Go Bottom

The right tool for the job

View my Photos
MacDaddy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-09          101973

I am considering the purchase of a JD 4410 (35hp) with a loader and backhoe to use for general maintenance on my 22 Ac. parcel of land. I purchased the land recently, and there is a lot of site work to be performed. I plan to have two cottages, and a barn about 1800’ off the main road. The driveway is already in, but there will a lot of other work to prep. the house sites. My question is this: is it realistic to think that I can use the hoe to dig an 1800’ long trench, 3-feet deep for electric & telephone using this attachment? Keep in mind that time is not a major consideration as this is my own property. I also plan to dig several hundred feet of drainage swale and/or trench. Other uses may include stumping, foundation excavation etc. Just wondering if this is too small a tool for the job, and are there certain things I should just hire out. Thanks in advance.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
shortmagnum
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-09          101980

Assuming it would take two minutes to dig a three foot deep trench six feet (I'm thinking six scoops with the BH?), and another two minutes each time you move the rig, it should take about 20 hours to dig the 1800 feet, probably less. Then maybe another half day to backfill. Of course that's just my estimate. If I had the time I would probably try it. Plus it's a good excuse to buy a tractor. :)
Dave ....

View my Photos
DK35vince
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-12-09          101982

I used my 35 HP tractor with an 8 1/2' backhoe to dig around 1500' of utility lines at 40" deep this summer.
Also dug approx. 800' of drainage ditch at 18" deep.
I thought it worked out quite well.
The building foundation my be a differant story, depending on the size and depth you need. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2004-12-09          101983

I'd do it! Hopefully your soil is not hardpan or shale. Which would not be a real bad thhing because your trench walls would be somewhat stable. If you are in loose soil the banks would cave before you got the full lenght. You might wanna consider placing your conduit as you go so caving would not be a concern.

Leave your ends wide open to pull your cable in a straight pull. ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2004-12-09          101984

The digging was the easiest part. Putting the electric conduit in ,laying the water line (also placed 4" of sand around the water line) and backfilling/leveling took the longest.
Harvey made a good point, lay you conduit or water line as you go. The ditch can and will cave in.. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-12-09          101985

DK35, How many hours do you figure it took you to dig the 1500'? I've got a similar project in mind but that would only require about 3-400' of trench. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-12-09          102000

I realy don't have an idea how manty total feet of trench I dug this summer for everything from electrical conduit 3.5 to 4 ft. deep to fotings for buildings and a house addition. But long as you don't get into sand that caves faster than you can dig or hit limrstone, big rocks that you can't go around you'll do just fine. Mine is a Deere #48 on a 4310. Great therapy. Frank. ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2004-12-09          102008

400' at 3' deep will take the best part of a day to dig.
Figure another full day or more to lay the pipe or conduit, backfill and level.
It still beats paying a contractor to do it or renting if you already have what you need to do the job. ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2004-12-09          102012

One other thing that worked well for me. When backfilling the ditch, I left the dirt right in the ditch area high and tryed to run it in with the tires best I could.
Then used my tiller and tilled the ditch and sorrounding area. Worked real nice. I did have some settling in the ditch after heavy rains, but not bad.. ....

View my Photos
WillieH

2004-12-09          102016

MacDaddy-
You should not have any problems at all, other than the boulder you'll find, oh usually about half way thru your job, right after you comment to yourself how cool this is, and how well it is going! We've all been there, trust me.

Realistically speaking though, I do not have a Deere with a hoe, rather an older Kubota with a (try not to laugh too loud now) 13.5HP 3cyl deisel. My hoe is a Woods 650 which yields a 6.5' digging depth. I have never had so much fun digging ditches, trenches, foundations, curtain drains, boat launch ramps (with serious boulders to move), tree transplants, etc, as I have with the 650. It is driven with 11 HP at the pto, just to give an example of what your rig's potential would be like.

What's more, is that as soon as neighbors and passers by realize it, they will be hiring you out; and who will turn down extra cash?! I cannot begin to tell you how many jobs that I have done for people over the years - most by seeing the orange sitting in the yard, or by word of mouth.

Time wise for the trench, it may start out slow, but once you get going you will find the tricks and you'll be surprised how fast you are working.

I do not know if you were digging in established grassy area or not, however if you were, what I do to save the lawn area, I lay down plastic sheeting and set the dirt on it on one side of the trench, and the turf on the other side. That way, when you backfill you can merely push off the plastic (which is usually slippery) without the soil sticking, and easy clean up. Once finished, pick up the plastic and the turf has been preserved beneath. Then you can take the saved turf, and relay over packed trench area.
It may seem like alot extra, but I have had many positive comments on the practice from customers and, it really does not take that much longer time. Happy Digging!
My thoughts -
-Willie H. ....

View my Photos
MacDaddy

2004-12-10          102027

I will be digging through an open field. Soils are mostly saturated clay. My one concern is that the bucket will clog.... and yes, the occasional boulder. Also... Are these backhoe attachments expensive to maintain? Any common mistakes beginners make with these that result in expensive repairs? ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-12-10          102029

McDaddy; Yes a bucket will clog occasionaly in wet tight clay, it seems that the wider the bucket the less lkely it is to clog. I've really never spent anything so far as repairs yet. Don't know much about other brands, but a #48 Deere has lots of grease zerks, but it really only takes 15 minutes or so to lube it plus that gives you a chance to look it over good for loose bolts. a pinched hose, etc. Far as anything to be carefull of, just read your owners manual, follow it to the letter, don't try to make a big hoe out of a small one, and you'll do just fine. happy diging. Frank. ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2004-12-10          102031

I haven't had any repair $ spent on my backhoe so far.
It is a Rhino 85 with subframe and 18" bucket, mounted on a DK 35 Kioti tractor.
I have been real pleased with its performance, power and speed. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-12-10          102044

Small buckets do have a tendency to clog more, but holes in the back of the bucket will help a lot with that problem. It relieves the suction that causes wet clay to stick. I've seen small buckets with holes in them, but my 13" JD bucket doesn't have them. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-12-12          102128

Fasten a level onto the control panel so you will always set your feet so the unit is setting level. Makes digging a lot easier. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-12-12          102135

Art; About the second time I used the hoe I taped a two dollar Mennards torpedo level to the grab bar in front of the control sticks. Mine is far from perfect level but it sure helps. Frank. ....

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2004-12-14          102260

I HAVE DUG 300 FT OF TRENCH FOR MY POWER LINE/CABLE/TELE. WITH MY 7 SERIES HOE. A SOLID 4FT DOWN. WITH 3 INCH SCHED 80
LIKE MENTIONED BEFORE ,HALF WAY I THOUGHT I WAS DOING WELL UNTIL I HIT A VOLKSWAGEN BUG IN THE GROUND.
WELL I TRIED TO DIG AROUND IT BUT ENDED UP USING A ELECTRIC JACK HAMMER AND SCOOPED THE PIECES OUT.
GOT IT COVERED AND WERE UP AND RUNNING.
MY 13 INCH BUCKET HAS HOLES IN THE BOTTOM TO PREVENT THE CLAY FROM STICKING/THE CLAY CANT CREATE A VACUME AS IT FALLS OUT OF THE BUCKET ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-12-14          102264

If you are going to be digging over a lot of indifferent ground you might want to talk to your dealer about also installing the Deere rental package as it can save you repairs underneath the tractor. You also need to consider that the full subframe hoes do cut the ground clearance a bit. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login