Go Bottom

Fitting JD 8A BH onto a NH TC40D tractor

View my Photos
tiggerpoz
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-08-17          62029

I've got a John Deere 950 tractor with a Deere 8A backhoe. I'm wanting to buy a New Holland TC40D tractor & want to transfer the backhoe to the new tractor. The new tractor is plenty big enough to handle the 8A, but I'm wondering if adapting the 8A subframe & the tractor to each other might have unforseen difficulties.
---Is this a reasonable thing to do or more trouble than it's worth?

thanks!
Tig

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-17          62032

Are you buying a new TC40? If so, one problem will be that you will probably void the warranty if you try to do so. I'm not an expert but it seems to me it would be far more trouble than it's worth, because if you don't get the subframe right and distribute the stresses properly you could damage the new tractor.

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-18          62078

Tig, I can understand from many sides why to do it. I also know better from another side why not to! ....

View my Photos
tiggerpoz

2003-08-19          62172

I hadn't considered the possible warranty problem. I wonder if tractor manufacturers void warranties if an aftermarket 3ph backhoe is used? They're much harder on a tractor than a subframe type. How about aftermarket FELs? If you buy a new NH tractor from a dealer & also buy a bushhog FEL from the dealer who installs it on your tractor, have you voided your warranty? Doesn't seem like they'd be selling aftermarket FELs & BHs at dealerships if these voided warranties.
--- But perhaps there's a difference between an aftermarket FEL or BH & some old geezer like me using duct tape & baleing wire to hook up another manufacturer's BH, eh?
--- I asked the NH dealer about the JD BH --Would it fit on the TC40D easily?-- & he said he didn't know but he didn't say anything about a warranty problem. (Which doesn't mean there wouldn't be one, of course.)

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-08-19          62176

There was a story on the Kubota board where a dealer welded a thumb on a guys new backhoe before delivery, the backhoe bent, and they wouldn't warranty it. In that case the dealer didn't warn him of potential warranty problems but it cost him a bundle anyway.

Another guy reported his dealer advised against welding bucket hooks on his bucket because the manufacturer would void the warranty.

I don't know if NH is that aggressive in denying warranty claims, but you might read the NH warranty carefully for any language that allows them to deny a claim.

View my Photos
tiggerpoz

2003-08-19          62181

Art, I need you to work harder at talking me out of this! I love having a nice backhoe, but I don't use it enough to justify spending >$5k on a new one. The 8A I have is in great shape. I just lucked into it & got it in like-brand-new condition 10 years ago. It was so cheap that I had to buy it. Now that I've gotten used to having one, I don't want to go back to not having one. My 8A is as good as new, but I can't possibly get even half what a new BH would cost selling the 8A with my old JD 950.

John Deere tells me that the 8A won't fit their current models (or any JD after the 870. 970, 1070 series) so going to JD for a new tractor rather than NH is not any more of an option than mounting the 8A on a NH.

The thing about this that frustrates me is that transfering a backhoe to a new tractor seems to me like it ought to be a relatively straightforward undertaking. After all, what are we trying to do? Just attach a subframe to the bottom of a tractor so as to distribute force. What's the big deal? I understand that 3ph BH makers are making add-on subframes for their BHs.
----Why not adapt an 8A to a new tractor?

So Art, talk me down! Why is this a bad idea? I see the attractions of it; What's the down side? What problems are involved that I'm not recognizing?

All ideas & opinions appreciated!
Has anyone had experience with this sort of thing?

Regards,
Tig ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-08-19          62189

You can always put it on a new John Deere 990. The 8B hoe fits this model. Good chance the 8A does as well. The 990 is not the bells and whistles model but it is still a REALLY nice tractor. Have you looked into this possibility? Plus, blue and green paint clash anyway. ;-) ....

View my Photos
bmocad

2003-08-19          62190

I have just purchased a new JD 4510.
I have a jd 8b Backhoe. I am in the process of mounting the hoe on the 4510.I am doing it by purchaing the mounting brackets and sub frame for the 48 backhoe. A couple of small changes and new holes. and it will fit.
The dealers and Deere said No it wont fit. My ruler and welder said it will! Remember they want to sell new ones!
Deere hydraulic oil are same. My 8B backhoe has only 30 hours use. I Like you don't want to spend 6k for that new one when I have this one paid for.
Caution
The only thing is mixing oils from Deere to New Holland .
could void warranty ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-08-19          62193

You may run into warranty issues mounting an 8B on a 4510 as well. As you have already said, John Deere specs. the 48 hoe for the 4510. I would be very careful about doing this as there may be other compatibility issues besides the frame, such as swing arc obstruction or other hyd. system issues. If it works right, great. I wouldn't want to pay for a new hoe when I have one already paid for either. :-) ....

View my Photos
harvey

2003-08-19          62197

Tig me thinks if you get REAL serious with NH about them putting a Blue hoe on with your trade. They should be able to get real close to even swaps of hoes. You might have to annty up some rembering you are getting a warranty, newer piece of equipment, plus a perfect hookup. I am guessing you would be much farther ahead down the road if you want to trade your NH with a blue hoe vs a green cob (word used loosely) mount hoe.

I am all for building stuff and making it work, you aughta see the junk(bad word) TREASURES (BETTER WORD :-)) I have acclumated around here. They all are different colors and fit on my JD. Just built another large shed to put it all under plus 50 face cord of wood.

Go Top

Share This

Member Login