Go Bottom

Toyota Tundra Brake warning light comes on

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-29          67481

My 2000 Toyota Tundra Brake warning light is now coming on when I hit the brakes fairly hard from about 45 MPH. I I do sense that the Truck is not stopping as straight as it should or as quickly, hey but maybe its my imagination now that I see the light come on. Sort of Pavlovian! :)

I have not tested it at other speeds yet, but I searched the web for a Tundra Brake problem and came up with the link below.

I'm hoping this is just one group of atypical cases, and that I just need to add some brake fluid. But man these people sound like they were loaded with wacky experiences that have not been the case in my 28000 miles of use so far.

Dennis
TractorPoint

Link:   Tundra Brake Problems

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kadorken
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-10-30          67514

Dennis, my experience with a 2000 avalon (the other vehicle is a tundra..) with the brake light was the fluid level being down.

Eventually, we traced the problem to a pinhole leak inside the master cylinder where leaked fluid was never present visibly outside since the vacuum assist on the master cylinder was sucking up the leakage into the engine vacuum system.

View my Photos
AC5ZO
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-30          67534

I believe on my old toyota that the only brake warning light was for fluid level.

The only other brake warning system that I have seen involves a sensor to measure the relative displacements between independent front and rear coaxial master cylinders. That system will actually tell you if there is more fluid being sent to the front. (indicating worn pads or shoes) This is not a new system, but you can tell if your Toyota has it if there is a switch element about half way down the master cylinder body.

Either one of these systems might actuate on hard braking. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-11-13          68634

Dennis, how did this problem resolve? ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2003-11-13          68635

Mark,

I checked the brake fluid and it was just slightly above the MIN line. I added some fluid and it seems to be fine now. The hard braking I did was going down a hill and the slopping around probably made the light go off.

PS I also got new Michelin Cross Terrain tires, $700 ouch.. I am not slipping anymore amen....

Dennis ....

View my Photos
amijean
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-06-20          88995

you know when that light comes on you need your front brakes looked at adding fluid is a quick fix for your eyes and not your safty. also you might look at the recalls some new tundras have rear drum recalls ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2004-06-21          89025

I checked the linings on the front disks and they looked good to me. I did not check the rear drums. What problems have you seen on Tundra Recalls?

Go Top

Share This

Member Login