Go Bottom

50 hour service - L3130

View my Photos
blizzard
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-01          63015

It's time for the 50 hour service on my L3130HST. I have the hydraulic, HST and oil filters but I'm wondering if there are any screens in the lube system that need to be cleaned. The instruction manual doesn't mention any.

Anyone have any tips on this maintinance or is it pretty straightfoward?

Thanks in advance,
bliz

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

50 hour service - L3130

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-02          63057

just do as the manual says and you should be fine. ....

50 hour service - L3130

View my Photos
blizzard

2003-09-03          63109

Thanks Art, I finished up at 2AM this morning, so I was not the speediest ( ~7 hours) mechanic. Minimal (but some) oil spots & pools ( need to get some different funnels.

I did find the 'foward front axel pivot' a little dry. I don't think it was ever greased as the vent plug was absolutely clean. Had to give it about 28 shots of grease (hand gun) before it overflowed. I will notify my dealer in case there is an issue here. Raised the tractor about 6" on jackstands and maple blocks, but next time I will go higher.
I used an spare 26" 3 point hitch drawbar to stabilize the extensions I had to use on my torque wrench to get the 160 ft-lb on the rear wheels. I will make some blocks for a similar purpose for the next time I have to tighten the backhoe frame bolts (166 ft-lb). As I get older I find I need two arms to do the work one could (:<
I munged the cotter pin for the brake adjustment clevis pin, can't find any in the garage clutter, so I will have to go to town and buy some more ( which will guarantee I will run into the old assortment within a week!!)

Thanks again
bliz

50 hour service - L3130

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-03          63113

You did fine!! You have more knowledge of your tractor at this time and when something starts to act different you will know what it looked like and what it did before. To need to tighten the wheels again I would say not, the hoe frame might get loose. When it is all clean, now that you have retorqued take a small paint brush and make a small line over the head of the bolts and nuts onto the chassis. That way if one does loosen up you will notice it with just a quick look. ....

50 hour service - L3130

View my Photos
Chief

2003-09-03          63120

I hear ya with those blasted funnels! I had one tip over on me as I turned my back for just a second with nearly a gallon of Hyguard in it. It sat there fine for a long time and waited for me to turn my back. I need sound proof walls for the garage. ;-) ....

50 hour service - L3130

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-09-04          63173

Maybe it's false pride of mine but from my wrenching days I think that properly set threads have a particular feel to them so I don't use a torque wrench. Cripes, the motorcycle shop owner where I worked never used micrometers either. When my mic readings and other owner's feel differed on whether something was out of spec re-reading on my part inevitably proved owner right. He''d laugh and say 'How you guys going to make any money if you spend all your time measuring stuff?' I can't charge the customers for the time just because you can't tell if things are in spec without a mic.

For people who do use torque wrenches and haven't heard this idea before, technically torque specs are for new bolts that have clean lubricated threads. Readings are taken when bolts are actually moving. The closer you can get to these conditions, the more accurate the readings. There are tightening sequences for many things that have published torque specs. Generically, tightening is done by going across a part for the next bolt, and tightening is done in stages. There's a story where somebody cracked an axle housing due to not following a tightening sequence for ROPS mounts.

Of course it's good not to be too obsessive about the torquing stuff. I did ride in a 60's Corvette form Mississippi to Colorado after AF tech school. The guy decided to pull the heads the day week before we left for some obscure reason. He put them back on the day before we left. The car was on the street and he was using a bunk bed spacer for an extension to an ordinary ratchet wrench. So I says; 'We going have replace a head gasket the middle of the night in the middle of Texas?'. He says: 'Nope,' and he was right.

50 hour service - L3130

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-04          63174

Tom, there are things that come natural to some and not to others. When working with tools all day long it is quite easy to get by and not follow procedures to a T. I used to be able to pull the engine in mid 50's chevys and have another one in and dring it in less then four hours. I would have to say if I did one in five to six hours today I would be doing good. I can still tell many of the sizes of the bolts used but i wouldn't be able to walk up to the tool box and pull out all of the exact wrenches needed to go under the car with for removal. If we were to check the clicker on your elbow we might find you to be off a couple of lbs! To use the torque wrench is good to get ourselves adjusted. ....

50 hour service - L3130

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-09-04          63181

Yes Art, that's what I meant by 'false pride.' Although I haven't stripped or had anything loosen up on me since my teens, it's safe to say that the clicker is my elbow is definitely off. Hope the comment did help somebody new to the torquing buz.

Your sort of speed always amazed me. I had it a little but the motorcycle shop owner always amazed me. Of course he'd owned the shop for 23 years and probably spent most of his life wrenching. I recall a very speedy sergeant who installed a short block from a rebuilder in a Rambler one morning as I was fiddling with a short-block myself. I was still fiddling when he returned all out of sorts with a burnt up engine. So, he had the engine back out in a flash while I was still fiddling and found that the rebuilder had installed the wrong crank bearing inserts or installed them upside down so the oil holes didn't line up. His speed was amazing and at that time so was his language. So, off he went to the rebuilder (I wouldn't have wanted to be the counter guy there) and had another short block in the car as I was still fiddling. Impressive, but better him than me or I'd probably still be in the base auto hobby shop living on take out pizza. The Corvette I mentioned must have been a late '50's now that I think of it, since my tech school was in '63. Late 50's probably were easier to work on.

50 hour service - L3130

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-04          63183

Tom I took an auto coarse at Morrisville college nearby here after high school. When I finished my number was 61 so my new employer was uncle sam. Got back looked under the hoods and thought Italians took over the auto engine development as there was nothing but spagetti covering engines. I had bought my first car at 11, it was an old hot rod that even was featured in a car magizne. Needed wireing and fuel system work which I did. I was really disappointed to find a hole in the piston and a couple of bent valves and a few other parts that were bad so I sold it to a hot rodder who fixed the engine and had a blast. I didn't have the funds to go any further at the time on it probably a good thing. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login