Go Bottom

Hot Ford

View my Photos
RichM.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-02-01          75702

Noticed that the block heater on my 2810 Ford puts the temp gauge in the red.Today when pushing back snow in expectation of next storm noticed running in the red again. However today the block heater was not plugged in and I started cold. I did notice that the Gauge showed " cold" when i started it. Plenty of coolant and it"s not freezing in the block or radiator. First impression is the thermostat is stuck closed or not opening all the way. Tractor does not boil over though. Any other guesses?. Ran fine in the summer without overheating even on the hottest days while bushhogging.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Hot Ford

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-01          75730

Without even discussing the possible causes of overheating, I think it odd that the block heater could put the temp gauge in the red. If it is like the block heater on my TC29, it is only a couple of hundred watts ( I can't remember exactly, but recall thinking it wasn't much different from a light bulb). I can leave it plugged in for hours (or days) and the block barely gets warm. Maybe if the thermostat was stuck closed, it would heat more, but I can't even imagine that it gets the coolant warm enough to open the thermostat. Is it possible the gauge is wrong? If not, I guess thermostat, plugged radiator or bad head gasket are the first things that come to mind for overheating.
Bill ....

Hot Ford

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-01          75731

First thing that came to my mind was the temperature sending unit. How close is the block heater to the temperature sender? ....

Hot Ford

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-02-01          75732

Does your gauge modulate between cold and hot or does it just pop from cold to hot with few readings in between? ....

Hot Ford

View my Photos
RichM.

2004-02-02          75800

Thanks for the tips, looking back now when I shut it down I wanted to check the radiator so I squeezed the upper hose and there was no pressure, removed the cap and checked coolant level. Now I'm leaning toward gauge or sending unit. No foam or water when the dipstick is pulled and exhaust seems same,no white vapor at least. ....

Hot Ford

View my Photos
RichM.

2004-04-02          81859

So now I'm befuddled. Ran the Ford about 8 hours this weekend running a Landpride overseeder and the gauge never got above halfway. Go figure. Best Guess is sending unit ( cheap and easy), then thermostat ( sort of a pain but still cheap) then the gauge. Or forget about it. ....

Hot Ford

View my Photos
Peters

2004-04-02          81924

I would check corrosion on the wire to the sending unit. Could salt water closed the loop while it was wet? ....

Hot Ford

View my Photos
TomG

2004-04-02          81925

My 1710 reads full hot when the ignition switch is off. One time I started it, gave it a short warm up, looked down and the gauge read full hot--I freaked.

I gave it a controlled shut down. Waited a bit and then turned it on. The gauge read cold and the tractor warmed up normally. With a bit of checking later in the day I figured out that the wiring was intermittent. Cleaning the sender and the fuse holder contacts fixed it up (I don't know which was the problem) and it hasn't reoccurred in five years. The thermostat did start sticking partially open between then and now and I noticed it wasn't coming up into the normal range except under heavy work. Sender units are pretty reliable but an ohm reading can be taken when the tractor is cold and again when it's hot to see if it changes. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login