Go Bottom

skid steer as snow plow

View my Photos
DeTwang
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-10-29          99491

Does your standard bobcat or similar skid steer have enough power/traction to be used as a snowplow. Generally speaking 2' maximum snow, usually 1', rare occasions more than 2' but not more than once or twice per winter if at all.

Pretty much all flat road surface, but there is one short but steep hill (about 6' high by 75'-100' flat to crest back to flat total).

It would be fitted with a blade on the front of the bucket.

Would optional tracks be neccessary or even helpful at all?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

skid steer as snow plow

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-29          99492

A while back, Archdean reported he used a skidsteer to plow snow in Eagle River, Alaska with great success.

Knowing which neighborhood he lived in, I would have to say that if it worked there, it would work just about anywhere.

skid steer as snow plow

View my Photos
DeTwang

2004-10-29          99495

That's good to know. Did he happen to mention how much/fast it would handle? I have about a quarter mile of gravel road to clear to get to the county maintained road.

I've been going round and round trying to figure out whether to get a bx22 hoe/fel rig, one of those crawl around tow behind backhoe kits and use the little lawn tractor/snow blower, or get a bobcat and backhoe attachment.

I'm starting to lean towards the skid/steer, because of it's size and manuverability and usefulness for me as a general contractor, and it's easy trailerablity/compact size. Also, there seems to be a milion and one attachments for them, and they are more plentiful used.

Only downside on them is how easily they tip over backwards, and the crazy method of operating them with the two handles for driving them and feet for the bucket.

Thoughts? ....

skid steer as snow plow

View my Photos
DK35vince

2004-10-29          99498

I run a skid steer nearly every day through the summer (Case 1845C).
Very manuverable,tough and strong for their size. They are also heavy for their size, an 1845C weights close to 7000 pounds.
For grade work I much prefer the hand controls VS foot controls for the bucket/boom, I feel I have much better control with hand controls for fine grade work (my opinion)
Never used a backhoe on a skid steer, so I have no comment on that..
There is a wide variaty of attachments, but they are $$$$. ....

skid steer as snow plow

View my Photos
DeTwang

2004-10-29          99500

So not all of them use the foot controls for the bucket?

The only time I ever used one was about twenty years ago, and I panicked and tried to stop by stepping on the 'brakes'. Needless to say, this didn't stop the thing, but rather quickly raised the bucket all the way up and back, casuing the thing to roll over backwards and dump a scoop of peagravel on my head. Not fun.

Although the foreman thought it was the funniest thing he ever saw, I didn't much care for bobcats after that, but economics and ergonomics force me to take another look see.

If I can get one that drives a little more like a normal vehicle, all the better.

Anyone know much about the deere 240? I like the jointed lift arm. Would be great with a fork lift attachment for raising stuff up onto the roof or second floor. ....

skid steer as snow plow

View my Photos
DK35vince

2004-10-30          99501

Most skid steers still use the sticks for turning, but some are availible with the hand controls for the bucket/boom.
On the skid steers I most often run at the top of the steering sticks I control the bucket/boom by twisting my wrists at the top of the steering sticks. I much prefer this system. The foot peddles control attachments such as power brooms, offsetting/tilting for our mills and saws Etc.
Even with lots of experiance I still get into situations where I end up on looking straight in the air or the accasional front nose dive power slam from trying to load trucks with to much weight in the bucket at to high of speed for conditions. ....

skid steer as snow plow

View my Photos
oneace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-31          99553

Look at Nh skid loaders they are available with either foot or hand controlled boom/bucket operation. With those loaders it is almost impossible to flip them back wards. The belly ban in the rear acts like wheelie bars. ....

skid steer as snow plow

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-11-01          99620

My friend is in the process of building a cabin. Many days I was there with my Kubota w/FEL and his son in law brought over his Cat skid steer. We would always choose the skid steer for almost every job. The biggest reason is its maneuverability in tight places.

I've used Bobcats several times but I liked this Cat better by far. First of all it was really smooth running and quiet. Right hand controlled the bucket, left hand controlled the steering and hydro. That still leaves your right foot for a throttle which allows you to idle down instantly when you don't want full hydraulic flow and pressure. If I were in the market for a skidsteer, I would certainly try out the Cat.
David ....

skid steer as snow plow

View my Photos
DeTwang

2004-11-01          99675

Thanks for the input.

I like the idea of having the feet control things like braking and throttle, and the hands controlling things like sterring and the bucket (like a normal vehicle).

If andone has experience with them, I'd like to hear some input on those John Deere 240's I mentioned. I really like the 'vertical lift' system they employ on the bucket arms. Not only does it seem more stable, but more flexible as to what it can do, not to mention the insane abount of height it gets. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login