Go Bottom

JD 950 Compact Won t Start

View my Photos
buxton
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-03-06          107378

My JD 950 compact tractor will not start with throttle in any position. Weather has been in the 50s and 60s. It worked fine when I parked it one month ago. It has fuel at the banjo fitting on top of the fuel pump. It cranks fine. It tries to run on a squirt of ether in the air cleaner but it is not getting any fuel to the cylinders. I have started this tractor in 18 degree weather with little trouble and with no ether. It has a bit over 6000 hours on it. Any ideas about why the fuel is not getting to the injectors?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
denwood

2005-03-06          107385

I would check the linkage to the fuel shutoff on the throttle if that is what that model has. If fuel is getting to the injection pump, check each injector line coming out of pump for flow. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-06          107398

Maybe someone can learn from my (bad) experience: Last month it was 5 degrees out and I'm outside kneeling in the snow 'cause my TC33D wouldn't start. Checked and cleaned all the fuses, tried to prime the injector pump, cleaned out the iced-up fuel in the filter bowl---still no fuel. Heated the engine with a propane torch. 3 hours later it occcured to me to put the seat down. Viola! Started right up.

That aside, my TC33D tends to get vacuum-lock if the fuel filler cap vent is clogged. ....

View my Photos
buxton

2005-03-07          107414

The fuel system on my 950 is entirely mechanical with all parts except the throttle linkage and the fuel line inside the engine. From the shop manual, I learned that the governer linkage, spring, etc. are behind cover plates above the fuel pump. Not sure why checking injector lines would do any good. Engine will not fire on any cylinders. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-07          107417

If fuel starvation is the problem, have you checked the filters, even if they are relatively new---just takes a bad batch of fuel to clog 'em? How about fuel delivery--if the system is gravity-feed the slightly clogged filters are more susceptible to preventing flow. If the system has a bad lift pump or transfer pump (mechanical or electric), that could be the problem. ....

View my Photos
buxton

2005-03-07          107439

My 950 has a gravity feed through the filter to the fuel pump. As my first post said, fuel is getting to the banjo fitting at the top of the fuel pump. My best thinking is that something is broken inside the fuel pump, but I was hoping that I was wrong and that there was an easier and cheaper answer. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2005-03-07          107446

I did a spec. search for your machine and didn't find out a whole lot. A similar model (970??) has a Yanmar engine--does yours?

Unless you already know, you might investigate whether the fuel pump is used on other equipment or other mfg's that use the same fuel pump rather than paying top-dollar from the JD dealer. My dealer wanted nearly $90 for the same pump I found at a semi-tractor dealer for $35 (mine was Perkins diesel used on many different applications from taxis, to boats, to generators, to rerigerator trailer). ....

View my Photos
denwood

2005-03-07          107476

My thought is the tractor was running and you shut it off so the first thing to check is the shut off linkage. It must cut fuel off to the pump past the banjo fitting you have fuel to. It is possible but highly unlikely that something other than the fuel shutoff broke instantly when you were done running it and pulled the throttle to shut it off. ....

View my Photos
buxton

2005-03-08          107526

Denwood, I understand your logic and I agree, but it will have to wait until I can get the pump off the tactor because the shutoff is apparently hidden inside the pump. ....

View my Photos
buxton

2005-03-20          108388

Got my tractor started and running fine. Removed inspection cover. Pried on fuel control with screwdriver until it moved. I guess it is just worn out. Will be careful how I shut it off till I can get it rebuilt. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login