Go Bottom

Considering a Koyker 60 Backhoe - Comments

View my Photos
jobewan
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-05-30          130102

This is my first post on this board but from the great information on equipment I've read so far, it looks like a place where my question will get an unbiased and thoughtful answer.

I'm considering a Koyker 60 3 pt. Backhoe for my Kubota B7510. I'de appreciate your comments if you have some experience with this model. Good or Bad? Plusses, Minuses? any Maintenance issues I should know about? Warranty? Repair parts availability?

I know this is a made in the USA product which I like & yes, I know my tractor wasn't. But, be that as it may, if I can, I'de like to buy US made.

Tanks in advance for your time and thoughts.
Joe

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
petegoud

2006-05-31          130129

I've been using that Koyker backhoe for a couple of years now. No complaints, but I DON'T use it in the same manner I would a regular backhoe. It's mainly used for digging 2-3 foot ditches and a small stump every now and then. I'm using it on a Kubota L245DT. ....

View my Photos
WillieH
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-04          130399

Joe -

I have a Koyker 60, or I guess it is a KB60, depending how you look at it. It is several years old now. I also have a Woods 650 backhoe. Both are set up for three point self contained use.

What I notice, is that the Koyker sits lower on the 3pt arms than the Woods unit does, thereby allowing less clearance under the hoe at times.

Both real decent machines...weight wise, the Koyker comes in at about 600 lbs, where as the Woods is a bit heavier at close to 1100 lbs.

Hope this helps ~

- Willie H ....

View my Photos
petegoud

2006-06-06          130546

I'm wondering if the backhoe will be attached via the 3-point only, if the Woods may add a lot more stress to the tractor. If it had a subframe the heavier Woods would be the way to go. ....

View my Photos
WillieH
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-06          130573

It really depends on what your planning on doing with it, and more importantly how your doing it.

From a subframe standpoint, the B7500 series (7510 included), when having either the factory FEL LA272 or 302 installed, only has a frame that travels to the center area of the tractor - nothing to lock the frame farther back. If you were to examine the B7800, you would see that there is a plate on each side of the tractor's rear frame. This is to give added support for 3pt weighting.

I have my Woods 6500 on my B5200 with no subframe from Woods. However, this tractor has a factory loader (1640A) that has a full subframe from nose, to mid mount, to rear mount, locking the entire tractor framing together avoiding the strain that ultimately would end up in a tractor splitting in half.
This is not to say, that the strain would not be seen on the top link bracket or draft arms from a loose anchoring (always draw checks up tight to avoid twists when operating the hoe), however, if the hoe is operated correctly, and within it's abilities and the tractor's that it has been mounted to, one should not have difficulties.

If you are like me, and desire to have overkill rather than underkill, then the added subframe potentially would be the way to go. if using the Woods unit. I fab'd out a couple of plates to bolt onto my B7500 undercarriage exactly for this reason...my older unit, I have no worries about, and , I keep both set up for 3point connection.

The majority of the damages occur with the "herky-jerkies". Having excessive hydraulic power,(engine revs too high), will cause jerky action of the hoe. When this occurs, one will see an undesirable stress take place on the 3pt anchoring. Otherwise, it will work very well with or without the full subframe.

Common sense dictates alot.

- Willie H ....

View my Photos
jobewan

2006-06-07          130576

Thanks to all for the responses - However, since I'm only a free member, I couldn't read all of them.

At this point I've picked up the KB60 and brought it home. Tomorrow, I'll begin assembling and installing it. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

My use is going to be light duty digging - mostly shallow footings and trench lines. I've got access to a big hoe for bustin' out the septic tanks when that comes up. ....

View my Photos
jobewan

2006-06-07          130577

Thanks for the time and the info. Sounds like a good review of the Koyker to me so long as I don't pretend its something its not. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login