Go Bottom

Ask a Stupid Question -- Shear Pins Special

View my Photos
millsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-01-03          103338

I must admit that I am a city boy who is making a slow migration to the farm life (hey, maybe they could make a TV show about this!).

This weekend my wife drove her tractor into a hole while mowing with her King Kutter rotary mower. By doing so the mower's shear bolt did its thing and sheared.

My question is this, are bolts of this type a special type of bolt or will any standard bolt work as a replacement? The bolt head has 307A & CYI on it, I assume this means something.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Marco Magnifico

2005-12-21          121472

FYI, those same markings are present on a set of "strut tower mounting bolts" for a 1966 Chevy II Nova that I just purchased from Classic Industries. Looks like a standard carriage bolt, about an inch long x 5/15". ....

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-12-21          121474

They make a special shear bolt, but most people use a regular bolt (not grade 8).

Good luck on the country way of life.

Bill ....

View my Photos
wingwiper

2005-12-21          121481

That is the temper of the metal in the bolt, so it will Shear. The harder the bolt, the less apt it is to shear and the more apt that you will have a repair bill for other than a shear bolt. You know like fuses, some people in my early days would by-pass the nusieance of the fuze by replacing with a penny or tin foil and then wonder why half of the dash went up in smoke the next time.. No one I know...... ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2005-12-21          121482

From my King Kutter owners manual " If you sheer the bolt that attaches the PTO shaft to the gearbox replace with a grade 2 bolt only." ....

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-12-21          121483

Before anybody else responds, note that the original question is nearly a year old

//greg// ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-12-21          121493

Greg,
do you think he may have it fixed or wrung in two by now?

Now, this is a good place for someone to tell how you know which grade a bolt is by the markings on the head. Also I understand the same holds for nuts.

kt ....

View my Photos
Billy

2005-12-21          121498

Grade 2 has no markings. Grade 5 has 3 lines. Grade 8 has 5 lines. Metric bolts will have the class stamped into the head. ....

View my Photos
Carldarnell

2006-01-04          122262

The american bolts are as Billy stated. However, I have seen bolts with 2 marks on them indicating a grade 4 bolt. Normally they start at three marks indicating a grade 5 bolt. They can then have 4 marks for grade 6, 5 marks for grade 7 and 6 marks for grade 8. Nuts with dashes around the flat area that contacts the parts held together are hard nuts, grade 8 I think. Nuts that have an indentation on three of the flats that a wrench would touch are locking nuts. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login