Go Bottom

IH-484 Lossing RPMs

View my Photos
SE Lou
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-09-06          95743

I was pulling a 6'brush hog Saturday when I lost power, my RPM's dropped from 1950 to 1200 and could not be coaxed back to PTO speed. Fuel, Oil & Air filters are new. Tractor ran two hours before problem, so it was not bad fuel. I checked to radiator it was not hot. No warning lights, no stack smoke.

I bought some injector cleaner and ran the tractor for 2 hours at 1,000 and 1,200 RPMs. Seemed to improve engines ability to get up to 1,500 RPM, but still 1,950 is still out of reach. Suspect a fuel line clog or injector pump problem. Still don't know why the problem came on so fast.

Any Ideas as to the cause or possible solutions ?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

IH-484 Lossing RPMs

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-06          95746

First place I would take a look at is what is in the bottom of the fuel tank. Have you tried draining the tank and cleaning out any debry the may be restricting the fuel tank pickup screen or potentiall blocking the fuel line? While the tank is empty I would recommend blow out all of the fuel lines from the injector pump to the fuel tank. Are you sure the fuel tank is being properly vented so a vaccum does not build up over time? I bad fuel cap can cause this or a plugged tank vent. If it still has problems; it could be in the injection pump but it sure doesn't sound like it in this case. ....

IH-484 Lossing RPMs

View my Photos
TomG

2004-09-07          95759

In addition to Chief's suggestions you might want to check the throttle and max no-load rpm adjustments. It's not clear to me if the rpm loss is under loaded as well as unloaded conditions. ....

IH-484 Lossing RPMs

View my Photos
SE Lou

2004-09-07          95763

Thanks for your thoughts. Sounds like my next step is to drain and check the fuel tank and blow out the lines. It's a bear on the IH-4X4 series! It has a saddle shaped tank behind the seat with cross over lines and limited access to feeder fuel lines.

When I first lost power I checked the fuel cap to see if it was pulling a vacuum. It was not the problem. The power/RPM loss first occured under load, but when I released the PTO the problem persisted, so it does not appear to be tied to the PTO load.

The throttle seems to be working; I do have good access to the throttle lines, not sure how to adjust the max no-load rpm. Why would it suddenly be this far out of adjustment? ....

IH-484 Lossing RPMs

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-07          95766

You also need to check the crossover line from the two bottoms of the tank. That will tend to plug from time to time giving you the fuel loss problem. ....

IH-484 Lossing RPMs

View my Photos
drh1983

2004-09-10          96185

Check your shut off solenoid or shut off cable for
proper function,if that checks out pull off the fuel
return hose at the injection pump during the low power
problem and check for good fuel flow into a bucket.
If flow is good,your injection pump could be the
cause for low power.If not,check for restriction in
the filters or fuel line,then check transfer pump.
Good luck ....

IH-484 Lossing RPMs

View my Photos
Chief

2005-10-01          117200

SE Lou,

I would imagine that you have fixed the problem by now. Just curious as to what you found. One of the guys I let cut hay on the ranch owns an IH 484 & 784, and his brother owns an IH 464. Might be a good bit of info. to keep for future reference. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login