Go Bottom

Briggs 5hp engine seized

View my Photos
SG8NUC
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-04-23          141449

I bought a Chipper/Shreader used for $150 with a 5hp Briggs I think it is a MTD. It is far from the pride of the fleet. Anyway to make a long story short I ran the thing out of oil and the piston froze in the cylinder. After some ado (prying on the cutters) I managed to get the engine to turn over and spin freely. It cranked on the first pull and runs good but smokes. I am sure that where the rings welded to the side of the cylinder is the problem.

Now for the Question: As I am not going to tear this engine down, Is there some magic liquid that I can add to the oil or gas that may help to prolong its life.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Briggs 5hp engine seized

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-04-23          141450

Three little words.

Marvel Mystery Oil.

Either that, or considering your reasonably warm location, fill it with 80W-90 gear oil.

I doubt you'll have to worry much about skeeters bothering you while you work either way......

Best of luck. ....

Briggs 5hp engine seized

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2007-04-23          141457

Thanks Murf I'll stop at wallyworld and try it this weekend. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login