Go Bottom

FINDING A HYDRAULIC LEAK

View my Photos
skipll
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-09-30          185056

Have a hydraulic leak----will the leak show just sitting there running----OR---does something need to be used like the bucket, tracts etc.? It has been sitting with the engine running now for 5 minutes--no sign of leak.
I'm thinkin the tracts need to be operated as when going uphill if ya look back ya can see a slight dots of stain on the gravel.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

FINDING A HYDRAULIC LEAK

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-09-30          185063

If it's in a hose, if you hold paper towels around them with a bit of tape, a leak is easy to see on the paper. ....

FINDING A HYDRAULIC LEAK

View my Photos
kthompson

2012-10-01          185071

Skip it depends on what is leaking. If suction side may show up better off. If a pressure line to say boom might only leak using the boom.

But if leaking on the ground good chance you can find it with it off, crawling under it. Go to top of where the oil shows up and that is probably it. If a hose or fitting the swivel good luck getting to it. You may find you have to remove hoses up to the one you have leaking.

Be very careful with system running the pressure can be high enough to hurt you if it his your skin. ....

FINDING A HYDRAULIC LEAK

View my Photos
Murf

2012-10-01          185076

Skip,

Leaks that one are tough to find. It's a peach of a job, but the only really definite way to do is to clean the machine so well there's no oil or dirt left anywhere in the area you think the leak is.

Once it's all clean and dry, then you slowly start to operate the machine until you see a wet spot forming.

It's not easy, but it's about the best way.

I've heard of people using special dye you put in the hydraulic oil. When the fresh oil with the dye starts coming out you can see the difference between old and new leaks.

Best of luck.

FINDING A HYDRAULIC LEAK

View my Photos
skipll

2012-10-01          185077

Leak found----It would not leak operating the bucket---or just running for that matter. So I took it off the RR ties that I used to crawl under for inspection.
I then raised the machine up off the ground & ran the tracts in forward & reverse for a few minutes----Then went to the engine compartment for a look see-----Yup---- was leakin a steady drip from a conection on the hydraulic pump. I tightened it best I could with a 7/8" wrench which was a tad too big. That pretty much stopped the leak. Went to town & bought a 22mm wench & will go out & tighten more.

THANKS for the informative replies ;) ....

FINDING A HYDRAULIC LEAK

View my Photos
kthompson

2012-10-01          185078

On fittings some are pressure fit only (machine finish to machine finish) and others are threaded only. Be sure on threaded you use teflon tape properly. Might be okay with dope if careful but I prefer tape.

If you don't have set of metric good time to be looking for them. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login