Go Bottom

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-02-16          124636

For you guys who drive Toyota Tacomas, what kind of real world mileage are you getting? It would be great if you could post the year, engine, tranny type and mileage. I'll probably be buying one of these in the next few months and am deciding between the four cylinder or V6. If there isn't much difference in mileage I'll go for the six. No need to tow but I don't want to drive a dog either. The EPA numbers seem to be a bit unrealistic (at least they were for our Toyota Highlander).

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
dkheckmanl
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-02-16          124690

What kind of mileage are you getting with your Highlander now? I used to have a 2 wheel drive 96 Tacoma with a 4 cyl. 4 speed. It would get around 20 22 in town and 26-27 on the highway. As I recall that was pretty close to the EPA figures. Sold it to our son last year when we got our new 4-runner and just before gas prices started up (a big mistake). 4-Runner gets 16.0 to 17.5 whether in town or on highway. ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-02-17          124698

The Highlander was EPA rated at 19/23, but we're getting around 15/17. ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-02-17          124718

Ken, Do you drive alot at high altitudes? If so, maybe you have to apply an altitude factor to the EPA ratings. Do your other vehicles compare well to their ratings?
Dave ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
Murf

2006-02-17          124720

My wifes Land Rover drinks like that. Luckily she only goes about 10k miles a year.

My truck, see my picture # 18, will consistantly get 18+ mpg with no problem on 50mph highways, although I usually go nearer to 60mph on them, and will sit all day long (literally) at 75+mph and still get in the low 20's.

Yes, it's a diesel, but bear in mind it's also got a curb weight of about 8,000 pounds and the added rolling resistance of an extra pair of tires.

Best of luck. ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2006-02-17          124723

I think you have to adjust those EPA ratings for the terrain in addition to the City vs Highway. My Honda pilot is rated at 18 to 22 mpg. I do get those mpg's but only when I drive on relatively flat terrain.

Good news and bad news, right now I am driving mostly local, not city, which means I have low annual mileage, but since my local terrain is up and down all the time I only get the city rating. So those nice EPA ratings for lighter vehicles will never be realized by me so the savings of swapping out my Tundra (14 - 17 mpg) is not so attractive.

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2006-02-17          124724

Dk,

I always liked the 4 Runner but Toyota over the years has always struggled with either sluggish performance with gas guzzling or just gas guzzling on the 4 Runner. ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-02-17          124726

Never thought about the altitude or climbing. The V6 Ranger mileage is almost exactly what the EPA sticker says, the Highlander about 20% less. We live at 1100 feet and drive it 5 miles to the valley floor and back once a day. The valley floor elevation is about 150 feet or so. I figure about 15% of the miles are climbing up and down but not much climbing otherwise. The Highlander just may not be broke in yet at around 5k miles. I am really wondering what the real world mileage on the Tacoma is though. That truck has really bloated in size - wish it was smaller like it used to be. A full size diesel truck would be great but I just don't need that much truck 99.5% of the time. ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
dkheckmanl

2006-02-17          124729

Dennis, We are just about in the same boat as you. Our other vehicle is a Tundra. I had a Toyota high performance package with dual exhausts put on the Tundra back when it had 30k on it. It did help the gas mileage a little. I get between 16 and 19 with it depending on the terrain and stop and go situation. ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
dkheckmanl

2006-02-17          124730

Ken, the local Postmistress's husband has a new Tacoma. I'll see if she knows what kind of mileage he gets. ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2006-02-17          124731

DK

I have got the V8 Access Cab, what do you have? ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-02-17          124733

Thanks DK! I'm sort of surprised there aren't more Tacoma owners around here. Not everyone needs to tow their tractors :) ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
dkheckmanl

