Go Bottom

Question about Hydraulic lines

View my Photos
lbrown59
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-10-24          99163

How do you release the pressure in order to repair or replace a line hose or other part

I have a BX23

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DK35vince

2004-10-24          99168

Most of the tractors hydraulic lines relieve pressure just by shutting the machine down.
For loaders or anything with a load/weight on it, shut the tractor down, lower the loader to the ground and run your loader control lever to relieve any pressure. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-02          99736

I agree with the last post about loaders/weight---however not all hyd. cylinders that are loaded will manually operate through the control valves when the machine is shut down. My big Case chain-trencher boom arm will not lower unless the engine is running. And newer equipment that has solenoid piloted valves require that (engine and/or battery) power be on also. In most cases as long as the equipment off and lowered down so nothing has motion that can occur and casue damage or injury (hydrostatic transmissions should have the wheels chocked to prevent rolling), just simply cracking open a line fitting will do the job--use care and safety not to get too close to the oil spray which can injure your eye or cut your flesh. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-11-02          99742

--use care and safety not to get too close to the oil spray which can injure your eye or cut your flesh.
====================
How close is too close?

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-02          99745

All depends on the back-pressure (with machine off), size of the orifice (fluid leakage hole) and volume. A high-volume leak with little pressure probably won't hurt/cut you---say, if a hose completely blows off a fitting (save, fluid in your eyes).
But take a leak with even a little volume and relativley high pressure and it will cut you finger off like a knife. Ever run your hand under or across the spray of a pressure washer? It is the same effect; you can hold the wand a foot away from your hand without hurting yourself but that same wand held 1/2" away from something will take the paint off. Put another way pressurized water at 30,000 psi will cut solid steel 12" thick in minutes like a torch! The idea is just keep away from the leak until it subsides to a drip---then it should be okay---in my opinion and experience. ....

View my Photos
beagle

2004-11-02          99747

Hydraulic fluid under pressure can also cause serious infection even if it doesn't cut the skin. Gangrene can settle in even if you don't initially feel serious pain. The fluid under pressure can penetrate the skin pores and start the infection.

Always wear long sleeves, gloves, and safety glasses when working on hydraulic lines.

For almost all systems that aren't electric-over-hydraulic, shutting down the tractor and releasing the pressure by moving the spool valve will work. There are times when pressure can get trapped in the lines from heat expansion, drift, and seal leaks. When a cylinder seal is bad, pressure build up can result from fluid leaking to the low volume side of the cylinder, resulting in trapped pressure. Attempt to jack the load off the cylinder to relieve the pressure. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-11-02          99748

One of the ways to see if the lines are in a neutral state is to see if the pins are loose on the cylinder that the lines operate. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login