Go Bottom

Skid Plate and wrong weight Oil

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-10-01          43170

1) The Stock skid plate is major pain, to avoid spills you need to remove it or buy a Skid-Row skid plate which has better access

2) I guess I am getting old, when I went to Pep Boys they had the synthetic oil in this Gravity feed display, and I grabbed what I thought was the recommended 5w30, but only the first bottle was 5w30 all the others were 5w50 Castrol Syntec.

You guesded it both my trucks were drained before I realized I had the wrong weight.

Any thoughts if that is a problem for my Toyotas?? versus the recomended 5w30???

Dennis
CTB

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-10-01          43177

The first number is the viscosity at 0 F and the second is the viscsity at 210 F. If the oil pressures are OK at temperature you are just getting a little protection against viscosity reduction at high temperatures.
A lot of the car manuals do not give the 5W-45 and 5W-50. You have to have synthetic to achieve those multiweigh grades. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-10-01          43186

Dennis,(Peters, correct me if I'm wrong)The only reason the manufacturers tell you to use 5w30 is they are strongarmed by EPA or somebody into eeking out the last 1/100 of a mile per gallon in CAFE (corporate average fuel economy) tests which bear no relationship to real world driving. I noticed maybe a mile per gallon difference in fuel economy in my Tacoma between 5w30 synthetic and 15w50 syn. You certainly cannot harm your engine with 5w50 oil and some folks would say it is better protection all the way around.
And I agree, those skid plates are a pain in the democrat. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2002-10-01          43195

I had never thought of it that way Mark, but you are probably correct they do not what you to use the heavier oil except due to CAFA regs. The 15W-45 is a heavier weight oil though and I would not necessarily recommend the oil in NJ in the winter. The 5W-50 is only heavier at the higher temperature, you would loose power due to splash losses in the pan, put not much. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-10-01          43204

Gee, I was so smug. Did I get the CAFE thing wrong? Oh, the shame! ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2002-10-02          43213

Before I posted this I went to the Castrol web site hoping to find out some useful info about their synthetic oil and oil viscosity, hey that has got to be one of the worst Corporate Web sites I have seen, made me feel like Castrol is really just a marketing company with a suite in some office park that just orders the stuff from some one else like the wd40 boys do and did.

I bought Mobil 1 for my next change.

Dennis
CTB ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login