Go Bottom

Backhoe THUMBS

View my Photos
jeff r
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-21          59876

Ever think you might like to have one of those handy "thumbs" on your backhoe's dipperstick to grapple and lift brush and logs but thought 150 bucks or more was too expensive???? ME TOO. I found a set of plans that you can weld up a set for your backhoe for about 20 bucks or Less. AND it folds under your dipper when your not using it!!!!!

I can't post a picture of the plans because the pix is a GIF format and the dimensions vary depending how wide your dipper channel is. Email me if your interested. Check my profile for the address. This is a "GOTTA HAVE" item that would be easy to make if you weld.

For those of you that wonder what is a backhoe "thumb", it is nothing more than a fancy curved toothed piece of steel that your bucket can curl against to pick up stuff that you don't feel like bending over and lifting....brush, cut logs stones, etc. Hence it is like your "thumb". It either pushes it into the bucket or if it is bigger than the bucket, wedges against the bucket so you can lift it and place it where you want it. The folding underdipperstick storage make it real handy.
Somebody converted it to JPG for me.
the picture of this thumb is #11 in my album. The dimensions vary. But for my backhoe where the dipperstick is 3 1/2 inches wide the deminsion are as as follows Pin Diameter= 3/4 inch
A= 10 3/8ths inches
X= 14 3/8ths inches
B= 3 1/8th
Jaws thickness 1/4 to 3/8ths
Mounting PLate Width 2 1/2 inches
Approx weigth dependimg on thickeness is 14 pounds.

Jeff

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Backhoe THUMBS

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-21          59884

Jeff, those are one of the handiest things to use when working with awkward objects with a hoe. I was working this spring with a tree stump that was to big for the bucket and won't even try and guess how long it took me before I got it rolled around before I could get a hold of it, only to find I didn't have enough on that end to put it where I wanted to! ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top

Share This

Member Login