2006-02-17          124734

I have a V-8 with a standard cab which is sort of a rarity for the Tundra. I had to wait about 3 months for it when I bought it. How do you like your Pilot other than the mileage. I wanted to look at Pilot when we bought the 4-Runner but my wife drove the 4-Runner first and said this is the one. Since it is primarily her car I gave in did not even go look at the Pilot. I got a good deal through the wife of friend I used to work with. Her Dad is a Toyota dealer in OR and she is GM. Love the 4-Runner except for the mpg, but everytime I see a Pilot I think to myself "wonder what kind of mileage it gets". ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2006-02-17          124736

I had a 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee before the 2000 Tundra, the last time I test drove the 4 Runner was 2000. The Pilot is a 2005. I have owned alot of Hondas, in 2000 I got two Toyotas, the Tundra Limited access cab and the Sienna , both with leather interior. Both very good cars, but I sort missed my Honda.

I think the Pilot is a great SUV and has all of the fit finish and quality of the Honda cars, has a great ride, lots of room. I would hands down buy it again.

The 4 WD is very good (probably not quite as good as the Jeep, but very little difference), the 4WD on the Tundra is wonderful if you can instantly turn it on in time. My wife did a 360 on my driveway on ice accelerating with the Tundra in 2 WD, so the Tundra part time 4wd is useless most of time and terrific if you know you about to drive thru 24" of snow which it can do quite nicely.

For my family where we live the Honda fulltime 4WD is the better option. The braking system on the Pilot is also the best I have driven. Excellent control in emergency stops without too much palpitation in the ABS. It makes dangerous stops look normal.

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
dkheckmanl

2006-02-19          124805

K.S., I stopped Friday at the local PO to ask about the mileage on the new Tacoma. The PM is off until next Thur. or Fri. Will try again then. ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-02-19          124807

Thanks for stopping by. Please don't make a special trip on my account since a purchase is a couple of months off yet. I thought there were some tacoma owners here, but it seems not many. ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-02-20          124819

Ken.... I had a Tacoma but it was a '99 and they have changed so much I didn't think my info would help you much. ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-02-20          124820

Ken,

I have a Tundra (05) with the extened cab and V8 on flat land just above sea level. My driving is 99% local with 5 miles and then stop and go small city and I get 17 and tenths with almost every tank. Reg gas. Have no idea what the epa was.

A thought, a few years ago we had a Ford SUV with 5 speed manual. WHen we went to the mountains we got better mileage running in 4th grear than 5th. Seems the ratio was just to high for anything other than flat land. You migh try kicking over drive off when going up out the valley and see what that does.

kt ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-02-20          124822

Mark, you're right they've changed a lot. They're more like a mid-size now instead of a small truck. I'd just as soon have it be a little smaller for better mileage.

KT, the Highlander has an automatic. I don't think it's even available with a stick. The transmission logic should take care of the overdrive. 85% of our mileage on it is in flatland areas anyway. I think it's just not broken in yet. ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-02-20          124823

Ken,
Understand they only come in auto, that is about the only way to get their Tundra other than the work model also. I for one like my toyota's auto trans.
Just with the lockup transmissions I think they work a lot like manual there.
I still suspect on the right grade you will find the auto trans is not as smart as it is thought to be and will remain locked when a little lower grearing would benefit.

There is a reason it is made to be able to switch it off. Pulling trailer is much like climbing grade as to the work going on.

If your vehicle has the computer that gives you instant mileage reading this could be a very quick test.

I know this does not apply to anyone here but it sure is funny to ask people how to figure the mileage they get. No, sad.

kt ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-02-20          124831

Personally, I hate automatic transmissions. The Highlander is my wifes car and she likely wouldn't downshift anyway. The only climbing is about 4 miles/day on her way home - a small percentage of the total mileage. We didn't buy the limited package so there is no mileage computer. It was a few thousand extra for a bunch of stuff we didn't want or need that would probably break anyway. The name "limited" always bugs me - I've always wanted to ask a salesman. "In what way is it limited?". Yes, I know it's supposed to be limited edition but they dropped the edition and now it's nonsense. ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-02-20          124838

Ken,
I don't sell cars but I think I know the meaning of Limited on them. It means it is only limited by your wallet.

