Go Bottom

my very own bachhoe

View my Photos
kpk250
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-12-17          71495

I plan to build a backhoe for my New Holland TC25D and I am in the information gathering stage right now. I have checked the web for plans, but I am not very impressed with what I found; mostly tow behind models (or 3-pt hitch models) that don't look very rugged and dont' offer the capability of the factory models. Any thoughts or feedback here would be appreciated as well.

I don't know if I should run off of the tractor hydraulics or if I should buy a pump and attach it to the rear pto. Any thoughts? I guess there are pros and cons to each, right? Does anybody know how and where to hook up such an implement to the tractor hydraulics?

I actually planned on going to my local dealer one day after hours and measuring the factory hoes to make my own set of rough plans. That way, all of the angles, distances, and engineering have been done for me already.

Anybody know of a place where I can get cheap good quality hydraulic cylinders? Ones with available replacement parts would be great as well.

Has anyone taken on such a project? If figure I can save some money as a new BH is roughly $4500-$6000. I was toying around with buying a used one and reconditioning it, but they are still around $3500 and up.

Thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

my very own bachhoe

View my Photos
jkinney

2003-12-17          71499

I have a cadplan backhoe and for the amount of money I have in it, I feel it works great. Its small #608 (could be wrong with the number) but as a landscaper I can dig holes to plant trees. ....

my very own bachhoe

View my Photos
ScooterMagee
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-17          71503

Did you check out the one built by "psimonson" on the thread titled "2210 backhoe"? ....

my very own bachhoe

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-17          71509

I built a CadPlans 708 for my TC29. I got the metal kit from their affiliate MetKit since I don't have much in the way of a machine shop. I spent about $2000 everything, plus another $300 for the tractor remotes. The TC29 flows plenty for the CadPlans hoe. For about the same money, I could have gone with a PTO pump setup, sometimes I wish I had now. The reason is the 708 is a little big and heavy for my TC29. I could use it on my Dad's MF135, but it doesn't have remotes (and the MF guys tell me it wouldn't flow enough for a backhoe even if it did have remotes); if I'd used a pump, I could be using the bigger, heavier MF tractor. My plan was to use the backhoe for a few years and then sell it, but don't know if I ever will. It is capable of some amazing feats, but still not as good as a sub-frame unit.
Somewhere on the web I found a link to a fellow that fabricated (at home) a subframe mount for his 3-point hitch hoe. If I can find the link I'll post it. He had good pictures and descriptions. I don't think it would be too hard to build a sub-frame mount and hydraulic stabilizers for a CadPlans backhoe (the standard hoe uses the tractor 3ph - no hydraulic stabilizers) and in fact designed the whole setup, but never got around to building it. I use my hoe infrequently, and for short periods of time, so can't really justify it.
MetKit will sell you components even if you don't buy a whole kit; I believe their prices on hydraulic cylinders and control valves are reasonable. They have a website, as does CadPlans.
Hope it helps,
Bill ....

my very own bachhoe

View my Photos
loghouse95

2003-12-17          71525

I guess the first Question I would ask is what do you plan on using it for???? I built one from CadPlans, Model 821 and I use it mostly for digging stumps and putting in water lines.... It works great for this but I would not want to try and dig a basement with it,even thou it will dig 9 feet and has a reach of 11 feet, It would just take some time to do it.... Good luck ....

my very own bachhoe

View my Photos
dfkrug

2003-12-23          72022

I built the CADDigger 728 about 7 y ago, and I used it extensively. It works OK for what it was intended to do, but I have had to modify the design a bit to ruggedize it. I have the version that is towable and has its own engine and hyd pump. Now I am adapting a Woods 7500 clone to various compact tractors. I am buying several Prairie Dog
7.5s and plan to use tractor hydraulics. Costs have come way down in the past few years. My CADDigger cost me about
$2000, and I used my own engine and wheels and free labor. I can buy a better-engineered 3-pt hoe for a little over $4K now, without frame mount or separate hyd pump/res. ....

my very own bachhoe

View my Photos
jeff r

2004-03-05          78874

DFKRUG,

I see you have messed around with the Prairie Dog BAckhoe. How many leaky hydraulic lines have you replaced? Other than that I love mine. I have the separate PTO hydraulic pump on mine. ....

my very own bachhoe

View my Photos
dfkrug

2004-03-05          78892

I have 3 units on order, should ship any day now. I notice you painted yours orange. Very nice. Do your hoses leak at the fittings, or ? What frame mount?

I will let you know when the units arrive.

my very own bachhoe

View my Photos
beagle

2004-03-05          78938

I don't own a hoe yet, but have been around plenty. Use a PTO pump and a sub-frame mount. If you are going to do some digging for a couple hours or more, the PTO pump is the way to go. The sub-frame could save you some big $'s in the long run, protect the tractor bell housing from abuse. The stresses from the hoe hydraulics are more than the 3-point was probably designed to take, especially without hydraulic stabalizers. I plan to build one also, and intend to modify a CadPlan. ....

my very own bachhoe

View my Photos
jeff r

2004-03-06          78972

DFKRUG,

They probably got the leaky hydraulic hose fittings fixed by now so you won't have any problems. It was caused by the the people in Romania not getting a good crimp on the end fittings. I had to replace 4 fitting ends both at the hydraulic cylinders and the control tree. I live 7 miles from the guy in Grand Blanc Michigan that designed the Praire Dog and his foreman has been to my house to see the mount I fabricated for the seat since since his mount is totally worthless if the Praire dog is attached to the Tractor with a subframe. It was also the first time his foreman had a seen this hoe attached with a Wood's subframe. On my B-2150 Kubota the seat mount that comes with Praire Dog couldn't be used because it hit the tractor's gas tank because in put the seat and Hoe much closer to the tractor than if one mounted it using the 3 point mount. I also complained about the 12inch bucket teeth 1/2 mount plate that had cold welds that pulled apart from the bucket. I fixed that myself but I dropped the bent i/2 plate with the welds that looked like pealing caulking. They took care of that too but my welding labor wasn't covered but the bent 1/2 thick plate was only 7 bucks.

Overall I have been real pleased and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Working with an engine RPM of 1800, I have worked this hoe to the max and it passes all tests at 2/3s of the cost of comparable hoes. This hoe also has the nicest most comfortable of any I have sat on since you can adjust it for your individual weight. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login