Go Bottom

808 CadDigger

View my Photos
Terry Henderson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-02-10          49011

I am thinking of purchasing the 808 Caddigger plan. Can someone who has let me know if it was a good choice. Does the 808 perform well? Also what size of a welder is needed. 225 amp stick welder?

Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

808 CadDigger

View my Photos
TomG

2003-02-11          49035

Bill is the resident expert here. I think he built the same model. I think there is a running account of the project and pictures in the archives that would be good to read. Bill probably will comment as well. ....

808 CadDigger

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-02-11          49038

Terry,
I'm far from an expert, but I did build a model 708. I documented the project at the link below.
I bought a Lincoln 225 AC just for this project, and it was well worth it. Cadplans recommends a stick welder and 7018 rods.
The 708 performs well, but I would welcome the increased reach and strength of the 808; the bigger one would just be too big for my TC29. I don't have a front end loader (yet) and the hoe makes the front end very light, even with 350 pounds of front ballast.
And, I guess that this topic will never come up without the dangers of 3-point hitch backhoes being mentioned. The CadPlans hoes don't have a hold-down as part of the plans. In other words, since the 3ph has no down pressure, the only downward force you have is the weight of the backhoe with you on it. More than that, and it just lifts you and the hoe up. This is potentially dangerous. Also, 3ph hoes are controversial regarding damage they may inflict on compact tractors. This is a good forum to learn more.
Hope it helps,
Bill ....

Link:   Caddigger 708 construction

808 CadDigger

View my Photos
Terry Henderson

2003-02-11          49092

Tom and Bill

Thank You for giving me your input. I will be ordering the 808 plans next week from Cadplans Inc. Do either of you recommend going through MetKit or can the materials be easy found with steel fabricators and Hydraulic service centers.

Thanks

Terry ....

808 CadDigger

View my Photos
Terry Henderson

2003-02-11          49094

Bill

The tractor that I have is a 2000 4110 Mahindra. It's 41 HP and has a Front Loader. It's tractor weight minus the loader is 3,960 Lbs. Do you think this can adequately support the 808?

Thanks

Terry ....

808 CadDigger

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-02-11          49095

Terry,
When I built my caddigger hoe,I had a lot of the steel so I did not use Metkit for that (trying to save money).
But I do recommend Metkit for the hydraulic kit.
They have a hydraulic kit set up for that digger,making it much easier and all the fittings and hoses needed are there.
They were also very friendly and helpful. ....

808 CadDigger

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-02-12          49114

Terry,

I used the Metkit metal and hydraulic kit. I didn't have any luck with the local steel wholesalers on buying metal - it just wasn't a big enough project to interest them. Both of the ones I talked to said they'd quote it for me, and I never heard back from either. Plus, I don't have any good way to precisely cut some of the holes required. I'm sure it would save some money to buy the steel locally, but factoring in the cut and grind time, the kit was the best for me. I spent about $2000 on the whole project.
When you order the plans, the Cadplans engineer will advise you about the correct size hoe for your tractor. From everything I've seen, the 808 should work fine on it.
Good luck,
Bill ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login