-05          78868

I have a 5' Meteor and it's been fine through five seasons. I think of them as basic middle quality machines that deliver good value. I'd go for another one as long as the price was appreciably lower than high-end brands. As Art mentioned, bigger fans, cupped blades and skid shoe options are worth quite a bit. I haven't bent an auger and I have backed into things but the extra ruggedness of high-end machines may be worth it.

Different skid shoes on mine might make it more useful on my gravel drives before free-up up with the standard Meteor shoes, I don't even bother trying it until the gravel is frozen and I have a good layer of snow pack built up. If I were shopping I'd sure get a hydraulic chute rotator. If I didn't have a rear outlet I might even put one on just for the blower, but if you have a rear outlet it'll likely end up almost in continuous use.. Can't say how useful a chute rotator is, although there are electric ones I hear. ....

What snowblower to get

View my Photos
sbremm

2004-03-05          78908

I have seen wigglybridge's Blizzard in person. He is my next door neighbor. It looks like a nice blower. I actually have gotten some prices on them too, just forgot to mention it in my fist post. I will definently keep them in mind too. Thanks for the info guys.

Stephen

What snowblower to get

View my Photos
grinder

2004-03-05          78914

I would make sure it has four paddles, not three.
I believe the woods has a bolt on cutting edge, but
exspensive. I'm happy with my Provonost puma.
Lot's of grease fittings!And I think you could change
the cutting edge fairly easy, though it is welded in.
Watch your shoe adj. and it should last a long time. ....

What snowblower to get

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2004-03-05          78919

Bizzard,

Is your blower a 3PH mount, if so how do like it? I see you have a 1600 foot drive so you should be a good reference for many people with long drives. ....

What snowblower to get

View my Photos
blizzard

2004-03-05          78922

Dennis,
Love it. I was spending $200-$500 per year on plow/truck repairs the last few years due to snow conditions. Spent maybe $20 this year on grease, chain lube and shear pins. Also saved many hours of plowing time and a lot of hours freezing either repairing or getting un-stuck, plus I could clear areas the truck couldn't. Just so much easier with the blower!
bliz ....

What snowblower to get

View my Photos
wigglybridge

2004-03-05          78937

Hey Stephen, heckuva way to talk to someone 300' away... but welcome! These guys are great.

Bliz has a good point on the warranty -- I didn't get my 3pt mower last fall on the same logic. Now might be the time to get a good price on a blower, though? ....

What snowblower to get

View my Photos
oneace

2004-03-05          78939

itsgottabegreen i belive we have sold some meteor blowers we are located in abbotstown pa not too far from u let me no if you would like more info ....

What snowblower to get

View my Photos
sbremm

2004-03-05          78947

wigglybridge ,
Yeah this is a great place. I need to put up some pictures of my tractor though. I might take some tommorow if the weather is good. We should get a pic of ours together some time too.

You guys do have a good point about the warrenty issue too. I hadn't thought of that. Hopefully I won't have any problems with it whenever I get it, but you never know. Thanks for the advice.

Stephen ....

What snowblower to get

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2004-03-05          78949

Yea i would if you could email me i send you my address. I want a brocure of the blower and the hydraulic rotor kit. I would like to know the specifications on them. ....

What snowblower to get

View my Photos
wigglybridge

2004-03-05          78955

In addition to the warranty, there's also just the idea of buying it and then immediately storing it. You lose the time value of your money and the opportunity cost of whatever else might come up betwixt now and then.

Still, if you found a great price on a good blower from a dealer who *really* doesn't want to store a blower (tied up cash) for 6 months, it might be worth it. Maybe you could get him to give you an extended warranty given all of that.

If you do, I recommend NOT doing what I did: storing it out in the open for awhile, and then trying to hook it up after cold weather set in... took me a long time and a lot of cursing to realize the PTO shaft wouldn't link up because it had picked up water and frozen inside, and then a long time with Jan's hair dryer to thaw it out! ....

What snowblower to get

View my Photos
grinder

2004-03-06          78980

sbrem
Do you have "Uncle Henry's" where you are in Vermont? ....

What snowblower to get

View my Photos
sbremm

2004-03-06          78984

I'm not sure when I am going to get it. I'm not really in any rush. I might be going over to Keene today, if I do I'll take another look at the Pumas. I think that is what I will end up getting eventualy. I just have a better feeling about them. If I do get it early I will store it in the garage if I don't have a shed built by then. I don't want to have to stand outside with a hair dryer!

Grinder,
What is Uncle Henry's??

Stephen ....

What snowblower to get

View my Photos
blizzard

2004-03-06          78991

Items for sale weekly. Covers Maine mostly, NH MA
Hard copy published every Thursday.
bliz ....

Link:   unclehenrys

What snowblower to get

View my Photos
blizzard

2004-03-06          78995

Dennis,
Sorry I didn't answer all your questions.
Yes, my blower is a 3PH type. Driving backwards is a little more awkward than going foreward, but the ease in changing 3PH implements, constant availability of the FEL, and no reduction in ground clearance more than make up for that!

I don't see any new posts from WoodButcher, bet he's out playing with his new Kubota!
I'm using 'Nature's snow blower' today, 37F and heavy fog!

bliz ....

What snowblower to get

View my Photos
sbremm

2004-03-06          79005

Well, I decided on the 74" Puma today. They only had one of that size and said their may be a price increase in the fall. The warranty is not an issue. They will let me keep it at the dealer for as long as I want and the warranty will start when I pick it up. Thanks for all the advice.

Stephen ....

What snowblower to get

View my Photos
grinder

2004-03-06          79036

Sbrmm
So are you saying winter is over in Vermont?

What snowblower to get

View my Photos
sbremm

2004-03-06          79066

No, I don't think winter is over yet. I hope it is, but I'm sure its not. We can still get some fairly nasty storms in March. We had hired someone to do the driveway this winter and he can finish off this season and I will start doing it next winter.

Stephen ....

What snowblower to get

View my Photos
grinder

2004-03-07          79095

Stephen
I know, I was hoping you new something I didn't with your
leaving your new blower at the dealer. I quess we both know
winter is long from over here in New England.
I think you will be happy with your Provonost. When you grease it make sure you find them all. Twice I have found
fittings after thinking I was done. I also bought some good
quality chain and cable lube in a spray can.
Which seemed to stretch quite a bit.
Good Luck with it.

What snowblower to get

View my Photos
sbremm

2004-03-07          79099

With the way the weather has been for the last week or so, it sure doesn't feel like snow. But they are saying some light snow possible for tomorrow. Hopefully they are wrong. I have had enough. Spring can get hear any time!

Stephen ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login