Go Bottom

gear problem

View my Photos
vronga
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-04-01          52383

I just purchase a Ford 1710. When I put it into 3rd gear, it pops right out. If you try to hold it in, it starts to grind. All other gears are OK. Anyone have any ideas of what it could be, and what it might cost to fix.

Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

gear problem

View my Photos
marklugo
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-04-01          52384

Third gear has chipped a tooth. ....

gear problem

View my Photos
vronga

2003-04-01          52389

Thanks mark,

Any idea how costly?

V. ....

gear problem

View my Photos
marklugo
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-04-01          52390

This is a major repair, expect 1500 minimum for parts and labor unless labor is real cheap here. I suspect that New Holland might have obsoleted the parts by now unless it is still being used in the current 1720's(which it very well could be the case). They were bad about that when I used to sell parts for them in the mid 90's. Hope not though. Don't use it too much, the gear tooth might dislodge from its resting place and get between some other ones and then you will be looking for another transmission. Load it up and take it in. Chances are the magnet in the transmission caught it. However, I saw a CaseIH/Mitsubishi this week that this was not the case. The tooth lodged between two other gears and stalled every thing out when it was put in any gear. ....

gear problem

View my Photos
vronga

2003-04-01          52396

Wow, that's a nice piece of change. Any way a do it yourselfer can do this with some pro tools?

Thanks. ....

gear problem

View my Photos
Vince ROnga

2003-04-01          52398

Mark,

One last thing. I've been using the machine in 1st and 2nd gear. Are you suggesting not to use it at all?

Thanks ....

gear problem

View my Photos
marklugo

2003-04-01          52399

It depends on your skill level. You will need a press, snap ring pliers of several descriptions, wrenches,punches, hoist,jacks, pry bars, drain pans. strength of Samson and patience of Job, and memory of them both(Or a good friend, a cool day and a parts break down which your local dealer should be friendly enough to print off. ....

gear problem

View my Photos
marklugo

2003-04-01          52400

Not much until you can get it stripped down. The loose tooth could lodge any where. One question?How/when did this happen? It is possible to have a bad shaft bearing causing this problem but the difficulty and repair would be basically similar. One word of advice. Get a metal marking pen and mark which way the gears come out and which ones they were next to even if you have a breakdown.

gear problem

View my Photos
Vince Ronga

2003-04-01          52409

Sounds like a good days work. Fortunately, I'm in the midst of restoring an old car, so I have much of what I need. Except the patience, of course.

Actually, I just bought the machine this week. I was told it slips out of third gear by the seller. The tractor looks like it came out of the showroom and runs just the same. This was the only problem along with some electrical items (lighting etc.)

Thanks ....

gear problem

View my Photos
TomG

2003-04-01          52411

I'm just looking for the possibility of a less expensive problem. I wonder if it would make a difference to MarkL's diagnosis if the TX is the optional synchromesh rather than the standard sliding-gear TX. The synchromest TX has one shifter on the steering column and the range selector on the TX cover.

My 1710 has the synchro TX. It does pop out of reverse occasionally but doesn't require holding in and it doesn't make grinding sounds. It's got a long way to go before it becomes enough of a problem for me to repair it. When that time comes, I think there is some potential that replacing some of the linkage and detent ball might fix my type problem without major tear downs. I have heard grinding in synchro TX's before but not from my 1710. The stuff I've heard doesn't sound like gears though.

No matter which TX it has, I'd check to make sure the clutch isn't dragging.

gear problem

View my Photos
vronga

2003-04-01          52420

I like that sound "Less expensive". LOL

Tom,

Mine has F/R on the column, and 1-2-3-4 between your legs on the floor. Hope this helps. I'm worried weather I should continue using it for fear of creating a larger problem. I won't use it more than several hours per week. Bare in mind, it works fine in 1st, 2nd and 4th.

Thanks

Cheers

Vince ....

gear problem

View my Photos
TomG

2003-04-02          52435

Vince: Unfortunately, if it's the range 3rd rather than the column 3rd that's the problem, MarkL's diagnosis seems a pretty good one. In these TX's only the column gears are synchromesh and the range gears are sliding types. I guess there's still the possibility that a bent shifting fork or rail might cause the problem but the repair would still require splitting etc. The range shift linkage is accessible without a split and maybe even the shift fork pins but those don't seem very likely guesses. Unfortunately a split is required do as much as remove the rails to replace forks.

I'd go with Mark's notion of not using 3rd range until the problem is sorted out and there'd still be an element of risk to the tractor. I would ensure that there is about 3/4" clutch pedal free-travel and the clutch takes power evenly when engaged.

gear problem

View my Photos
vronga

2003-04-02          52439

Mark, Tom

Thanks very much for your comments guys. Really helps in understanding the problem. Sounds like you guys really know your stuff.

Cheers

Vince ....

gear problem

View my Photos
TomG

2003-04-03          52499

Vince: I did a bit of looking in my manuals. It looks like removal of the TX top-cover isn't too bad a job. With the cover off, the shift lever and linkage can be inspected and repaired if necessary. Other than being bent or having extreme ball and socket wear, there's not much to go wrong with the linkage. There is a pin that holds through the shift rod in the socket that would be a candidate. With the cover off, it looks like inspection of the gears, forks, interlock pins etc. is possible. Checking the fork/gear and fork/case clearances also might be possible.

It bears more thorough checking but it looks like removing the cover would allow you to definitely find the problem, and there's smaller chance of fixing it if linkage is the problem. The work should be done following manual procedures. There are a few things like parts that could fall off the cover bottom into the TX case to know about. A manual also would give the clearance specs.

gear problem

View my Photos
Vince Ronga

2003-04-03          52515

Thanks Tom,

I did just that yesterday. Didn't receive my shop manuals yet, so I went ahead cautiously. First of all, I noticed two gears had 1/3 wear on most of the teeth. Looks like the one on top was smaller in size than the one directly below it. I'll assume this was 3rd gear. All the other gears in the box showed no wear at all.

I noticed the fluid was creamy in color and a bit foamy. I drained the system, then used equal parts diesel/hydro fluid. Ran it for a few minutes then drained it and refilled with hydro.

I didn't notice any debris at the bottom of the case, although I couldn't see through some of the gears. I put everything back together with sealant around the cover. I did notice four small springs when I took the cover off. Two of which were missing a smaller inner spring. I feared they dropped to the bottom of the case when I took it off, but I checked as best I could and couldn't see anything.

Everything seems to work well now, accept 3rd gear of course. I feel a little better about running it now that I didn't find anything floating around the case.

What an epic.

Thanks again.

Vince

Go Top

Share This

Member Login