Go Bottom

Backhoe controls location

View my Photos
loganWildman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-05-07          85463

I am thinking seriously about building a backhoe from a Cadplans kit to save $$ and cadplans offers a split hydraulics kit which got me to thinking.

What does everyone think about putting the controls in front of each arm rest like they do on excavators then putting a small safety shield between the operator and the hoe?

Seems like this would offer more operator comfort for extended operation.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-08          85535

That sounds like a good idea. I'm ah thinking your arms would not spend much time on the rests. My valve controls on the JD48 require quite a stroke for full function.

I would also think you would need 2-3 valve block arangements to faciliate the mechanical linkages.

I do not find the BH levers that big of a problem and with my feet up on the supports my arms are in my lap. My biggest bitch is every company seems to valve controls different.

I use my BH quite often and it is hard to remember that it's only a little baby hoe and to keep it with in it's limitations. My biggest grumble is moving... climbon-climboff...

All that said it is much better than a shovel and wheel barrow.

I think next purchase in a mini excavator. ....

View my Photos
loganWildman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-05-09          85590

I think a mini excavator is the stuff! However, I have yet to find one within my budget of 3K.

I do Landscaping on the side, and have rented both mini's and full size backhoes, but for smaller jobs, having your own hoe would be nice and cost effective. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login