Go Bottom

Input on New Tires for Tundra

View my Photos
dkheckmanl
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-01-06          138512

I am getting ready to buy new tires for my 2000 4WD Tundra. Since I will be driving through the Blue Mountains with winter, I need something with good traction on packed snow and ice. Also want something that rides and handles well yet not too noisee. Would like to get 40 to 50k before I have to replace them.

Been looking at the Bridgestone Dueler AT/Revo among others. Anyone had good luck with this tire or any other similar ones?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-01-06          138514

I think the Michelin LTX have gotten good reviews. We have Bridgestone Duelers that came OEM on our Highlander - junk tires as far as I'm concerned. We will probably get about 25k miles on that set. I don't know if the OEM version is different from what you're looking at but ours had 9/32" of tread on them brand new. I usually expect a minimum of 12/32" on a good set of tires. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-01-06          138519

With the exception of the second set of tires (Michelins) I have on my '03 Ram, I prefer BFGoodrich All Terrains or Trail TAs. When I got the Michelins my choices for a Load Range E tires in a 17" size were not many. Trails are nicer on the road. I don't get more than 15,000 miles out of mine but I drive and pull hard, and it's diesel, extended cab and 4x4 so that tears them up quicker. Now, my buddies who use BFG's get 50,000-75,000 on them on their daily drivers. On the Tundra I'd lower rear air pressure by 10-15 lb. or more depending on how it's weight is distributed. I had a 1990 Jeep Comanche pickup with 30" BGF AT's that looked like they were in need of a little air. Turned out they had about 15 psi in them. The stiff sidewalls were what was holding up the truck. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-01-07          138524

I have a 2000 Tundra Access Cab V8, I got 30,000 miles out of the OEM BF Goodrich tires before the Traction was so bad they were useless.

I replaced them with Michelin Cross Terrains which ride really smooth, and have pretty good traction, much better than my experience witht the BFG. I have 35000 miles on these now and am trading the truck in, the dealer accepted the tires as like new, so no deduction for rubber, nice.

Since I really didn't do any trailering or heavy loads with my truck these were fine, if you are doing stuff like earthwrks, you need to check the load ratings.

On my Honda Pilot I have the totally garbage Goodyear Integrity tires OEMs, can't balance them, and am looking to replace them at only 24k miles. I have done some research and heard good things on the Michelin LTX and also the Bridgestone Duelers.

I used to work for a tire cord manufacturer that built a plant in France to supply cord to Michelin. After a couple of years they were never able to meet Michelins' very high quality standard, they then had to ship the tire cord they made back to the US where they sold it to Bridgestone.

Knowing this I have been leery to buy Bridgestones. ....

View my Photos
dkheckmanl

2007-01-08          138578

One tire I am looking at is the Nitto Terra Grappler. It is a 8 ply LT all terrain tire that got high ratings from Consumers for what ever that it worth. Suppose to be a 40-45k mile tire. $600. out the door which is lower price that some of the others I have looked at.

Dennis, what are you trading your Tundra for?

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-01-08          138581

I am a little embaressed to say that now that my kids are getting a little too big for the access cab, and gasoline prices have become more volatile, I am leaving the pickup truck market ;)

Going for a small SUV with better mileage and more room for the family and their gear. Decided to go with the 2007 Honda Crv EX. Its gona be a shock going from the 5000 pound V8 to the little 4 banger, but my truck is 7 years old and I don't like messing with the vehicles like I used to when I was younger, plus that $1000 brake job from my Toyota Dealer convinced me that if anything serious went wrong with it, I would pay dearly for it.

The Dealer gave me $13k for the Tundra, so I was happy, I get the new CRV in 2 weeks when it comes in.

Dennis ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-01-08          138585

DK,
I have a 2004 Tundra Access cab. The Goodrich's were only good for picking up road trash putting holes in my tires. A tire dealer happened to mention the Goodrich were bad for that. He said he had no idea why and did not know I had 3 tires to have such flats.

Not sure on the 2000, but mine per local Toyota dealership is very senstive to the tires. Air pressure and the whole line. Per him the specs on what will vibrate my pickup is much less than the tire industry specs (per two tire dealerships). I fought vibration for about 3 months with trips to two tire dealerships and one service station that sells tires to be told the tires are fine and the Toyota dealership told me real quick the tires you have are out of spec for that pickup. Wish I had bought Michelin. But those French...

I really would talk with the service dept and ask them on tires they recommend, wish I had. ....

View my Photos
dkheckmanl

2007-01-11          138699

Dennis, I have about decided on the Michelin Cross Terrains. Did you ever have them on packed snow or ice and how did they do if you did?

I was looking also at the LTX but Costco does not have them in stock and I need them pretty quick.

Dave

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-01-11          138700

I have driven the Tundra through Blizzard conditons where NJ closed the roads down (I did not know it at the time, I was out of Diesel, Dah! LOL). I must have gone through 2 miles of 1.5 foot unplowed no problem. Likewise I climbed my neighbors unplowed steep triple switchback drive in deep snow just to put tracks in it for him when he was away.

On the other hand my wife did a 360 with the Tundra on the flat portion of my drive on black ice accelerating --heavy foot for a little lady-- so its not like studs ;)

I just saw some Yokohanna Geolanders on a Acura MDX that looked a nice tread for being grippy, but don't know much about the brand.

Dennis

Dennis ....

View my Photos
backwoodsal

2007-03-29          140832

I would tell anyone to by the BFG all terrains KO's. My Tundra has about 130K now and is on it's second set of BFG's. They may not be the smoothest riding tires, not that they are bad, but I run them year round up here in Vermont. Any tire that hands snow, mud, etc and lasts 50k miles with great traction is worht the extra money. Because the Tundra uses 265/70s (BFG doesn't off it in this size) but the tire dealer said Toyota recomends a slightly wider tire (275/somethings) as an alternate. They don't make any noise that I've noticed. I think Tirerack has user comments. ....

View my Photos
dkheckmanl

2007-05-08          141933

Thought I would follow up on this subject. Ended up getting the Michelin LTX M/S back in early Feb. Have put about 10k on them since then. Have been very pleased on the way they handled dry and wet pavement as well as in and on snow. Was lucky ann never encountered any black ice. If treadwear is good, I will probably buy them again. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login