Go Bottom

JD 4600 leaking front differental cover

View my Photos
By the Brook Farm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-04-21          53472

I have a JD 4600 MFWD. The front differental cover plate is leaking fluid where it bolts to the carrier. It doesn't have much room to pull the cover plate away from the differential, let alone get to all the bolts. Anybody know if the front axle has to be pulled? What do you think a dealer would charge? Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 4600 leaking front differental cover

View my Photos
Bernie Galgoci
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-04-21          53484

BTBF - If the MFWD axle on the 4600 is in any way similar to the axle on the 4400, this isn't a big job, judging from the 4400 technical manual. Yes, the axle will have to be removed in order to reseal the differential cover to the housing, but that only takes removing the front drive shaft, two hoses, and eight bolts. The whole procedure -drain and pull axle, remove cover, clean and reseal, replace and refill axle - looks like about three hours max for the casual backyard mechanic who isn't trying to "beat the book." Not sure as to what a dealer would quote you on this ($150 - $200 ??). I was in a car dealership the other day where I saw the posted price for an eight cylinder "tune-up" at $199.95. I wouldn't be surprised at anything. Time IS money. Good luck. ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top

Share This

Member Login