Go Bottom

Ready for fifty-hour service

View my Photos
Ardician
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-27          108866

I have reached the fifty-hour mark with my JD 4310 with 420 loader. I have never been automotively inclined so I plan to call the dealer to come pick up the tractor for the service. Any advice about things to discuss with or request from the dealer?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-27          108887

Consider doing the service yourself. It's pretty straight forward and is probably expained in your owners manual. Doing the service yourself helps get you "into" the machine and appreciate a little better how to properly operate and care for it. There are plenty of folks on this board that will be happy to answer any questions you have about the service. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2005-03-28          108902

Most of the Deere dealers have a service truck that will come to you. It should be a lot less than hauling tractor to shop and back.

It's nice to have a experienced eye look it over, change the fluids and dispose of the waste oils and filters and leave no mess.

You might even consider having them service your other power equipment at the same time.

It is some thing you could do yourself. Go out and buy the oil, buy the filters, have some old rags to clean up with, speedy dry, filter wrenches, drain pan/s or buckets if you are changing the trans fluid (5+ gals worth), place to dispose of oil, time to do it...then stupid used oil container falls over in back of car and leaks...

Hell I do not even know why I do it. But I had to over the years and have all the stuff and a place to do it.To hard headed to change I guess. Filters still get burned out in wood stove, by winter there is quite a collection.

YUP I like your idea...Harvey

View my Photos
Ardician

2005-03-28          108946

Makes good sense, Beagle, but I think I'll let this first time pass. I used to change the oil in my old VW years ago before I could afford to pay someone else, but I don't think I want to do it this time. The manual-recommended service includes several things I don't have basic knowledge about nor do I have the proper tools (i. e., "Check and clean rockshaft control valve filter"). How much should I expect to pay? ....

View my Photos
harvey

2005-03-29          108967

It will vary quite a bit by geographic location and the name on the machine. Smaller areas away from big cities...

I would think based on our service calls: $1.50 a mile (round trip) to come out and $50-$75 or so an hour.

Depending on the company they can also tack on hazaradous waste disposal, cleaning supplies. Caterpillar is the worst for a multi-tude of various add ons and the highest price per travel mile and per hour, they go so far as to charge for hand cleaner.

As Beagle said it's not rocket science but the new electronics over hydraulic systems, transmissions and fuel systems necessiate dealer service.

Call around ask your dealer for a spring quote for the service. ....

View my Photos
kyvette

2005-03-29          109009

Ardician, I had my 50hr service done in December on my NH TZ24DA. The cost was; parts $120, labor $100 totaling $220. I trailered the tractor to the dealer, left it about 10 days and went back to get it. ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-08-14          114876

WOW!1 I was thinking about doing the same thing untill I read your post! For 220 I will be doing it myself, especially since I own the filters already!
Thanks for the heads up ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2005-08-30          115687

BROKENARROW: FYI My buddy just got a price on a 2005 Bobcat S250 with the Silver Edition package and it was about 2K LESS than my NH with the same toys. ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-10-10          117703

Thanks for the info! about the bobcat.

On the 50 hour service cost? I picked up my tracto the other week from a close dealership (to my place) They only charged me $135! For that price I figured hav at it. I still have the filters gave to me by the purchasing dealer so I will do thew next one myself. (LOL) Figure at the rate I am going I will be about 65yrs old by the next one and at that point and time I should have ALL kinds of time.
Anyway $135 for the service In northern Wis. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login