Go Bottom

Chevy GMC 4 wheel steer picups

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-03-09          107665

I've never saw one except in their TV ads a couple years ago, the local dealer said he'd never sold one so I just got to wondering if they are still produced. Has anyone on the board had any experience with one? I really don't need one, but just got to wondering how they turned out. Frank.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-09          107668

They were designed and tested by DELPHI-Steering Division which is just down the street from our shop. I understand that you can still get them but they will be discontinued soon because of lack of sales. I think they only make the 1/2 ton version. A tell tale sign of those equipped with them can be seen by a slight flare in the rear fender well, not nearly as much as a dually but just a slight bump.

I understand it is a costly option and does work pretty cool. One of the guys I went to college with in Engineering school did allot of testing on it in Michigan's U.P. in snow, ice, etc.

I've never driven one, but the ads I've seen seem really cool for backing trailers in tight places. I need a 3/4 ton truck. As I've driven past the plant, I've seen a number of them turn into the driveway and you can see the rear wheels turn. Looks kinda odd! I've also noted that the rear wheels have quite a camber to them which would make me think "uneven tire wear". The only ones I've seen on the road were driven by DELPHI engineers in and around the plant. Don't think this got much industry acceptance.

I think one of the Jap car manufacturers has this feature on one of their cars. ....

View my Photos
treeman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-09          107701

A guy at work has one. It makes a huge difference for him getting in and out of the parking spots. I think it was about a $5000us option. The axle sure looked heavy duty also. ....

View my Photos
paulss
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-03-10          107717

Everything I've heard and read about QuadraSteer has been very positive. It's a great $1200-1500 option. Unfortunately, the factory is trying to get $4500 or so for it.

As mentioned earlier, it is being discontinued. ....

View my Photos
Ardician

2005-03-10          107750

I have a friend that has one. He loves it, but it does look quite odd to see him pull in to a parallel parking place. He has nothing but good things to say about it. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login