Go Bottom

In need of a German Speaker for tractor restoration help

View my Photos
clifford
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-06-24          143156

I am living in Austria and as a native English speaker I have been asked to help an Austrian man translate part of a service manual into German so that he can finish restoring his tractor. The problem is, I have no idea about machines so it is very difficult to help this man. I am looking for someone to help him. He has a Massey-Harris 44 Diesel tractor manual. He needs help with the connecting rods, the cylinder head and the clutch. From what I understand it specifically has to do with bolt torques. For someone who knows what they are doing I'm sure this would not take much explanation. I would greatly appreciate help from a german speaking person and so would this nice Austrian man.
Thank you,
E. Kaefinger

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-06-24          143158

Clifford,

Can you post the parts of the manual that you want translated? ....

View my Photos
clifford

2007-06-25          143171

Hi,
This comes from the manual MH-S-44 DSL. If you happen to have it this man's first question is on page 20. It is about bearings and connecting rods. I think he needs to know exact torque requirements. His next question is on page 22. It is about the cylinder head. His last question is on page 39. It is about clutch assembly - flywheel and bolt tightening.
Like I said although I speak German I have no idea about machines so I am not able to help him. And I would greatly appreciate it if you could help him. If you need copies of these pages please let me know.
Thank you so much,
Clifford ....

View my Photos
clifford

2007-06-25          143172

Hi again,
After re-reading your reply - What do you mean by post the parts of the manual??
C ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-06-25          143177

Post the German text on the site that you want an opinion on in German or translated or both.

Or scan it and put a link to the image or send the image to me at DennisCTB at hotmail.com and I will make it available on the site.

Dennis
Tractorpoint.com ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-06-25          143186

I speak some German, particularly technical German and would be happy to help you out. Please post the paragraphs that you are looking for help and I will reply with a message in German. It will be far from perfect grammar but your friend will understand me.

It has been a long time for me since visiting Austria. I liked Salzburg and Innsbruck but particularly enjoyed a part of Vienna that sits on a hilltop. It is called something like "Grundzigs Platz". The dining and atmosphere and music were awesome as was the "Neuwein"! ....

View my Photos
clifford

2007-06-25          143211

Hi Dennis,
This is great. I'm going to have someone help me scan the parts he needs translated. For some reason my computer isn't cooperating. It might take a day or two before I get it done.
Thank you so much,
Clifford (I'm actually Clifford's Mom Liz) ....

View my Photos
clifford

2007-06-26          143224

Hi Dennis,
I have the scanned pages from the manual but I don't know how to get them to you. Could I possibly send them to you by email? If not do you have another idea.
Thanks so much,
Liz (Clifford's Mom)

View my Photos
clifford

2007-06-27          143248

Hi Dennis,
My brother-in-law has scanned and emailed to me the manual pages that need to be translated or explained. It's actually just parts of the pages. He's really concerned about bolt tightenings. What I need to know is how can I get this to you? I'll be leaving on Saturday so if we can't get this taken care of now, that is absolutely OK. This is at your convenience. Or if you would rather not do this then please just let me know. I want to let him know that I have someone to help us out.
Again thanks so much,
Clifford's Mom ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-06-28          143310

Ok Here is first manual page I got from Clifford, for a Massey clutch assembly. The manual is in english so I guess what she is after is some clarification of what certain phrases mean.

Anyway, thy plan on asking some questions on these over the weekend.

Dennis

This is their tractor5 scanned page below in pdf format ....

Picture Link

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-06-28          143317

OK here is the next Manual page tractor4. ....

Picture Link

View my Photos
clifford

2007-06-29          143319

Great! This is the one which my Dad said was well explained so if you could translate or explain from the title CYLINDER HEAD to the picture PLATE NO: 17. He needs to know how to install it.

BTW - I met with Herr Dittler today and found out a bit more information.
I'd like you to know that I got into this stupidly for not asking more questions. A teacher at school where I work is in an oldtimer tractor club as is Herr Dittler. A member of the club asked Herr Dittler to restore this old tractor and gave him this manual in English. Anyway, Herr Dittler, like me and it sounds like maybe you since you've so kindly put up with all my computer incompentance, has a hard time saying no. It is obvious he is over his head in this thing. Apparently this has been going on for over a year trying to get parts from the States, problems with English etc. Anyway, I got him set up with tractorpoint and tried to show this nice elderly man how to chat and he almost had a nervous breakdown and explained the whole story. So we decided after you have tried to explain the bolt tightenings etc. (if you still want to - I know this is also taking alot of you prescious time) After I get back on the 10th of July I'll check what you have. Then I'll do my best to expain it to him. And we both decided if he doesn't get it then we have all done enough.
Again I appreciate your help. Please try not to spend to much time on it.
Thank you again and from my husband. He's been helping out, too.

