Go Bottom

Kubota L2800 Backhoe Buy or Rent

View my Photos
roadmaster98
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-03-07          140270

I was wondering if a Kubota L 2800 hst would have any problems handleing a backhoe.I have a 250 ac tree farm in So Ind.It has cabin,out buldings,2ac pond,bridge over creek,and 1/2 mi driveway to maintain.Due to hilly land I have some washout problems.Would I find a back hoe as useful as I have found the FEL to be?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-03-08          140287

Roadmaser98; I'd rather let the folks more fimmilar with Kubotas of that size do the recommendation on how well your tractor will handle a hoe, but I guess it really boils down to how much work, how big of jobs, value of your time, etc. I have a # 48 John Deere hoe for my Deere 4310, I do like the part of not having to call someone to come do a 15 minute job that I can do myself. Most people in the excavating business simply cannot afford to bring a machine to your site for a 15 minute job, so that is an issue to consider too. I'm mildly familliar with the system kubota uses to mount their hoes, it is quite similar to the Deere system, they both have a pretty slick system for simple 10 minute mounting and dismounting their hoes, it's neat. I'm also a real big proponet of using nothing but a Kubota hoe on a Kubota tractor, Deere hoe on a Deere, etc. Your dealer will fill you in on the whys of all this. I love mine and am sure you would enjoy one too. have a great day. Frank. ....

View my Photos
roadmaster98

2007-03-08          140292

Hardwood.Thanks for the reply.I guess a guy could resale it if he found he wasnt useing it enough.From what Ive seen finding a used hoe in good cond is about as rare as hens teeth.Also thanks 4 your input on the rake. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-03-08          140293

The other point to bear in mind is physical size.

An L2800 doesn't have a whole lot of physical size to start with, so any work you do with, mowing, FEL work, or B/H work will be done at a speed that sort of falls in line with it's size. So, if your tree farm is a weeknd thing, some jobs are going to take most of the weekend to do them. On the other hand, if their not urgent jobs, you will probably find that if you wait till you have a few jobs lined up, and rent a full size TLB (like a Case 580 size) for a weekend, or a few weekdays during some vacation time, you will get all of them and likely a few other things done in the same amount of time.

Having your own stuff is however, much more convenient, but unless you need a B/H on a regular basis, and don't mind putting it on and taking it off when you want the 3pth for other things, it's nice to be able to do things when you want to.

The other option is, especially in areas like yours, you can often buy an older (but still very serviceable) 2WD TLB for about the same money as a new B/H for your 'Bota would cost you.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
roadmaster98

2007-03-09          140318

Thanks Murf.I guess the intrest on 7 grand would prob pay to rent once a year. ....

View my Photos
praha4752

2007-07-08          143512

is it possible , that 50 years from now, your backhoe is still functioning????? /used once in a while, in a great shape over the years/.

If yes, is renting an issue at all???

Maybe you will be happy to have it... after WW3...lol

Joe

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-07-08          143517

My #48 backhoe could very well be functioing in 50 years. I just hauled my 1948 Cub Farmall home today after a complete engine/transmission/brakes/steering, etc. overhaul, the paint shop is it's next stop. It's 49 years old now and should go another 49. Frank. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login