Go Bottom

small backhoe bucket

View my Photos
buster
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-03-15          51193

I have a Kubota B2150 with a Kubota B/L 4520B backhoe. I bought it used and it came with a 12" bucket. I do a lot of trenching for water and electrical line, and I want to have a smaller bucket for these jobs. The smallest bucket Kubota offers is a 10". Eyeballing the existing 12" bucket, and how it attachs to the dipperstick, I see no reason why I could not mount a 6 " bucket, if one was available. Anyone know of any of the after market hoes that offer that small of a bucket? If so, would it mount up to my Kubota hoe?
I am strongly leanings towards building my own, but I thought I'd check around for a ready made one first. If I build one I will model it exactly off of the factory built 12" bucket, all parts will be water jet cut, I have a buddy who has one, what a great tool. The same buddy is a qualified welder, if anything he is over qualified for this job, as he welds pipelines, hydroturbine blades and at nuke plants, the real technical stuff. If I go this route it occurred to me to possibly see if anyone else out there may want a small bucket like this. Once the water jet cutter is programed its a simple matter to make numerous parts, all within a few thousands of an inch. Let me know if a market may exist for a few 6" buckets. I'd use mine for beta testing of course, and my rocky property will pretty much be a worst case scenario and would be a good test site.

Tom

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

small backhoe bucket

View my Photos
jeff r
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-03-15          51204

I too have a B-2150 with 12 and 18 inch buckets for my backhoe and an 8 inch bucket is available. On thing about digging water or drain tile lines with a smaller than 12 inch bucket. If you need to get in the trench for some reason, you can get into a 12 inch trench but you can't get into a smaller trench. Stay with your 12 inch bucket and you won't be sorry. I believe the 8 inch trench bucket is good for digging footings intended to be fill with concrete only. If you need a smaller trench for eletrical lines rent a trencher. ....

small backhoe bucket

View my Photos
TomG

2003-03-16          51244

What Jeff said is also my experience. Here are some reasons why I like my 12" bucket. The first is that the sandy soil here tends to come off trench walls and fall on the floor. An electrical inspector may say the trenches aren't deep enough and then you get to dig them some more--and probably mostly by hand. It's a little tricky to get a tractor back over a trench that runs between two buildings.

Underground service lines have to use DB conduit here and I use conduit for underground branch circuits as well because I don't want to have to dig up an entire line if it ever needed replacing.

I know some people assemble conduit above ground, snake line through it and dump the whole thing into the trench. Around here conduit joints are not glued and I never had any confidence that the joints would remain secure if I just pushed long runs of conduit into a trench. In addition, if you can work in a trench, you can bend several lengths of conduit maybe four or five inches to get around things like trees rather than using sweeps.

In trenching between two buildings, it's sometimes easier to dig work pits at both ends and then trench back toward the middle. If you complete the trench then the tractor has the trench running underneath it and getting it off is a little tricky. I tend to leave enough of a bridge in the middle so I can drive the tractor off and then tunnel underneath by hand. It's a lot less hand digging then digging one work pit by hand. I suppose there are other ways and maybe better ways of doing things, but I usually end up in the trench a lot and I need a 12" bucket minimum.

small backhoe bucket

View my Photos
buster

2003-03-18          51401

Jeff, is the 8" bucket you mentioned for the Prairie Dog hoe? If so, would it fit the Kubota factory hoe/dipperstick linkage? Any idea as to cost?
I see the point about the skinny buckets, 18" deep by 6" wide would be a pain to work in, but a trencher leaves a similar sized trench and depending on the soil type (not sandy ever around here, usually rocky sometimes good black dirt depending if you're in the mountains or in the valley). Renting is a real pain due to the distance to the rental yards/town. 2 days from now I have 140' of conduit trench to dig, next week 250'. The B2150 makes it fun and easy no matter the bucket size.
Tom ....

small backhoe bucket

View my Photos
jeff r
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-03-18          51403

I don't know about the Kubota hoe, but i'm guessing there is a 95% chance since my buckets fits the Wood's 7500 hoe and a Wood's bucket is made by the Gannon Bucket Company. As far as price goes, an 8 inch bucket for my hoe is 225.00. A Gannon or a Kubota bucket will be more money. ....

small backhoe bucket

View my Photos
moeh14612

2003-03-25          51831

Sorry to drop in on this conversation. Can either of the 2150 owners here feed back some advice? I have a '92 2150DT that I want to add rear hydraulics to for backhoe, etc. I already have FEL on it which is using the hydraulic outlet. How is your BH plumbed in? I am looking for the best way to go and there doesn't seem to be a kit available like the newer machines offer. Thanks. Also I could be interested in just a couple of side plates, I'd add my own steel in the middle for the width bucket that I'd want to end up with, what do you figure the cost might end up being?
This would be a lot easily on the UPS guy as well, you might get some takers for this option. ....

small backhoe bucket

View my Photos
jeff r

2003-03-25          51853

MOEH.

I have a PTO pump driving my BH hydraulics, I haven't I got around to plumbing in wet lines to the rear yet. When I do I will go through the FEL controls and mount a single lever control valve on my rear right fender. Get yourself a pattern for the bucket side plates and go to a local welding shop equipped with a plasma cutter. He can do the job very easily. ....

small backhoe bucket

View my Photos
rye*guy

2003-05-16          54992

I've been searching for the exact same thing, Mazzotti is the only one I've found that make a 6", I haven't been able to locate a dealer in the states so I have no idea if it would fit a Kubota. If the bucket you are building will also fit a BT 600 backhoe (that's the small one for the BX22) then I'd be very interested in a bucket if the cost isn't too out there. If you haven't already finished the project, send me an email, thanks. ....

small backhoe bucket

View my Photos
TomG

2003-05-17          55011

I believe that Mazzotti hoes are discussed several times archive discussions. I seem to recall that some of the posts were made by a dealer who carries Mazzotti.

It can be tricky finding things in the archives though. Subject titles aren't always what the discussions are about and full text searches take awhile.

small backhoe bucket

View my Photos
craig56

2003-06-17          57856

I have an 8 in bucket for my 7500 woods and if the dirt is at all damp the bucket will plug up and not come out without a pick. ....

small backhoe bucket

View my Photos
jeff r

2003-06-19          57999

Craig,
That is a interesting observation on small 8 inch buckets clogging up with wet soil. I had the thought in the back of my mind that it might happen but since nobody said anything about it and with me only having a 12 bucket that has never clogged, I didnt say anything about the possiblity about it. Good solid advice to anyone considering a small 8 inch bucket nontheless.

Jeff ....

small backhoe bucket

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2003-06-19          58031

my 7 series hoe has two 1/2 inch holes drilled in the bottom, I thought it would let water out but after reading these posts maybe it breaks the vacume created between the soil and the bucket,I have red clay and when this stuff is damp its like concrete however it leaves the bucket with no residue. ....

small backhoe bucket

View my Photos
Treb55

2004-03-01          78438

I have a BX23 that came with a 10" bucket as well. I to could make good use of a 6" bucket. I live in the San Joaquin Valley in Central Ca. Soil conditions are ideal for the 6". Most of my trenching is for small pvc irrigation.

Please send me an email if anyone knows where a 6" or 8" is available that would fit my BX23

Thanks ....

small backhoe bucket

View my Photos
dmp-56

2004-04-25          84258

Hello All

I have a Ford 1520 w/Woods 7500 backhoe. Can anyone tell me where I can find an 8" bucket at a good price?

Thanks ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login