Go Bottom

Alternative bucket sources for Woods BH7500 backhoe

View my Photos
domogala
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-27          89466

I purchased a BH7500 backhoe with a 16" bucket. I want to buy a 8" trenching bucket as a second bucket. Are there any alternative sources for the 8" bucket besides Woods (Gannon)? I was quoted $380 for an 8" bucket from the Woods dealer.

A potential Woods comatible source I can think of might be the Prarie Dog folks. That backhoe is a Woods knockoff but I haven't found out if the buckets are truly Woods compatible. The price I've seen for their 8" bucket was $275. I just gotta find out if the bucket is Woods compatible.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
dfkrug
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-28          89511

Don't you love the Woods prices?

Here is the info you need on the Prairie Dog buckets:
Pin diameter: 0.995", pin spacing: 7", dipper stick end width: 4.25". Weight is 58 lb for the 8" bucket. It can be UPSed, with bucket teeth romoved. It is also available without the brackets welded on. It is a nicely-made bucket,
lacking only a drain hole.

I can have it drop-shipped to you for the $275 + shipping if you have not already found a source.

What did you pay for the 7500 hoe?

View my Photos
domogala

2004-06-29          89680

Thanks for the dimensions. I will check them against the Woods dimensions and see if there is a fit. It would be interesting to see what the shipping would be (zip code 03087, Windham, NH).

I seriously considered the Prairie Dog. I even spoke to a dealer in Vermont on the phone for a while and also consulted Jeff on this board. I managed to get the local Woods dealer down to $6K from $6500. I actually loved the Prairie Dog a lot and was all set to buy it. You can call me conservative, but I chose to stick with the brand name for a few reasons, none of which I wish to start pissing contests about:
- Resale, probably the largest factor. Everyone knows Woods, not too many know Prairie Dog.
- Local availability of parts. I know that the Prairie Dog dealer is in Vermont and not too far from me in NH, but a lot of people carry Woods parts in stock here, and all can be reached on Saturdays.
- After adding everything up including shipping, I was within the acceptable differential in price after I got the dealer down from $6500 to $6K for the Woods.
- Woods came standard in orange (I actually would have painted the Prairie Dog orange, but considered the time that would be involved, which for me is kinda scarce these days). ....

View my Photos
stevenc
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-06-29          89681

C&P bucket in Tenn is a bucket Mfg,,maybe check there,,FYI,,RHINO makes the New Holland back hoe,,it isnt close,,it is EXZACTLY the same hoe,,about $500.00 less money,, ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-06-29          89688

58 pounds for an 8 inch bucket? Holy Smoke!

Wadda da make dat thing outta, depleted uranium?

I just mailed a 9" GreatBend/Deere bucket from NV to MI for $31 Parcel Post. It took a month to get there and I didn't have to pull any teeth. I just slapped labels on it and sent it off.

BTW, it weighed 34 pounds on the Post Office scale. ....

View my Photos
dfkrug

2004-06-29          89697

34 lb! What does GB makes those out of, balsa wood? This is the first time I have heard a complaint about any tractor equipment built TOO sturdy. LOL BTW, the 18" bucket weighs 108 lb for the 7.5 and 119 lb for the 10.5 hoe.

The vendor in MI uses UPS and they have been requested by same to remove teeth before shipping, if shipped naked. In a box, they might poke through.

As for the Woods hoes, the 7500 models do not use dual swing cylinders, while the Prairie Dog does. This puts the 2 machines in different leagues. Woods prices on the parts as well as the hoe are usually 50% higher. I do like the colors they offer, though...... ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-06-30          89730

I transposed the numbers. It is 43 pounds.

Not everyone gets my humor. I should start using those little smiley faces. : { ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-06-30          89740

I think this has been mentioned before on other threads, but here goes anyways.

If you are in heavy (clay or sticky) or rocky soil, you may regret using a bucket any smaller than 12".

We have a small bucket for our mini-ex's, it rarely gets used.

In heavy or wet soil it packs full so hard that you nearly have to pick it out with a pry-bar. In rocky soil the trench is so small that there is hardly any room to pick at a rock. Even if the soil is good and you get a 8" or 9" trench dug, it is so narrow that you can't get in it to do any work.

In practical terms, it really doesn't take any longer to dig or backfill a 12" trench than it does a narrower one.

The guys did find one really good use for it though, it's the only thing heavy enough to hold the fire door in the shop open against the hydraulic closer, it creates a nice cross breeze in the shop on warm days.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
domogala

2004-06-30          89794

The main reason for purchase... running a ton of sprinkler lines. The trenches do not have to be very deep, but I would like to keep them narrow as to keep the amount of ripped up lawn to a minimum. So I can either rent a pipe puller or just buy the narrower bucket and have it after the job is finished.

View my Photos
domogala

2004-09-02          95342

I purchased the 8" Prairie Dog bucket. Sorry to say that the bucket did not fit the Woods 7500, and this is after confirming with the folks in MI that the buckets were interchangable between the Woods and Prairie Dog. The pin hole diameters were too small, although not by much, probably by a few thousandths of an inch. I could have fixed that if I wanted to, but there were bigger problems with the bucket in my opinion. The bucket I received was not welded correctly. It was not completely square, and the attaching brackets were not welded parallel with the sides of the bucket, and one of them was warped from the heat of welding. When I'm talking about not being parallel with the bucket, it was off by at least 5 degrees, and when I talk about warped, The largest gap with a straight egde was over 1/4". If I could get the bucket mounted onto the hoe and curled up the bucket, it would have been off to one side by about an inch at the teeth.

So, I returned the Prairie Dog bucket and purchased the correct Woods/Gannon bucket after shopping for a good price. I got within $50 of the Prairie Dog price, locally. ....

View my Photos
dfkrug

2004-09-02          95384

Sorry you had the bad experience.

Recall that I posted the pin diameter as 0.995". The Woods machine probably has 1.00" pins. I have no Woods buckets, but I have had several of all sizes of the Prairie Dog Buckets and they are all well made. I never use my little 8-incher, however.

I am sure that your local dealer will honor the warranty and take the bucket back. Too bad he did not have any units you could see before buying. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login