Go Bottom

drill bit sharpener

View my Photos
countryboy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-11-16          157914

anybody got a drill bit sharpener that they recomend?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

drill bit sharpener

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-11-16          157916

Sure do: a bench grinder and sharpening attchment. I have a Drill Doctor (forgot the model), but it's a POS. Paid about $160 for it too. I have put on a better point on a drill by hand with 4" angle grinder. Really. ....

drill bit sharpener

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-11-16          157927

Thanks for the headsup. In my "should toss but you never know" drawer I have at least five sharpeners, and was looking for the DrillDoctor model that does bits bigger than half-inch, but now I won't.

I don't have the patience any more. For small ones I have a low-cost case of replacement bits, ten each of most sizes. My big ones I bring to a pro as needed. ....

drill bit sharpener

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-11-16          157930

I don't know if they are still made or not, but my Father gave me a Black and Decker sharpener probably twenty years ago. They have did the world a favor if they stopped making them, it barley had enough power to spin the stone let alone sharpen anything, even less than a total POS. I just eyeball them on a fine stone on the bench grinder and get along fine. ....

drill bit sharpener

View my Photos
greg_g

2008-11-16          157934

I got a Drill Doctor maybe six or more years ago. It works fine for bits above 1/8 inch. For that size and smaller, I just buy the cheap bits in bulk - from Harbor Freight. When they get dull, I just toss'em

That said, I've noticed a change in Drill Doctor appearance - and presumably design. Perhaps this later version is what disappointed EarthWorks.

//greg// ....

drill bit sharpener

View my Photos
countryboy

2008-11-17          157940

Thanks, I'll take a run to ACE and buy an attachment for my grinder. and Harbor for a bag of bits:-)

Countryboy ....

drill bit sharpener

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-11-17          157943

My wife gave me a Drill Doctor about 5 years ago that was just over $100. Think at that time was the only model Lowes sold. For over 1/8" is does fine IF you follow each step. Bought larger chuck for it to do 3/4". Have used it very little. I did have a simple attachement for bench grinder that I really liked. In moving lost part of it. Wheel on the grinder was the issue, needed a top quality one. ....

drill bit sharpener

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-11-17          157944

Greg, you are 100% correct. I bought mine I believe in 2001. Mine had thin, spring-metal jaws inside the collar that just couldn't get and keep the bit in the position it needed. It's a bluish-grey model with orange printing. ....

drill bit sharpener

View my Photos
countryboy

2008-11-18          157959

Now I'm looking for an attachment to sharpen bits on my bench grinder but so far I had no luck finding one. I've tried harbor freight, sears hardware, ace, rural king and northern tool. The only one I've found is at Grainger and I'm not sure it's what I think it is cause I can't see how it would attach to my grinder ....

drill bit sharpener

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-11-18          157962

Country; I've never owned one of that style myself, but my Father had one that was bolted to the bench next to the grinder that was also bolted down. Frank. ....

drill bit sharpener

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-11-18          157970

I think that like a saw-chain jig, when you learn how, freehand is as good as, and more convenient than, using a grinding-wheel guide. ....

drill bit sharpener

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-11-18          157973

Anything bigger than a 1/4th. in. I do pretty good just freehand. The smaller ones I usually either break or loose before they get dull. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login