Go Bottom

Woods 9000 sub-frame backhoe

View my Photos
Mike Adams
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-03-25          14148

Looked at a Woods 9000 back hoe mounted on a New Holland 2120 tractor with a sub-frame kit. My question is how easy is it to remove and reinstall hoe with this mounting system. Looks like where you have to line up frame to hoe when mounting is under tractor, can't see from seat, two man job? Hoe has lots of power and is smooth operating but want the ability to remove and reinstall by myself. Also was quoted a price of $6,900 for hoe with sub-frame installed. Plan to have this hoe mounted on a JD 4500 anybody with this setup already? Have also looked at JD 48 backhoe and biggest plus is the ease of mounting and removing hoe, hoe mounts tight to back of tractor, less overhand. Drawbacks are not all wear points have replacable bushings, one foot less reach, and a little less power than the Woods hoe. Any input from JD 48 hoe owners would be appreciated

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Paul Hastings

2000-06-14          17182

Mike,

Be careful mounting a backhoe to the back of a tractor only. There is a reason that companies make subframes for backhoes. Backhoes put a lot of stress on a tractor and a subframe helps distribute that stress over a larger section of the frame. This can be critical if you have a large backhoe on a small tractor.

Paul Hastings ....

View my Photos
Jim Hardwick

2000-06-14          17194

2000-06-14

You might enjoy a couple of tidbits:

The JD 47/48 is a modified version of the Bush Hog 862h. There have been some problems with it falling off due to loose bolts & nuts, or something like that.

The Woods 9000 is rumored not to be built quite as well as its Bradco & Bush Hog competition, but I cannot say from experience. Supposedly Woods does not use the same valves, etc, as the others. But in non-daily use, would it matter?

My local JD dealer had a brand new Woods 9000 with 12 and 24 inch buckets and a subframe for the 4500-4700 series. Write me directly if you want to get in touch him. He would be competitive on it, I am sure, if he still has it.

Woods dealer costs are lower % of list than Bush Hog and some others. I am buying Bradco most likely, will report on it.

Jim

View my Photos
Paul Hastings

2000-06-15          17214

Jim,

I work for Woods and I can tell you the 9000 is a solid unit. If you are not using the unit on a daily basis you might have a hard time telling who's backhoe has better valves or higher digging forces. My best advice to you is to sit on each backhoe you are considering and do some digging. It's like buying a car. Buy the one that fits your needs. I know I'm biased, but I think the Woods is more comfortable to operate for hours at a time. Good luck with your purchase whatever you buy. ....

View my Photos
Jim Hardwick

2000-07-29          18342

7/29

Paul, thanks and I did not mean to ignore your reply. I esp appreciate anyone from a dealership or manufacturer who participates in these boards, and I will say that Woods has been very responsive to direct questions I have posed during my latest tractor buying project. In the time since you wrote, I have briefly used a 1050 Woods mounted on a JD 5310. I haven't ruled it out, esp since it seems impossible to put a Bradco 611 on my new NH small ag TN90F using a subframe (at least without permanently removing my lower link arms!). It did seem to be a big load for that machine, though, esp when swinging the hoe from side to side--really shook the 5310 each time it stopped. Not a really good test though, since I do not believe the salesman knew how to set up the tractor for me, and I have 0 experience with hoes. My NH is a bit heavier (6200 # range with no ballast).

For me, it comes down to the Woods 1050 and the Bradco 3511 (3 ph mounted med duty version of the 611). Comparisons are tough since no one dealer has both that I can find, and in fact the nearest 3511's are in NJ, a good ways from VA.

Are there any subframes for the 1050 (surely you don't make one for the TN90F, anyway :-()?

Jim ....

View my Photos
Paul Hastings

2000-07-31          18400

Jim,

If you are looking at a Woods 1050 Backhoe, then you would mount that using an ASAE catagory II or III, or 3-point hitch. If you read my earlier posts you will see that I recommend using a subframe when possible. The 1050 BH is a large backhoe and it only fits on large tractors. For this reason we don't have subframes for the 1050. Woods makes no warranty concerning the structual integrity of any tractor's 3-point hitch or tractor frame housing assembly. The thing to remember on 3 point hitch mounted backhoes is make sure you have the proper top link pin installed. Woods provides a high strength top link pin for 3-point applications. Substitutions are not recommended.

You have the right idea talking to your dealer(s). They should have all the information you need to make an informed choice. Thank you for your interest in Woods Equipment.

Paul Hastings
Project Engineer
Woods Equipment Company ....

View my Photos
Jim Hardwick

2000-07-31          18404

7/31

Let me again thank you for being willing to write in this forum. I hope everyone will respect that and understand that responses from folks like you are general and cannot be specific to anyone's precise/personal situation (how's that for a disclaimer). That's what dealers are for, but the breadth of knowledge that only engrs like you can bring to this group is a treasure, Paul.

BTW, my TN90F (NH) has a Cat II hitch and weighs over 6000# but is barely larger than a Boomer.