I mostly drove straight drive, until I just got plum tired of left leg cramps in traffic jams here with tourist traffic. As the sharks say, send more. The last ones tasted fine.
kt ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-02-20          124840

Out here we don't have a lot of traffic but driving into town during rush hour is another matter. We don't do that often. I may be forced into getting an automatic because a)It seems Toyota doesn't sell tacomas with sticks anymore, and b)Lower back troubles are cropping up and the doc says the worst thing you can do for your lower back problems is drive a stick. But I still won't like it. ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-02-20          124842

Ken, I would rather have a manual transmission too. A quick look at Edmunds for Ford, Toyota and Chevy 1/2 ton pickups shows neither Ford nor Toyota offers a stick with 4WD anymore. You can still get a Chevy in a midrange style with a stick transmission and 4WD. I hate to think this way because my Ford has been so good, but I might have to look at Chevy.
Dave ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-02-20          124849

I think the only smallish truck left out there with a stick and 4wd is a Mazda.

How does a manual transmission hurt your back? Is it the clutch and your leg or the stick with the arm/shoulder? ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-02-21          124891

The doc says that lifting your left leg to clutch while seated strains the lower back. I suppose that depends somewhat on the seating position and whether you have to hover your foot over the clutch pedal or if you can rest the heel of your foot on the floorboard. In my case I choose to blame the lousy unsupportive seats in the Ranger. There is no lumbar support whatsoever in those seats but a lumbar cushion helps immensely. ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
dfkrug

2006-02-28          125316

I bought the 04 Tacoma new (Xcab, 5sp, 4WD, V6)and amazingly I get better mileage than my 89 std cab 5sp 4WD V6 (the most reliable vehicle I ever owned). The 3.4V6 has tons more power, too. I get 19-25MPG, the latter on freeways between 60-65. Glad I missed the 05....it is huge. My buddy bought one (6sp, V6, Xcab, 4WD) and he says he can get 20. ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-02-28          125318

Thanks for the info, dfkrug. My brother has an 04 4 cylinder 2WD stick Tacoma that gets amazing mileage but I need 4WD. The bloated size of the 05 models has me bummed, but it's either that or a compact GM or Ford. Sure wish they'd shrink it back down so it's a compact truck again. ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
dkheckmanl

2006-03-01          125370

Talked to local PM. Said her husband's 4 WD 05 Kcab Tacoma gets 18-21 mpg. On a trip to CA. they did get around 21. She did not say how fast they drove. Not that great but could be worse. She did say it gets a little better mpg than her 6 cyl. 04 4-runner. Her only other comment was "he loves it". ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
dfkrug

2006-03-01          125379

ALL of the compact PUs have gotten heavier and heavier. I have 2 objections to my new Tacoma (vs my old 89 V6 Toyota): I don't like the Xtra cab...the turning radius is awful now. You can not get the V6 4x4 Tacoma with std cab. The second reason is that they have made the suspension softer so the cargo capacity is less than before, too. I got the TRD option (shocks and logo), and that helps the handling, but 1500lb in the bed is too much. I tried it and the suspension bottoms out easily. I am now set up to haul my custom-made dually trailer (limited to 6000 lb). ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
dkheckmanl

2006-03-02          125457

KS, Looking at the EPA ratings (17-21) for the V6 4WD, I am guessing you will get 15-18mpg. The figures the gal at the PO gave me were in line with EPA ratings and as we all know that never seems to happen even under ideal conditions.
Out of curosity do you live on the south side or the north side of the Sunset Highway. I bought one of my dogs from a border collie breeder who lived in the Gales Creek area. I like that country out in the Forest Grove-McMinville area, just wish it didn't have all that cloudy rainy weather from Nov. to May. ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
dfkrug

