Go Bottom

2001 TC33D 33HP ENGINE PROBLEM

View my Photos
WHITEBOY11
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-11-28          119992

MY ENGINE IS SPITTING OIL FROM EXHAUST, BLOWING WHITE SMOKE AND HAS A SLIGHT RATTLE...ANY IDEAS? MOTOR WAS REBIULT 100HRS AGO. THIS PROBLEM HAS BEEN HAPPENING SINCE REBIULD. DEALER HAS BEEN WAITING FOR RINGS TO SEAT, BUT i AM WORRIED THERE IS A PROBLEM!!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-28          120016

Sounds a lot like slobber. I've seen brand new Caterpillar engines (you oughta see a brand new 475hp Western Star all chromed up truck with about 2 gallons of black gue oil drizzled all over it and the new owner standing there ;-)) do this because all they did was run at idle a lot moving them around in the yard. My recent Cumming toy also had this problem and it took a good hard run to clear it.

Do you have something you can put the tractor on that will work the engine? A heavy generator and run some good amprage thru it. Mowing deck in heavy grass or hay. Get the tractor to work and get it to operating temp.

If this does not clear it, what was rebuilt? ....

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-29          120042

Typically if the oil compression rings are not seating properly the slobber problem is from the crank case vent tube. Oil slobber from the exhaust could be an indication of an improperly installed or damaged valve stem oil seal as well as improperly or not yet seated oil contrl rings.

Harvey made a good point. A diesel engine is built to work hard and allowing it to idle excessively, especially with a recently rebuilt or manufactured engine is hard on them.

As already mentioned, a finish mower deck or rotary cutter would be a good means of placing a moderate load on the engine to work against. Try running it in this configuration for an hour or two paying CLOSE attention to the crank case breather tube and exhaust. The oil should burn off and clear up after about the first 10 or 15 minutes of running against a load, maybe longer depending upon outside temps. I see by your profile that you are in the northern climes and if installed, I would suggest plugging in your engine block heat for an hour or two prior to starting the engine. This will allow the engine to warm up as fast as possible.

Why was the engine rebuilt so soon? ....

View my Photos
WHITEBOY11

2005-11-29          120048

I have moved about 100yds of topsoil with tractor. First 50hrs was strictly for breakin, second fifty was moving dirt. I ran about 4hrs each day before I went off to work. Dirt was moved from the street to back-yard and spread. So, I think it was pretty well worked.
I'm not a diesel engine guy, but I feel strongly that the rings are involved(cyl's honed and rings were replaced). I have no idea what the rattle is...sounds like valve slapping in a gas engine ....

View my Photos
WHITEBOY11

2005-11-29          120049

I have worked the tractor by moving and spreading dirt. I moved and spread 100yrs during the summer. I have not operated the tractor in cold weather. The longest I have work was about 6hrs straight. I spit oil and blew white smoke the entire time.
When I got the motor back from dealer, black oil was leaking right away from the center cly. between the exhaust manifold gasket and the engine block. The engine does sound like it has valve slapping.

View my Photos
Chief

2005-11-29          120051

Sounds to me like the dealer needs to come pick up the tractor and take it back to their shop and figure out what the problem is. After over 100 hours, this should not be happening. You never did say why the engine was rebuilt so soon. Was the engine over heated in the past or did it have some other type of damage to it? ....

View my Photos
harvey

2005-11-30          120093

If you have a 100 hrs on it since rebuild and you have white smoke and black oil drops. I'd call the dealer.

It could be as simple as a bad injector or 2 or timing. And could be... deep. White smoke is not indicative of oil problems it would be very blueesh. I've still got to believe its near the top of the motor.

The rebuilder needs to solve, me thinks! ....

View my Photos
WHITEBOY11

2005-11-30          120117

The engine was rebuilt by a very good Mech. I think the big problem is that I am in NY and dealer is in NC, 900 miles between those letters!
I bought the tractor used and did not have it very long before it started to make a very ugly noise. I was covered under warranty and never really got an answer on exactly what happend. I do know that one of the heads hit the cyl. and all cyl. were honed.
I would like to check compression. Where can I buy, or how do I make a gig to test compression? What is best method to check?
I would also like to check the setting of the 7308 relief valve?
Thanks to all the guys who are taking the time to help me...There is alot I need to learn. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-12-01          120176

To illiminate the possibility of a bad injector or injectors, it certainly wouldn't hurt to pull the injectors and take them to a diesel shop or local Case/New Holland Dealer to have pressure tested. ....

View my Photos
WHITEBOY11

2005-12-01          120180

Can I make my own test unit to check injectors?
I checked the breather for crank, clean as a whistle.
Checked out your pics Chief, very nice! ....

View my Photos
oneace

2005-12-01          120228

You would probably not be able to make your own injector pop off tool. If you take them to a local dealer or diesel shop they would probably test them for next to nothing if they would even charge you at all. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login