Could I get you to talk about the 2 numbers most often discussed when it comes to tractor mounted backhoes (after digging depth!)...Bucket force and dipperstick digging force? Which one is most important to the forces exerted back to the tractor? For example the 1050 has a relatively high dipperstick force, but somewhat lower bucket force. A competitor's unit has similar DS force to the 1050, but relatively higher bucket force, and they will not sell it without a subframe for the specific tractor, warning that the oomph of the high forces could result in ruptured bell housings, etc.

Also, which is the most stressful aspect of a tractor-mounted backhoe--transporting it or using it? Experts differ on this as you might know.

Jim ....

View my Photos
Paul Hastings

2000-08-04          18518

Jim,

I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you, but I do have some answers for you.

Between bucket force and dipperstick forces, the bucket forces will have more impact on the tractor. This is assuming that you have the stabilizers down and are on level ground.

As for mounting a 1050 on a TN90F, I would urge you to consider a Woods BH9000 instead. The BH9000 has a subframe available. The TN90F is heavy enough to handle a 1050, however the 3-point hitch arms are offset quite a bit. As you pointed out the tractor is barely larger than a Boomer. Unless you absolutely must have the extra 1.5 feet I think that the BH9000 would make a much better fit for the TN90F and you would then be able to use a subframe which is in my opinion a much better method of attaching a backhoe to a tractor. A subframe will better spread the forces out over the tractor frame. People don't realize how much stress and strain a backhoe can produce on the prime mover.

You also asked what was the most stressful aspect of a tractor mounted backhoe, transporting it, or using it. As you pointed out the experts differ on their opinions. In my experience (as well as that of my colleagues) it is very case dependant. Sometimes transporting it will create more stress, sometimes the application will create more stress. I'm sorry that I can't give you a more definite answer, but again there are just so many factors that affect stress on the tractor.

If you have any more questions please feel free to email me.

Paul ....

View my Photos
huntclan

2010-06-24          171802

My message is about the 1050bh made by Woods. I own one, made my own subframe out of 3x3" 3/8 wall square tubing, it bolts to the cross member for the 838 loader on my 383 4wd massey tractor (75 to 80 hp. I made it so that the only strain is up under the rear axles and all that happens is the outriggers pickup the rear of the tractor and the weight is carried by the tubing, and distrbuted to the loader frame, none of the joints in the tractor ie. the 4 wd bolted splice, the clutch splice, carry the weight of the backhoe without the assistance of the tubing frame.
The backhoe itself is a peach, I love it. After using it for awhile one starts to see the engineering that went into it, and the care that was taken to fabricate it. I ordered it with the thumb, what a great help this is, I am cleaning up hayfields-- buckthorn shrubs, Sumach,etc. I loosen up the roots, bend the tree over, grab it with the thumb, and rip it out, pile them up to scoop later with front end loader forks.
Well done Woods for this piece of equipment, my dealer in Lindsay, Bob Mark New Holland, suggested it, he said "compare the weight of this unit to others--- the meat is there."

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-06-24          171803

Welcome to the forum neighbour!!!

I'm somewhere about an hour west of you over towards Lake Simcoe, small world huh?

The post may be helpful to some folks, you've got some good info there, but the post you replied to is now nearly 10 years old.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-06-25          171821

Mike, a major variable is the tractor design. If it has a frame, the vulnerability would be at the attachment point, usually the rear hitch. But if it's a more modern smaller unit, it may rely on its main central assemblies (engine and transmission housing) as its "frame." In that case, a hoe (even an FEL) could split the tractor. To prevent that, you could buy or custom-make a subframe. ....

View my Photos
huntclan

2010-06-25          171823

I, realized the date issue after I posted my info, first time user and all. Would forward pictures about my subframe if anyone needed. I got the standard 3 point hitch hookup pieces from Woods but didn't like the pressure these pieces would place on the top link connection point. What I made is not a five minute hookup however its time well spent if it prevents costly repairs to rear of tractor. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-06-25          171832

I've had a Deere 48 hoe for my 4310 tractor for several years. It does have a subframe as part of the hoe that says on the tractor. It has been a good little hoe so far, easy to mount, nothing broken or bent so far. The little hoes will do an amazing amount of work but they aren't meant for the really big stuff, you need to hire the guy with the big hoe for that. Deere offers an additional optional subframe to help the engine/flywheel housing and the front half of the transmission to better stand the stresses they get from a hoe or any other attachment including a front loader. I put one on the 4310 just as a added support member for the tractor. It was rather inexpensive and easy to install. I haven't personally heard of a Deere being broken in half with a properly mounted subframe hoe, but anything can be and probably has been broken. I think the optional subframe would be in the way for a mid mount mower, I'm not sure tho. ....

View my Photos
davesml

2012-01-19          182123

I have a Kubota 4610 with a 9000 woods backhoe. Not to difficult to put on ( one man job ) My backhoe has it's oun hydralic pump. Back over the backhoe and install the front pin. Then connect the pump to PTO, then position the backhoe so you can lift the rear bracket to rest on the bar ( 2" X 16" X 1/4" thick ) that you have inserted into the tractor drawbar space. Now you can lift the backhoe up with the hydraulics and insert the 3 point hitch pins. I use a mirrior when lineing up pins. Takes some patience but do-able ....

View my Photos
freeman77

2023-03-17          201530

Where can you get the mounting kit to a ford 5000 ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login