2006-03-03          125497

More on the Tacoma..... These well-made trucks are assembled in my backyard (Fremont, CA) and use components from all over the world, incl beds from Mexico and frames from Dana Corp in CA. I went on a tour of the factory last summer; it was great. They made over 400,000 vehicles there last year. I have had many Toyotas, incl the 1st generation 4x4 truck (1980), which I used to take 4-wheeling in the Rockies, Sierras, and AZ desert. The gas mileage of this 3000# 2-liter under-powered truck was only 19 in the best of circumstances. ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
Peters

2006-03-03          125502

I am dissapointed that we can not get the diesel Tacoma like the rest of the world. I think I could live with 160 hp high torque diesel for the 33 mpg. If I add biodiesel in the mix. Yahoo!!! ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-03-04          125569

DH, thanks for the info. I might test drive the I4 to see if it has adequate power. Most of the time I drive around empty and don't tow. We're north of the sunset about 12-13 miles due north from Forest Grove. You're right about the clouds, but the summers are gorgeous.

Peters, if there was even a rumour of them bringing the diesel Tacoma here I'd buy something used until then. Anyone hear any rumors? ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
Peters

2006-03-04          125573

I have not heard about that, but I did hear they might bring in the Land Rovers. I also hear the 12,000 diesel Jeep Liberties were snapped up quickly. ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
dkheckmanl

2006-03-05          125575

Have not heard anything about a diesel in the Tacoma just that the new HD Tundra will avalable with diesel and hybrid options. ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-03-05          125583

Not a rumor anymore......... ....

Link:   Toyota Blows Away Chicago Showgoers with All-new Full-Size 2007 Tundra

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-03-05          125584

Here is some diesel talk......... ....

Link:   Tundra diesel

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-03-05          125588

Now if they could put a diesel in the tacoma I'd have it made. They could shrink it a little, too, but that wouldn't be a deal killer. ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
dfkrug

2006-03-05          125595

A Tacoma Diesel would be interesting. Or a Frontier Diesel. Here in CA, the emissions restrictions are getting tougher and tougher, esp for Diesels and 2-strokes. I just paid $2.80 for Diesel, with regular gas $2.40 at the same station. Factor that in. Used to be Diesel was cheaper, and maybe it still is for you guys outside CA. ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-03-05          125598

Diesel here is around 15 cents more. If diesel is 5-10% more but mileage is 20-25% better you still come out ahead. But mileage isn't guaranteed any more than fuel cost. I've heard the Jeep Liberty diesel is doesn't get a lot better mileage than the gas version. A lot depends on the price premium they would want. It seems like there's never a clear cut way to go. ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
Peters

2006-03-05          125603

Doing a little research on the Liberty CRD real life I see people claiming 25 mpg combined. This is the 4X as it is only available in the 4x. The EPA numbers on the same models with the V6 are 19. I guess that is about 31%. The torque numbers of both engines are similar.
The number I calculated from the Australian and European combined numbers was 33 for the Hilux/Tacoma. US EPA numbers are about 23.5. I calculate that to be a 40.4% increase.
The Toyota engine is likely a more efficient design than the US Detroit Diesel in the Liberty. ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-03-06          125616

Peters, the local Jeep dealer I spoke with had numbers that are different than your research turned up. He said people were getting about 21/23 with the diesel. Doesn't matter to me since we aren't buying one. ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
Peters

2006-03-06          125617

I have a friend at a local dealer, that sell a lot of trucks, they saw 1. He could tell me little about the performance as I don't believe they had seen it back.
I saw two people on the web with the 25 mpg, one auto reviewer on long term test and on customer with some miles.
With the Feds adding the additional 25 cents tax on diesel it makes it harder to justify the additional $1800 dollars cost for the truck. But with the increase in cost of fuel it is still just about 90,000 miles.
I can understand the additional tax on the road trucks as they are the ones distroying the roads, but for light cars and trucks in diesel to me makes no sense. ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
Murf

2006-03-06          125618

The Jeep isn't the only Euro diesel to cross the big pond.

