Go Bottom

Backhoe storage

View my Photos
in2ba8b4
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-09-24          146026

Hi to everyone,
This is my first post although I feed on all the good information this site contains.
Anyhow, my question is about storing my NH 757C backhoe. I has told by someone that if it is going to be stored over the winter for example, the boom must be kept in the extended position.

Given the limited space in my pole barn, having it extended makes for a big obstacle.
Anyone have any ideas bout position when setting for a period of time?. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Backhoe storage

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-09-24          146027

I think many people try and keep the cylinders closed.

I store mine upright, spray some oil on the cylinders, tie all the hydraulics up with rope and throw a bikini tarp over the top to keep the bird poo off. ....

Backhoe storage

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-09-24          146030

Harvey has it right. Long as you are inside out of the sun and rain a bit of oil on the cylinder rods is fine. A bigger issue over time is the sun destroying the hydraulic hoses. It happens slowly so you really never notice it till all of a sudden they go bad. Frank. ....

Backhoe storage

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-09-24          146031

First I would give the entire thing a good bath and let it dry well for a few days out in the sun. I would then slather marine-grade waterproof grease over everything. This will soak unto the lines and keep them supple. Come spring give it agood washing with warm/hot dish detergent or concentrated hair shampoo. The paint will soak up some of the oils too and keep it from breaking down or drying out. Do not use diesel or kerosene. They actually attract moisture and accelerate rusting. And diesel supports bacterial life too, which depending on the byproducts like acids will hurt too. ....

Backhoe storage

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-09-27          146147

As was said, clean it up and retract all cylinders as far as possible. Any shafts exposed get sprayed with a Rust Inhibitor fortified with Lanolin. I use Crown products. That absorbs moisture and neutralizes acids. Keeping it undercover protecting against rain, snow and sun is important. Also try not to park it on dirt or where moisture can come up out of the ground. If so, put a couple sheets of plywood underneath to block it. I try not to get much stuff on the hoses. Some rust preventives breakdown the rubber. ....

Backhoe storage

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-09-27          146183

Yooper my boy, don't be foolin' this fellow Michigander... which oils break down hose rubber? Solvents maybe, but oils? 'member they have OIL running through them and hoses of today are made for petroleum-based products. If you want to destroy a hose, just paint it.

Good point about lanolin which is made from sheeps wool. There's much on the web to be said about it. ....

Backhoe storage

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-09-28          146193

In2ba8b4,

The most important thing is to relieve any pressure that you might have remaining on the hydraulic cylinders.

The best way to do this is to shut the tractor off and then move all of the valves back and forth, before disconnecting the lines from the tractor.

You'll also want to block, or chain up anything that may drift down over time, to prevent any pressure from building up later (or to prevent your tarp from being ripped to pieces) -- though this isn't absolutely necessary, as the pressure on the cylinders will be very low.

The other important issue is to hang your hoses in such a way as to keep any moisture from getting into the hydraulic connections. Tie your hoses high, and let the ends hang down, but make sure they're not touching the ground.

Do not place any bags or tape over the end of your hoses, as these things collect and hold water.

A bit of grease on any exposed cylinder rods will serve to keep them from rusting and pitting. Before using the machine next time, make sure to wipe off the cylinder rods, as the grease will collect lots of dirt and sand.

A tarp isn't a bad idea, but be sure to leave an air gap at the bottom. Any moisture that collects under the machine will soon turn into a steam bath under that tarp. Leave a good foot of air gap at the bottom, and use bungee cords to hold the tarp in place, rather than blocks, tires, etc. A tarp that is too small is better than a larger one. Nothing causes rust to occur faster than when placing a piece of metal in a plastic bag. Leave it open to the air as much as possible.

Paint will fade over time when left in the sun. It might be better to place the backhoe on the north side of a building, where it will be out of the direct sun, especially if you plan on storing it outdoors for an extended period of time. Leave it far enough away from the building to prevent any run-off from the roof from pouring directly onto your backhoe.

Parking any implement outdoors will require a good bit of grease on the pins, holes, pivot points, etc. Make sure you grease up all of these things before parking it.

If you plan on leaving it outdoors for an exceptionally long period of time, I recommend removing the seat (if it has one) and placing it inside your house, or in a dry shed.

Joel ....

Backhoe storage

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-09-28          146194

Earthworks:
Thankyou, I edited my message and removed oils and inserted "some rust preventatives". Some of them have have ingredients that can turn rubber into mush over an extended period of time. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login