Go Bottom

Loader Grease ARGH

View my Photos
Misenplace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-23          58171

I notice after about 10 hours when I need to re-rease all of the fittings on the FEL I get grease splatter all over the fittings-front end. I tried to use a grease remover, like the orange or purple stuff and I wound up spotting the zenoy hood because I didn't RTFL, argh !! Does anyone else have this problem ? The best method I found so far is paper towels but its a bit of a pain to clean.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Loader Grease ARGH

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-23          58174

Pressure washer Doc. Gotta have one to keep her nice and spiffy clean! ;o) Here is where and the model I just bought and I love it. Great piece of equipment for the money! ....

Link:   Link to the Tractor Point Best Buy Pressure Washer

Loader Grease ARGH

View my Photos
harvey

2003-06-23          58177

DKI the beauty of greasing is that it tries to push contanimants out. I use old cotton T's to clean excess where needed.

I use a Hostey pressure washer with hot water to remove dirt and stuff. PROBLEM the pressure washer pushes water and garbage back into and around the pivit points so I do not direct the spray at the joint. I also wash equipment first then grease. I try not to use chemicals that will affect the preformance of the grease. If I did what's the point of greasing?

I use a grease very heavy with Moly and it does not wash off very well even with HOT!!! water.

The other thing this excess grease does is catch dirt and stuff away from the joint you are trying to protect.

Well lubed is a good thing, until your wife touches it with a fresh manicure...

Harvey ....

Loader Grease ARGH

View my Photos
marklugo

2003-06-23          58179

Stop greasing it LOL!!!

Ya know Doc, if you worry about the grease getting on a tractor....

Seriously tractors are meant to get that way. Whether or not you clean the grease off the nipples won't add or subract one minute from the life of the tractor. Unless you do it for personal pride and then may I elude to the infinite source of wisdom of the Bible ... pride goeth before fall.

But if you must, a little mineral spirits and a rag do the trick. ....

Loader Grease ARGH

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-23          58183

Like mark said.. mineral spirits.

I used to buy old (and new) military rifles packed in some of the stickiest grease you can imagine and I had some that sat in the grease for 60 years or more.

Mineral spirits cleaned then better than anything else I ever tried, hands down.

But.... like the man said, it is a tractor. Lots of grease and no computers, please! ....

Loader Grease ARGH

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-23          58186

I have been useing the thick black moly type grease. What is driveing me a little nutty is not the grease on the outside of the joints or on the nipples but it actually seems to be throwing grease. I mean there are strands of it in spotches on the outside of the loader arms like you would expect to see thrown off a uncovered wheel bearing. If you bend over the machine to open the hood you get greased. I'll also confess to likeing to spit shine as its still new, lol. ....

Loader Grease ARGH

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-06-24          58202

MarkH: I think the stuff used on WWII military equipment was called cosmolene (I've never seen the word written so I have no idea of the spelling). It is pretty amazing stuff for corrosion prevention but getting parts cleaned up takes a labour of Hercules. I don't imagine it would do much as a lubricant. More recently I noticed that critical surfaces of precision measuring tools and standards come with sort of a plastic coating. It's easier to remove but I don't know if it's an improvement on WWII parts packing what ever it's called. ....

Loader Grease ARGH

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-06-24          58212

Cosmolene is better than the plastic dip coatings for corrosion prevention. The plastic is better a keeping critical surfaces from hitting other metal and dinging.

Mineral spirits work great.

If a bearing is not sealed like many of the pivots on a FEL, it is designed to have lubricant pushed through it. Be careful greasing sealed shafts, because if you allow grease to push out the other side it is also going to damage the seal. (This is most common on U-joints.)

I have seen a lot of off-road racing equipment damaged by cleaning it with a pressure washer. They work great for cleaning, but you have to be careful. Oil seals for example are primarily designed to keep oil in. A pressure washer can drive water and dirt right past the seal from the outside to the inside because the seal is not designed to prevent this. When using a pressure washer, don't go near the bearings and shaft entry points. (But that is where the grease and dirt are going to accumulate) If you do...hold the jet at a shallow angle so that the high pressure water is not directed down into the bearing/seal. ....

Loader Grease ARGH

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-24          58221

I think I will avoid the pressure washer and stick with paper towels. I just really wondered if everyone else has the flying grease problem on the fel. ....

Loader Grease ARGH

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-06-24          58226

I get a little grease by the pivots, but I don't think it is excessive. It does not get on the hood of the tractor. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login