Go Bottom

Kubota 2 Beavers 1

View my Photos
shortmagnum
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-22          97033

After one year I finally got the backhoe I bought up an running. I ended up putting a PTO pump and 10 gal tank on it. It pumps enough so that I barely need to run the engine much over idle (about 1500 RPM). More than that and the swing is too fast.

Even before I was completed I had to dig out the beaver dam that's been bothering me. The tank was roped to the side of the backhoe barely hanging on but I could tell right away that it would work. It made short work of the sticks and mud that have been a pain in my side for years. My buddy looked at the ropes holding the tank on called it "Jethro'd up." So that prompted me to finish the tank mounts and now it looks and works pretty good.

Of course the beavers rebuilt the dam that night so the next day I dug it out again and that night I snuck down there with the old sixteen gauge. There was one of the little monsters swimming towards me about 15 yards away. He didn't swim far. I'm starting to act like Bill Murray on Caddie Shack.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Kubota 2 Beavers 1

View my Photos
Iowafun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-22          97052

I had a coworker ask me if I used a backhoe on my gopher problem. It's tempting I tell you! Beavers vs 16 gauge. Yep, they don't quite compete with that. ....

Kubota 2 Beavers 1

View my Photos
Animal
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-09-23          97092

Don't flatter yourself. Bill Murray has more brains than the two of you combined! ....

Kubota 2 Beavers 1

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-09-23          97094

Sounds like we've got an animal rights activist troll here. Why don't you come on up and give one of those giardia spreading oversize rats a big kiss. Don't step in the #330 connibear though. It might hurt.
Dave ....

Kubota 2 Beavers 1

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-09-23          97104

I dunno. If Bill Murray is the smart one then maybe you guys should be using dynamite :) ....

Kubota 2 Beavers 1

View my Photos
DennoAce

2004-09-23          97107

lol good call ....

Kubota 2 Beavers 1

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-09-23          97116

Ken, dynamite was my plan for the first dam destruction. It would have provided a good show. The friend who "commented" on my fabrication job thought he had a licensed explosives expert lined up. But it was not to be. The guy was lying about his expertise. So it was back to the backhoe plan. At least Wisconsin is pretty liberal about what it will let you do to get rid of beavers on your own property.
Dave ....

Kubota 2 Beavers 1

View my Photos
TomG

2004-09-24          97132

Removing the beaver rather than the dams works better I think. A shotgun works for beaver removal but takes a lot of time sitting around I imagine. Around here you'd just call up the trapper who has the district and provide encouragement to trap that particular family out. Some encouragement is needed since beaver pelts taken in most areas (and especially during the summer) aren't worth enough to make tapping them worthwhile. The usual encouragement can provide a good time for all concerned--except for the beaver of course. Of course, more will be back next year as long a poplar are standing--another excuse for more encouragement.

Kubota 2 Beavers 1

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-09-24          97139

Tom, I agree. Removing dams will do almost nothing to get rid of them. But it IS the fun part. My brother trapped quite a few out last winter but as you say, the pelts are no longer worth the effort.

Now if I were a marketing genius I could imaging getting someone like Deon Sanders to wear a beaver hat on the sideline of a football game. That would start a demand for beaver hats that would spread across the country making beaver pelts valuable again.

Deon, are you logged into tractor point? ....

Kubota 2 Beavers 1

View my Photos
Murf

2004-09-24          97150

Dave, see if you can get Scooter to send you some of those Gophers of his, if you could get them to dig holes in the dam, then the water would drain, drowning the gophers and the beavers would leave because there was no pond.

Now is that not the perfect engineering solution? ....

Kubota 2 Beavers 1

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-09-24          97152

Murf, that would be a great solution.

But wouldn't you rather have a nice warm beaver hat? I've heard they're the latest thing with the celebs out there. :) ....

Kubota 2 Beavers 1

View my Photos
Murf

2004-09-24          97163

I've got a nice warm fur hat, made from different fur-bearing rodents, several black minks now keep my folically-challenged size 8 melon warm on even the coldest of Canadian winter days.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login