Go Bottom

Backhoe For JD 4310

View my Photos
headhog
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-01-15          138830

I'm in the market for a Backhoe for my John Deere 4310,my question is has anyone here tried any of the new models that Deere has (447/448). I talked to the dealer and he recommends the 447 for a 4310. I won't be using it for commercial work just maybe to remove stumps or dig holes to bury stuff. He quoted me a price of 6900.00 for the 447 with power beyond. I hope to hear from someone that has one. Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Backhoe For JD 4310

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-01-15          138835

I can't answer specifically on the 447/448, but wanted to raise a potential issue. When I was shopping for a backhoe for my 4310 the dealer said they had had some problems with the 48 hoe on that size frame. When installing a 48 on that tractor they weld some additional support on the bolt circle on the rims to strengthen them. Apparently they had several customers whose wheels fatigued around the mounting plate because the 48 hoe is stronger than the 47 and could add additional stress on the wheels. Others here have used a 48 without trouble. So, I guess I'm just passing on a data point for you to ask your dealer about. I went with the 47 and am quite happy. ....

Backhoe For JD 4310

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-01-15          138836

I have a 48 hoe on my 4310 and haven't had any wheel problems so far. My thought is that the only real difference in the strain on the wheels would be when driving the tractor/hoe to and from the worksite, that perhaps the 447 is somewhat lighter to carry than the 448. While using the hoe no real weight is on the rear wheels as you are sitting on the outriggers and the FEL bucket. I would suggest asking the dealer if that is the issue he is concerned with. I had read on TP in the past about the wheel problem so I just take it kinda slow and easy to the job and back. Enjoy what you buy. Frank. ....

Backhoe For JD 4310

View my Photos
headhog

2007-01-16          138877

Thanks for the info. I was also thinking about the digging power between the two if it mattered very much.Also I wouldn't be leaving on the 4310 all the time just whenever I needed to use it. ....

Backhoe For JD 4310

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-01-16          138879

I don't think digging power will be an issue. The 47 can toss a 4310 around pretty good. A bigger issue may be how far it will reach. The 48 has slightly longer reach but it's probably one of those things where no matter how long the reach you'll always want a little more. ....

Backhoe For JD 4310

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-01-16          138880

I'm working strictly from memory on this but as remember when I bought the 48 the 47 dug about a foot shallower than the 48 and I think the forces generated by the hydraulic system are somewhat less too by the use of smaller cylinders in the hoe. If you are only doing occasional hoe work and the extra foot of depth isn't an issue the 447 will do you just fine, and keep the dealer happier. Best of luck. Frank. ....

Backhoe For JD 4310

View my Photos
MacDaddy

2007-01-17          138886

I remember reading a thread about the wheel problem a while ago, but so far have not had ant problems with the 48 on my 4310. Like Frank mentioned, the weight is on the outriggers, not the wheels. I have found however, that the digging power or leverage diminishes the deeper you go. I have not had any need to dig much deeper than 5 ft., but at that depth, I wouldn't want the boom any shorter. The manual shows a funny demonstration of the hoe digging at its claimed depth with the arm fully extended. Unless digging in loose sand, I cant imagine it being too effective at that depth. Andy ....

Backhoe For JD 4310

View my Photos
harvey

2007-01-19          138902

I'm gonna smoke the memory here. The wheel issue was waaaay back when the first of the 4XXX series hit the street.

2 things seemed to be the main theme. The holes were tapped too large, the lugs were too small or prep at set up may not have had correct torques. It seemed to be a very small number of complaints.

My 4400 is 5yrs this year over 1200 hours and I have never had a wheel problem. I reversed the wheels when brand new. The 48 hoe was bought 4 yrs ago, It has a 18" heavy duty bucket from the hoes that fit the 5XXX series. I use the little tractor hard, I move it with the hoe when digging.

You will not be unhappy with the 48 series hoe. Nor will you be unhappy with the 47 series. My only complaint is ?? guess I don't have one.

I did swap the valve blocks around to match a excavator operation. It just seems more normal. But with just the one source of hyd oil I have to do more feathering of the boom vs stick and bucket curl.

Harvey ....

Backhoe For JD 4310

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-01-19          138904

Harvey; Thanks for jarring my memory a bit. Yes, now I do remember when my hoe was first on the 4300 Deere replaced the lug bolts on the rear wheels. Thanks for waking me up. Frank. ....

Backhoe For JD 4310

View my Photos
tetloader

2007-01-20          138950

This is timely discussion, since I am also looking into a backhoe for my 4310. I heard that some JD's were failing at welds on the backhoe (boom, I think). True?? What about a WOODS ? Will the 4310 handle a 9000X? I like the thumb feature, and would like to really be able to dig to 7' (when I need to, which isn't often). My use is not daily so the Woods might be over the top, but I have learned to buy stronger/better tools rather than cheaper/weaker. Any help? ....

Backhoe For JD 4310

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-01-20          138951

Tet; The 48's that I'm famillar with locally I haven't heard of any weld failures. I don't know anyone locally who has a 47, so I can't help there. Woods has always had a reputation for good equipment, so I would'nt be afraid of that, but I just don't like puting a different brand impliment on a tractor unless it is 3 pt. mounted. I'm sure that Deere, Kubota, CNH, and all other spend some time matching the abilitys of a backhoe to the abilitys of the rractor. No mattere who builds something, it can be broken, mostly depends on the man working the levers. Best of luck. Frank. ....

Backhoe For JD 4310

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-01-20          138952

If the welds are failing it sure doesn't seem to be common. I've never heard of it happening (but there are lots of things I haven't heard of). Like Frank says, any brand can be broken if the operator abuses the equipment. Once I saw a backhoe (I won't mention the brand but it wasn't green) that was twisted up like a pretzel - that doesn't mean that it was bad, just that it was pushed beyond it's design limits. ....

Backhoe For JD 4310

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2007-01-20          138970

My 47 hasn't failed. Seems to be very well built. ....

Backhoe For JD 4310

View my Photos
harvey

2007-01-20          138972

I'll add to the I've neverheard of a broken weld. The welds on my 48 are some of the cleanest I've seen.

Yup I know most are done in a jig by machine.

QC could have had a bad day.

I also prefer the way Green mounts on Green. 3PH backhoes are not the way to go if you need to do serious digging. But that is my opinon based on using both types. ....

Backhoe For JD 4310

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2007-01-20          138973

Harvey, you are right about the way green mounts on green. When I put the 47 on it's like one continuous part of the tractor. It is perfectly tight, no looseness anywhere. ....

Backhoe For JD 4310

View my Photos
DK35vince

2007-01-20          138975

I don't recall ever reading about welds failing on JD backhoes on any of the tractor sites I visit regularly..

Go Top

Share This

Member Login