The all-new Land Rover TD will be here soon.

Also of note, the last paragraph of the linked article.

The DIESEL F-150 is just down the road folks.

Best of luck. ....

Link:   The Land Rover Chronicles

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
Peters

2006-03-06          125619

The diesel price difference on the VW are about $1500. The mileage difference is closer to 50%. The payback point is a little over 70,000 miles. With diesel and gas prices at $2.20 and $2.40. As gas prices increase this changes.
Naturally with the differential being only 8-10 cents CDN, and prices higher our friend Murf has a much shorter pay back period than us. For example with the Golf he could pay off the $1500 dollar in 50,000 miles. ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
tim cronk

2006-03-14          126128

2005 tacoma 6cyl 6 speed xtra cab 4wd average 17 and that is mostly highway ..... if you take it easy and limit speed at 65mph and below it gets almost 21 ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-03-14          126136

Anyone know what the 2007 Tacoma models have in store? I'm leaning towards the 4 cylinder if I get a 2006 since they are rated at about 15% better mileage than the 6. The Toyota 4 has the same power as the v6 in the Ranger and the Ranger has plenty of power for my needs. ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
Tl1000guy

2006-04-04          127170

I have a 1997 Toyota Tacoma xtra cab vr5 V6. It is an automatic and seems to get around 17-18 miles per gallon. It seems to be happiest just cruising along on country roads. On the highway at about 65-70 it will get about 19mpg. I have never gotten over 20 with the truck. A standard will supposedly get around 22mpg. Hope this helps. ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
wayne mowrey

2006-04-23          128178

Just throwing in my 2 cents about toyota tacoma mileage, I have a 2001 toyota tacoma extra cab prerunner v6 automatic I also have the trd package so the larger tires so it looks like the 4x4 but it isnt since I have never needed the 4 wheel drive to get out or do any towing, I have towed boats, I had a car trailer 18 foot and towed a 69 nova, camaro and several cars on it without any problems, I dont recommend towing this much weight but I have done it several times and it towed everything down the road without any problems,As far as miles I have 68000 miles I run all synthetic oils, transmission, rear end ,and engine oil, The best mileage I have got on the highway is 22 mpg going around 60, when I go around 72 to stay with traffic it gets around 20.6 my all around mileage is around 19 since i am on the road a lot so hope this helps. ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
magnum1990

2006-06-29          131523

I have a 2005, double cab, long bed, 4x4, TRD sport pkg, tow pkg, 4.0 ltr, V-6, Automatic trans with every option available except leather. As of june 2006, I had 10,000 miles on it. I get 16 mpg around town and 20 mpg on the hwy. usually driving around 65mph. I live in the blue ridge mtns. of VA so there is alot of hill travel. I sometimes tow a Cub Cadet 7532 with FEL and backhoe on a double axle, 16 foot trailer.(about 6,000 lbs.) When I do this, I get 12 mpg around town and about 17 mpg on the hwy. driving at 55mph. I have found that following the manufac. rec. octane rating of 92 or better gets me the higher end of the mpg spectrum, but not by much. The big bonus of using the high octane is that the computer is calibrated to generate 245 hp only when using super unleaded. Comparing the old style tacomas with their anemic 185hp v-6 to the new tacoma and its 245hp v-6 is not going to give you an accurate mpg estimate. The top tow rating for the new tacoma is 6500lbs if you get all the factory options needed. If you only tow occasionally, and in the 2-3k lbs range, My advice would be to go for the 4 cyl. IF YOU WANT A DOUBLE CAB, GET THE V-6!! The extra weight of the double cab demands the V-6. Hope this helps. ....

Tacoma mileage survey

View my Photos
HAWAIIANBOB

2007-01-24          139119

ALOHA! ALL YOU GUYS, CHECK OUT MY GAS MILEAGE AND WHAT I DO TO GET IT. ALSO KEP YOUR TIRES ALITTLE OVER INFLATED 5 LBS. ALOHA ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login