Liz ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-06-29          143327

Clifford/Herr Dittler:

I'll translate the paragraph referring to the cylinder head tightening procedure and picture 17. I'll be away from the computer for a few days but will post it when I return.

View my Photos
clifford

2007-06-29          143328

Wunderbar!! Danke schön ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-07-03          143398

Clifford/Herr Dittler:
Please excuse my poor grammar!!! Es tut mir leid das meine Satze zind furchtbar!!!!

WICHTIG

Bei installieren das Zylinder Kopf, anziehen die Zylinder Kopf Stiftschraube Muttern aufeinander folgen wie schauen im bild 17*.

Gleiche anziehen die Muttern (kleinen zuwachs) und weiderholen die betrieb bis fest (aber nicht maximal drehmoment). Laufend der motor und erwaermen bis normal betriebs temperatur. Geben die boltzen eine letzte anziehen. Drehmoment Schrauben Schluessel spannung fuer boltzen ist 130 bis 140 foot lbs. oder 175 bis 190 Nm.

*(z.b. Anfangen zu anziehen im gleiche 20 bis 40 Nm zuwachs mit mutter 1, denn 2, und 3 und zuweiter bis 17. Gehe noch einmal 20-40 Nm hocher durch 1, 2, 3 bis 17. Gehe als mere bis fest.) ....

View my Photos
clifford

2007-07-10          143562

Hi,
Thank you so much!! I'll get this to Herr Dittler.
I take it you have the other 2 pages. If you have questions, please let me know.
Danke schön,
Liz ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-07-10          143570

Clifford,

I guess its the Questions that you have that are needed for what you want translated, right?

Dennis
Tractorpoint ....

View my Photos
clifford

2007-07-11          143592

Hi,
From what I understand (and that is not a lot) Herr Dittler needs to know the bolt tightenings or torques for the clutch and the connecting rods. If you could explain that in German that would be great! I think that is his main problem. I am assuming you have pages 20(connecting rods) and 39(clutch). If not please let me know. Then as far as I'm concerned you especially have done enough.
Tausend Dank,
Liz ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-07-11          143593

Dennis:
Can you post pages 20 and 39? ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-07-11          143595

She only sent me page 22 and page 39. I posted both of them already. But here is page 39 again in the link below.. ....

Link:   Manual Page 39

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-07-11          143599

Dennis:

Sorry I was only looking at page 2 of this discussion. Page 39 doesn't give tightening torgues for any of the clutch bolts but a description about taking it apart and keeping it clean.

We need to have Liz sent page 20. Wir brauchen seite 20. Seite 39 gibt keine drehmoment befestigen nummer. ....

View my Photos
clifford

2007-07-12          143630

Hi,
I have just sent you page 20 again. I hope you get it. If not please let me know. I wrote to you to forget page 39 if it doesn't have anything about bolt tightenings. According to my husband that is Herr Dittler's main concern, so if you can explain that on page 20 I think that is all that needs to be done.
Thank you,
Liz ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-07-12          143631

Ok here is page 20. Clifford sent an email with it as follows:

"Hi,
I have just sent you page 20 again. I hope you get it. If not please let me know. I wrote to you to forget page 39 if it doesn't have anything about bolt tightenings. According to my husband that is Herr Dittler's main concern, so if you can explain that on page 20 I think that is all that needs to be done.
Thank you,
Liz"

Link:   Manual Page 20

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-07-13          143668

Page 20 says nothing about thread tightening torques. Seite 20 sagt nichts ueber gewinde drehmoment anzeihen. It talks about slip and press fits and also size specifications. Es sprecht ueber spiel und druecken passend und auch teilen groessen.

My local tractor dealer says: Meines locale Zugmaschine Haendler sagt:

A 1/2" heat treated alloy bolt (grade 8) normally is tightened to 104-117 ft. lbs. torque in grey cast iron connecting rods and 115-130 ft. lbs. for forged steel.

In normale, die hoch Metallegeirung 1/2 zoll boltzen ist anziehen bis 104-117 ft. lbs. wenn die KurbelPleuelstange ist auf Grauguss Stahl gemacht und 115-130 ft. lbs. fuer Geschmiedet Stahl.

Page 20 says the connecting rod is forged steel. Seite 20 sagt die KurbelPleuelstange ist auf Geschmiedet Stahl gemachtet. ....

View my Photos
clifford

2007-07-14          143684

To Everyone who helped on the Austrian Tractor Project,
I thank you so much. I will now give Herr Dittler this information. I don't know whether this tractor will be restored any time soon. After visiting Herr Dittler it looks like he has quite a few Austian projects in progress.
Auf jedenfall, vielen, vielen Dank noch einmal,
Liz ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login