Go Bottom

Ford 1710 starting problem

View my Photos
Digger John
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-07-15          59537

My Ford 1710 won't turn over. Battery and cables are good, As far as I know all safety switches are good. Turning switch doesn't heat glowplugs or turn starter. Lights don't come on. I suspect a bad ignition switch. Does anyone have a drawing from Ford Service Manual showing proper way to get at the switch to test it.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Ford 1710 starting problem

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-07-15          59545

There should be 12V on Terminal-A of the alternator. It's a red wire. This wire is fed from Terminal-B on the starter solenoid through a fusible link (also a red wire). Terminal-B is under a plastic boot on the solenoid, and terminals for the line from the battery as well as the alternator line connect to the terminal. The line from the alternator also is connected in parallel to another red wire that connects to terminal-50 on the starter switch. It is fed through the fusible link as well and should have 12V present. Another parallel connection is a white/black wire that connects to Terminal-A of the regulator.

All of these connections should have 12V present irrespective of the switch position provided that the wire from the solenoid is intact and the fusible link isn't blown. It's probably easier to test one of these connections and maybe find the fusible link than it is to get a voltmeter on of the switch terminals. I haven't found the fusible link on my 1710. Basically, all the auxiliary electricals are fed through the link. Hope this helps.

There were some changes to the wiring after 7/85 but they mostly they were to add gauges and I don't think anything discussed here is affected.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top

Share This

Member Login