Go Bottom

cold welds on backhoe bucket teeth edge

View my Photos
jeff r
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-23          58192

Just finished replacing and re-welding the 1/2 4 x 11 plate edge that the 3 teeth of my 12 inch backhoe bucket were attached. The original plate pulled lose with welds that were "cold" and looked like loose caulking on a window pane with no penetration to side metal. Check it out guys cold welds are lurking to get you.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-06-24          58206

It's not a bad idea to occasionally raise the front of the tractor with the loader bucket and inspect the loader frame welds for cracks. Down-pressure on the bucket may spread a crack that otherwise may be missed. Of course it might close one that's going from the other direction so inspecting with both down-pressure and with a load might be best.

I have a bead around bushing on my backhoe that wasn't completed. There's a gap and grease comes out the gap rather than through the bushing. I crammed a stick in the gap and broke it off. Grease now goes through the bushing. Having to resort to sticks as maintenance tools doesn't make me very happy though.

I saw a truck end over end between switch-backs on a mountain pass that resulted in fatalities. I was with a family friend who was an A&E mechanic. On the way back we saw the wreck in a junkyard and stopped. He spotted a broken tie-rod that had been welded and pointed out that the bead had no penetration. Even it had been a good weld, welding a tie-rod sounds like a really bad idea. A person has to know what they're doing for anything structural. ....

View my Photos
marklugo
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-24          58230

I've heard from reps that sold Prarie Dog BH's and said that they have their qc problems. One reason 3 of them switched to Mazzotti. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-24          58231

Good idea with the stick, Tom.

Ah..... bush living, gotta love it.

I'm betting you have a roll of duct tape, a coil of malleable wire and a small stock of visqueen too. ....

View my Photos
jeff r

2003-06-24          58240

Mark,

The only thing I heard about PD backhoes before I bought one was leaking hydraulic fittings of which I have replaced 2. As far as cold welds it happens all the time. My brother just replaced a 1.5 yard bucket on a Cat excavator with cold bucket welds so it can happen anytime to any brand of equipment. I don't think anybody X-rays their bucket welds. Mazzotti might be a good product as far as I know but since they don't make subframes for popular tractors such as my Kubota B-2150 the choice was quickly discarded since I don't run 3-point backhoes without subframes. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-06-25          58252

MarkH: Yep bush living. Ironic thing is that yesterday I took my rolls of safety wire and duct tape over to install outside speakers for a friend's stereo. Used both of them too. They're less bushy over there. No stereos or TV here. Maybe I'm not bushy enough but I haven't heard of visqueen. What ever it is I have no doubt that I'd find a use for it. ....

View my Photos
marklugo

2003-06-25          58260

Visqueen aka roll of plastic sheeting ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-25          58262

Sorry Tom, It is vapour barrier up there. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-06-26          58342

Oh yeah, that stuff. There's always a roll around. A whole technology could be based on it--especially when combined with duct tape. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-06-26          58343

Yes, Tom watches the New Red Green show for tips.

On the Coast were you were always dealing with granite. A new bucket or blade was not used until you added pounds of welds to strengthen the welds and add wear patches. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login