Go Bottom

BX23 B21 Backhoe Capabilities

View my Photos
bx23kid
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-07          79144

I am in the business of installing flagpoles. We normally dig holes in sizes from 2'(wide)X 3-1/2'(deep) up to 4'(wide)X 8'(deep). We currently dig them by hand and we're looking for a faster and easier way. I am in new england and it seems too 'rocky' for an auger. We are looking at the BX23 and the B21 but really don't know if a backhoe would make digging easier for us or harder in the long run. The holes we dig need to be pretty plumb and we are concerned that the 'walls' might be too disturbed since the backhoe motions are in arcs. Can the backhoe motions create a pretty plumb hole without having to backfill too much? Our poles rely on the strength of the walls. Ofcourse we cement the poles in in the final stage. We might need to consider sonotubes now, but do you think a backhoe would be beneficial to us? You input would be greatly appreciated. We will renting when the ground thaws to try this out.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-07          79172

You might want to consider a little larger unit like a mini excavator so if you had the dump trailer that you hauled it there in you could haul the scraps away. To dig 8' down you need at least a 10' hoe to dig it well. ....

View my Photos
grinder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-08          79209

I think a mini would be perfect for what you are trying to do. When you rent it spend the day practicing round holes,
It will take a while but I think you will find it Ideal.
I envision a custom radial cutting edge on a separate bucket
for finish work.
Ask these guys if it's possible.
You may want to consider quick change attachment option and a few different
bucket widths.
Good luck. Dig Safe! ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
bx23kid

2004-03-09          79345

Thanks for the help guys. Most holes that we dig are approx. 4' deep X 2' wide. Also, most holes are at residential estate with full-time landscapers that wouldn't want to see their lawn thrashed up by the excavator. Thats why I was leaning towards the BX23 or B21, possibly with the turf tires. Plus most jobs that we do arent accessible by truck either. So the spoil is still an issue too. I was thinking about pre-mixing the concrete into forms and transporting them to jobs. So I xould excavate the hole, drop the concrete form in, then backfill w/ the spoil and lose the rest in the woods. You gotta help me guys..... ....

View my Photos
CraigC

2004-03-09          79353

I don't know if you are aware but, mini excavators are usually on rubber tracks. ....

View my Photos
Kendews

2004-03-09          79357

Yeah, but even with the rubber tracks, the skid steering will tear up turf - especially in the spring. My BX23 can dig a very neat hole, but only 5 or at most 6 feet deep. I'm in New England, and extracting boulders means that the hole will always be a bit ragged.

View my Photos
Art White

2004-03-10          79421

That unit is a great little unit but it won't dig all your holes that is why I suggested the Excavator. The BX is the best in it's size and you should feel comfortable knowing that if that configuration can't do it that nothing can except the excavator! ....

View my Photos
bx23kid

2004-03-10          79427

Ok guys..Looks like we have 3 sizable jobs tomorrow (Thursday) so we will be renting a brand new BX23 to try it out. The holes are going on a little curbed-in island just off the pavement, so the mini-ex would be perfect there, but I'm going to put the BX23 to the test. I'm going with the 10" bucket. I'm also bringing a piece of plywood, approx. 20"wide X 36"deep to 'box-in' the hole where the bucket pulls towards the machine (Just in-case). I'll let u guys know how it goes. ....

View my Photos
CraigC

2004-03-10          79476

My neibor is a landscaper, to plant trees He uses a skid loader with a 24" hydraulic post hole digger. Just wondered if that would work for you. ....

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2004-03-10          79494

I got a friend with a 36" auger on his John Deere 270 skit steer. That would work, but will run you twice the price of a Bx23. ....

View my Photos
CraigC

2004-03-11          79577

Could go with a compact and a post hole digger, would be easy on the grass and should still be cheaper than a hoe. ....

View my Photos
ericlun

2004-05-22          86587

You can did a perfectly square hole with the BX23, I have one and it does take some practice. The Kubota BX23 guide even provides instructions on how to dig square...check it out at the dealership. The tractor does NOT dig up the yard and you could probably used the utility of the FEL when moving cement and removing overburden. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
ericlun

2004-05-22          86588

You can dig a perfectly square hole with the BX23, I have one and it does take some practice. The Kubota BX23 guide provides instructions on how to dig square hole...check it out at in the guide that the dealership should have. The tractor does NOT dig up lawns and you could probably used the utility of the FEL when moving cement and removing overburden. You can also get into tight spots with it, these are all reasons I purchased one. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
jjfinn

2004-06-28          89578

Hey BX23kid. Wonder what your experience was with the BX23 and its hoe. I have been pleased with mine, but have not yet dug post holes. What do you think after your test? ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login